I got a lot of suspect JPG n PNG to test, is there a freebie offline program ?

Dex-chan lover
One of my hard drives went a little off. Using sha256 I am able to identify miss-matching media file. From backups I was able to restore content. Now my problem: I do not know if other content is corrupted besides the miss-matches. Every single miss-match was definitely bad.

Since JPG and PNG use similar coding to pack the media data. It's possible to read through the files and find stuff that does not unpack/decode. I have a windows machine, so a windows program is what I looking for. Using a viewer and spotting. Is a no, there are over 2 million files.

Can you help out ?

Have you tried to make a small script yet? The problem seems specific enough that it would warrant a script. It's probably within the capabilities of image libraries in your language of choice.

Dex-chan lover
Have you tried to make a small script yet? The problem seems specific enough that it would warrant a script. It's probably within the capabilities of image libraries in your language of choice.
I have some programming skills. I can muddle through something that exists. Or fiddle something together from samples and examples. I know there are lot's of libraries and DLL interfaces out there. That's where I fall down and go boom. I can't be very creative.

I know 99.5% is going to be good. It's the .5% I am after. Online testing is just a very big no way. I really need the offline program. I don't like the try-before-buy stuff. Because #1 it's usually very expensive. #2 might not do what they say. #3 if it's no good, uninstall might not remove all there spy telemetry.

The old days of very good shareware/freeware are gone. Or the developers are just dropping dead. The developer for a fantastic program QSORT passed away before publishing his source code. This is going to repeat a lot now.

imo you don't even need to be that creative since its a single job, just use a simple heuristic approach (retrieve a paths -> load it -> log it if it fails; maybe add multi-thread). 2 mil img files is at max 200gb which probably wouldn't take days to load. If you're looking for a program that does it all for you to avoid scripting then good luck but usually i spend more time setting up and learning new software than actually programming in general.

Dex-chan lover
Badpeggy, it's java, single threaded and slow. aka: The ugly girls still get laid when the bar closes.
Yes it looks like I will be doing the slow dance java.

I hope others see this thread and consider testing the content for defects and changes.
BTW, the whole reason for my troubles is the drive and Dell is sending a replacement. NOTE: Always buy 2 extra years of warranty. It cost me less than the price of a new drive.

Second edit: Bad Peggy is showing the drive contents is worst than first suspected. I have many readable sectors with bad data. BadPeggy, is not a bad girl after all.
(y)(y):)(y):)(y)(y)(y)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Won't Image.verify() from PIL suffice here?
Bad peggy is an all in one package deal, with required extra features and functions. It's geared for windows install. It's Java based so porting to anywhere is possible. It's really just the start param's that make it different.

I really thought it was going to be slow, "Being Java". It's not because multi-threading takes how many cores you got and uses them.

Besides I would have to use Python and someones script to make Image.verify() work. And a goggle search turned up with problems that Image.verify() doesn't always find the errors.

The only problem with peggy, is some .jpg's complain rasterbands that are not equal. Don't understand why not. I get the original again (since I compress always). And convert to PNG. PNG is a better container for B/W content. 99% of manga images.

Users who are viewing this thread