IDOL×IDOL STORY! - Ch. 44 - Vice Captain Battle

Dex-chan lover
thank you for the chapter, and I'm so happy for both of them!!!

I just noticed that Yuuri and Tsumugi are holding hands in here and here, it's just so cute!!!

Also, do we have an official height chart? Tsumugi is so small standing next to Yuuri lol

All my predictions have been right so far, but now I kinda hope I will be wrong, cuz now I'm really rooting for Mimisuke to win XD

Dex-chan lover
So assuming Ibuki beats Mimi and it's the White Stars facing elimination, I think Yuuri's the safe bet to be going home. It'd make sense in-universe, given that she lost her matchup, and also this chapter felt like it tied up her character arc neatly enough.

On the off-chance Mimi manages the upset and it's someone from the Black Stars going home, it'd probably be Koyuki -- though I don't think that'll happen.

Dex-chan lover
Also, do we have an official height chart? Tsumugi is so small standing next to Yuuri lol
There are a lot of studies out there that suggest asthma -- or more to the point treatment for asthma -- negatively affects growth rates in children. I dunno whether the mangaka consciously had that in mind when designing the two of them, but that's a pretty impressive attention to detail if he did.

Dex-chan lover
image.png
image.png

ch. 43 vs ch. 44😭😭😭

Dex-chan lover
This outcome was pretty predictable to be honest.
I do hope that Mimisuke is actually gonna win this otherwise they might aswell swap the entire blackstar/whitestar thing on their head

Dex-chan lover
Under-cooked imo.

This act is the main focus and likely emotional climax of the arc. Even if there's no space for an extra chapter because these two already got a lot of focus previously, you can't just do an Aria monologue and skip to Yuuri being fine now.
Give me Tsumu's actual emotions and thoughts that she's conveying and give me Yuuri's thoughts and how she's affected by it. Not an Aria monologue, that's for non-focus acts. Making the emotions land with an outsider narration is hard and needs more care.

Supporter
I did feel it was just a little bit too easy of a wrap on Yuuri's character development, like she's even calling Mimi Mimisuke? ... but it'll probably flow better on a re-read.

Anyway... you know the drill...

Training Camp Round 2: Star Battle Test - Results

Vanguard: Senba Ritsu VS Hitoto Hitoe - Ritsu wins 4-3 (White Stars 1, Black Stars 0)
Second Guard: Horyu Shiori VS Todoroki Urara - Urara wins 7-0 (White Stars 1, Black Stars 1)
Stalwart: Aoi Michiru VS Hiiragi Koyuki - Michiru wins 5-2 (White Stars 2, Black Stars 1)
Vice Captain: Futaba Yuuri VS Futaba Tsumugi - Tsumugi wins 5-2 (White Stars 2, Black Stars 2)
Captain: Nagisa Mimi VS Nanakusa Ibuki

White Star Reserves: Akagiri Hibana, Kokonoe Karin, Koinumaru Suzu
Black Star Reserves: Kotomori Anon, Toma Shuri
---
I though maybe something would happen to put off Mimi vs. Ibuki and have one of the reserves step in, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. As for who wins... there hasn't really been any narrative tension being built to this match, not like the previous matches, so it's hard to say. It really just depends on which team the soon-to-be-eliminated contestant is on.

As a reminder, the losing team will be judged, and the one person deemed unfit to debut will be eliminated. This could be one of the reserves, too, not just the five people doing battle. Theoretically even someone who won their individual battle isn't immune from being eliminated if they were on the losing team, but that seems extremely unlikely.

Ritsu, Urara, Michiru, and Tsumugi are likely safe since they won their battles. No way Hitoe gets eliminated at this point, and it's unlikely that this is how Koyuki's story ends either. Obviously, no matter who wins, neither Mimi or Ibuki are getting eliminated here. Of the competitors, Shiori or Yuuri is at highest risk of elimination. Here's the thing... both of them are on Mimi's team... which means Mimi's probably going to lose.

Shiori: She's been one of the highest ranked contestants since the start, so being eliminated now would be pretty shocking... which would make for a good moment. You gotta have someone from high up get eliminated every now and then to keep things fresh. And she did get blown out 7-0 by Urara; the judges could easily decide she's got a lot of potential, but she's not ready to debut. Sure, it seems like there's more that could be done with her character, but you could say the same of Mei from the first round.

Yuuri: She's been one of the highest ranked from the start like Shiori, so everything I said about that applies to Yuuri as well. Yuuri's whole character arc has been about her relationship with her sister, and now that's completely resolved. From a narrative standpoint, what's left for her to do if she sticks around? They could come up with something, sure, but... this would be a clean exit.

What about the reserves? Eh... I just don't think it would be dramatically satisfying for any of them to be eliminated like this, without even performing. Something is whispering to me that Anon has a chance to get cut... if Mimi wins, which would protect Shiori & Yuuri on the White Stars. If that happens, who's getting cut from the Black Stars? Not Urara or Tsumugi, who won their matches. Not Hitoe, Koyuki, or Ibuki, whose character arcs would be cut severely short (yes, I don't think Koyuki's finished with this). That leaves Anon or Shuri on the reserves, and Shuri can't get cut when we've barely gotten into her character. By process of elimination... Anon. IF Mimi wins. I don't think she will, I think Ibuki will win and either Shiori or Yuuri are getting cut.

This manga really is a great idea with great execution, because I sure as hell don't write this many words about a single other of the many manga I read!

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Tsumu-chan...😭
I bet it's gonna be a draw next battle lmao

Contributor
It's time for Mimi and Ibuki! Oshi vs Oshi! I didn't expect the showdown was this near!

Users who are viewing this thread