Ikoku Nikki - Vol. 3 Ch. 12 - page.12

Dex-chan lover
Uffff that scene with the mom/car and that ending, man poor girl, her care taker/friend are being asses without knowing feelsbadman

Ooooof indeed. I get Makio, I can be like that as well. I also feel the way everything turned on a dime though. It's rough, but I love this series for how real it is.

Dex-chan lover
Aww man this chapter was a tough drink with no ice, huh? wondering what's gonna happen until the next chapter is going to kill me!

Asa really does need a friend like Emiri. If her feelings are 100% genuine (which I think they are, as in a previous chapter she told Asa that she can be the real her only around her) then I feel like she can become a pillar of support when things start to get 'real' for Asa. Even though Asa and Maiko do not have the same relationship as a mother and child, I'm sure Asa will be relying on Emiri rather than Maiko as there's just some things you really can't tell your guardian figure.

I feel like we're starting to see Asa's dream world staring to crumble down. She will have to come to terms with her grief in her own way, which she has been doing, but I think it will soon be the time where she may need some external support.

@dokidoki

That's fair. I feel like Maiko kinda snapped due to the sudden appearance of Asa's friend. My interpretation with her making dinner really quickly seemed like she understood she said something quite mean, but felt awkward and wanted to make up for it a bit. Asa's outburst is understandable though, she can't read Maiko's mind and probably found it really bizarre.
As for her friend, I'm not sure why she's trying to get Asa to change her looks, like with hair this chapter and makeup last chapter. I assume its because she's discovering these things now and finding them interesting, and she's trying to get Asa to understand these new things as well. I'm not well versed in the workings of young girls' friendships. I don't see this as her being an 'ass' per se, just she's trying to continue a flow of normal interaction. I do however understand that things can be said to someone with no real meaning that can cause feelings to get hurt, but in this case she was asking Asa about hair, saw her give a fairly uninterested response back and just let that topic go.

Dex-chan lover
@Jakeandhistoe interesting, I took maiko as being too into her work to care for MC as in let me whip up some piece of crap for you to eat so I can get back to working blah blah blah scenario and about the friend talking about MC changing hairstyles and make up and stuff imo I took it as her trying to change MC's environment and to introduce something new and fun into MC's depressing life atm to help her out BUTTTT I also thought OH they just entered highschool so it could just be her wanting to change her image and doing it with MC since they are now at a higher lvl and gota be more cool/adults.......but what I meant by ass was that the friend didn't realize that MC wasn't fine even tho she isn't fine and that she's getting worse in a sense and no ones noticing atm ( I actually think its a good thing aka realizing your reality/then accepting reality and its nice to see that start happening even tho its sad for MC)

@dokidoki

Reasons why this manga is quite good, quite different interpretations really give a lot of insight into these characters. Makes them all the more endearing imo.

She hasn't voiced it out but I get the feeling Emiri knows that Asa isn't 'fine'. She was there when she blew up in that staff room behind the door. I'm sure she knows, but she's in such a difficult position. I've not experienced anything like Asa has gone through, but I have been in a similar position to Emiri. It's very difficult in knowing how to handle and act around someone who lost people very close to them. Thing is, she's not said anything to her. You really don't want to delve into things people are not ready to express when it comes to grief. The best way is to be there for them, but also let them deal with their feelings on their own terms. We're seeing Asa going through the process of disbelief to acknowledgement and accepting reality as you have put it. And I agree, its an incredibly sad thing to see. From what I've been told, there is no feeling that is like or similar to grief when it comes to death. People deal with it in so many different ways, and this manga does such a good job in telling a story of someone going through this process.

Fed-Kun's army
interesting that they removed the shoujo ai tag. wonder why it was there in the first place

Double-page supporter
Boy, I can relate to both Asa and Makio in this chapter. I grew up with a parent like that and yeah, it sucks getting snapped at because they’re too engrossed in whatever they’re doing to notice that their kid needs attention, validation, or just has a question even. I was used to it by the time I was a teenager, but I don’t get the feeling that Asa has much experience with it.

But of course I grew up to have a similarly short fuse when I’m focused on something (it seems like we get the best and worst traits of our parents) and people tend to wear me out. Sooooo I definitely empathize with Makio as well.

Dex-chan lover
Such a good manga. The characters and their relationships and conflicts feel so real

Dex-chan lover
God I'm so similar to Makio, like I'm stupid introverted and I hate when people talk to me when I'm working, but like it's just hard because I do value my relationships

Users who are viewing this thread