Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san - Vol. 18 Ch. 136 - Gamo-chan!! Go for it!!

Dex-chan lover
I don't know if you're fully referring to the mangaka cleanly drawing the panels or if you're talking about my redraw work on the places where text was overlaid on top of people's hairs XD; no but I agree, Nanashi-san this time clearly and cleanly drew the fight panels in such a way it was easy to follow.
I'll just take the opportunity and say it was both: Great job with the redraws! 😄

Dex-chan lover
impressive that Gamo didn't get a DQ considering she quite visibly beat the shit out of the other girl.

Dex-chan lover
impressive that Gamo didn't get a DQ considering she quite visibly beat the shit out of the other girl.
As long as it looks like you're trying to grapple or sweep, you're good.
That's not true, MT definitely still teaches throws and you'd have a big hole in your game without at least a couple to threaten with.
Yep. Sweep and dump at the very least.
Muay Thai don't really have a throw move, at least not on modern fighting scene tho. Only got some in ancient style (which forbidden nowadays since most of Muay Thai move is to knock ppl off, not to control or make them yield).
You can't grab and pull by the head, neck, or below the waist, lift them off the ground and slam them (bodyweight only), grab clothing, knee or elbow them while throwing, or strike them when on the ground. Dumping people on their butts is common. Specifics of rules vary by organization. Source: I am a Nak Muay and Judoka.

Last edited:
I like that this chapter pretty much spells out the effect Naoto & Nagatoro have had on each other, without mentioning the former, feels realistic that way

Dex-chan lover
As long as it looks like you're trying to grapple or sweep, you're good.

Yep. Sweep and dump at the very least.

You can't grab by the head, neck, or below the waist, lift them off the ground and slam them, knee or elbow them while throwing, or strike them when on the ground. Dumping people on their butts is common. Specifics of rules vary by organization. Source: I am a Nak Muay and Judoka.
Would you say this match was fairly authentic? I know very little about martial arts, so I was especially curious if the way she mixed Muay Thai in would be allowed.

Dex-chan lover
Would you say this match was fairly authentic? I know very little about martial arts, so I was especially curious if the way she mixed Muay Thai in would be allowed.
You're trying to snatch stuff and push each other's hands away and kinda wrist-fencing with them the whole time, so you get smacked on the arms and chest quite a bit, and it looked to me like Gamo was using her boxing technique to do that better. Also you're all the time trying to sweep at each other's ankles and end up getting little kicks and stuff, and it looks like she was using her roundhouse technique to do help out with that too. Neither one of those things exactly feels good when someone's trying to do that. Judo hurts. Don't read too much into "The Gentle Way." It's definitely a hard contact sport. It's fighting. You aren't hugging each other. She didn't do anything too egregious but was pushing it a little. But it always looked like she was trying to grab or sweep, not punch/slap or kick.

tl;dr: Gamo looked like she was using Boxing and Muay Thai techniques to help out with grabs and sweeps and got pretty rough doing it but did it in a way to not look like she was doing anything wrong enough to get called

Dex-chan lover
Also I can't super tell what Gamo gets thrown down with but my main candidates are De Ashi Harai, Kosoto Gari, or Harai Tsurikomi Ashi. Edit: Looking again I think it's the wrong side for Osoto Gaeshi and not Okuriashi Harai because looks like she only got one leg. EDIT EDIT: Might be Tsubame Gaeshi, since that's a sweep reversal.

IDK the names of MT throws (Ting means throw), but in Judo you'd call what Gamo got her Ippon with a kind of Koshi Guruma maybe?

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
i was surprised as well. is she one of the thickest manga characters so far?
Not counting Okusan of course, that is in a league of its own.
Shikki is built like a tank, she's very muscular and also thiccer than a bowl of oatmeal. And we've been blessed with many nude shots to appreciate her olympian body (the shower, the hotspring and the art club/school yard incidents). No wonder she caught Prez's attention.

The most important thing learnt from this chapter isn't Gamo and Hayachii's first meeting or their development as characters. The most important learnt is that Yoshi's ahoge growing three sizes was a diegetic and canon event! Seriously look at her ahoge in the flashback page compared to the present pages, HER AHOGE LEGIT GREW AND IT WASN'T JUST A MINOR CHANGE IN CHARACTER DESIGN. I MUST KNOW THE SECRETS BEHIND HER AHOGE!!!!

Dex-chan lover

All of the martial arts stuff in the series has been pretty authentic, one of the things I've really enjoyed. Small things like the first Nagatoro/Orihara match starting off with a bunch of handfighting whereas no one else's had at that point being used to show they're much more experienced than the previous matches makes me think Nanashi trains/trained.

AFAIK every throw that would be legal (and taught) in MT would be legal in judo. As the above poster mentioned MT's rules on throws are pretty specific (I believe you're also not allowed to step your feet behind theirs- pretty common in judo) and thus stricter than judo's.

The part about a more novice judoka footsweeping too hard and annoying the hell out of the other person is 100% realistic lol, new people kick the shit out of you while footsweeping.

Double-page supporter
this actually the first manga i read that talks a lot about judo and in a quite interesting way ,it is pretty nice seeing all these moves as well as side characters back-stories

Double-page supporter
yeah considering that her moves are slow compared to nagatoro but more powerful i expected the same , so it is quite nice to see her passing to the next round

Dex-chan lover
I really think the character development is the strongest part over the course of this manga

Dex-chan lover
70kg weight class? Those are some heavy tits.
Yeah, considering Gamo is one of the tallest girls. She is a bit skinny but i wouldn't think tits mcgee would be 40 ish pound heavier. Like 70kg is 154lbs which is around the average weight of a healthy male who is 5 foot 10 inches

Gamo sweep. You love to see it. It's kinda crazy this manga has turned into a sports manga, but I love it, as Nanashi most definitely has his knowledge of judo, making the matches quite entertaining as if you are watching a real match.

Users who are viewing this thread