Ikoku Nikki - Vol. 6 Ch. 26 - page.26

Dex-chan lover
>makio blush

im ded

nice arrival mention i still dont understand the point of the chinese old dude part

Dex-chan lover
This really drives home to me that I'm in my fifties and I'm still trying to figure out if my writing sucks.

Fed-Kun's army
Asa on the last page:
cjX0gP0.png

"Actually, can I have it? it makes me happy. " "WHY?!" ... Great Chapter, but I really don´t understand that small part. Does someone have an idea, why Makio wants to keep it or is that something which will get clear once we learn more about the enigma that is Makio.

@nasenbein

My thoughts are we'll either get the full lyrics at some point and it'll make more sense OR since Makio is able to express herself most in writing it seems, she's able to decipher Asa's words as feelings and those are precious to her in a way.

Dex-chan lover
You are supposed to be proud of stuff your kids do, even if it's artistically awful. It's basically a fundamental requirement of not being a shit parent and Makio might be strange, but she's not awful ;) So although she's maybe not really all that much of a parental figure it makes sense to me she'd want to keep that ...

Anyway, lovely chapter as always. Asa's clearly still trying to work things out. Worst thing about events like this is probably that the world at large just doesn't care. Parents dead? Too bad, school goes on, you still don't know what to do with your life, you can't understand your best friend, and you suck at music. Nothing's different, life moves on ...

Aggregator gang
@nasenbein I am not a writer but i do works on design, if I'm using my glasses to see why and how Makio wanted to keep Asa's lyrics, because it's badly endearing, it's something only a teenager and young soul able to write, something only Asa at that moment and age could write, and that's what makes it special.

It might be bad for professional standard, but *something* doesn't have to be perfect and good for someone to like that *something*. Especially when it was made by someone you know or (even!)dear to you.

if anyone is wondering what the lines in different languages are, they're basically what each character had said previously in the chapter, just in a different language. I'll put the quotes here anyway because I put in a lot of effort trying to read alphabets I'm not familiar with and type it into Google translate haha.

the teacher: "Is there something you want to talk about?"
(I think it could also be "anything")

Emiri: "Because it's annoying"
(it's probably "you're" instead of "it's" but this is what Google gave me lol)

with the girl with the guitar: "She is irritating"
(tell me if I missed it but I couldn't find the actual quote this one was referring to)

Makio: "I'll kill them with everything I have"
(I'm not sure whether this one is a one-to-one quote from earlier either)

Asa's mom: "Asa, your mother loves you"
(I know this is in English but I figured I'd put it here in case anyone was having trouble reading it)

edit: I mostly did this to get the gist of the quotes, so if there's anything mistranslated, sorry! feel free to correct these haha

Asa's lyrics are probably something that shows teenager's unsophisticated but charming imagination. Makio is a professional writer, so she already knows the technical aspect of writing. Asa's lyrics probably reminded her of the primitive desire for creation.

Dex-chan lover
There’s plenty of excellent philosophy that looks at language and how it contains the paradox of repeatability and difference, something familiar and foreign, common and singular. I think this manga has been hitting on these existential and ethical themes that not only are we unable to fully know or comprehend other people, even in our most intimate relationships, but ultimately there’s always something foreign lodged within us as well. We will always fail to know how or why we feel certain things, but it’s in that failure, that estrangement from ourselves that we find struggle and meaning.

I extra love Asa’s bit about recognizing a potential traumatic event unfolding before her, and being unable to stop it. This manga is so good at blending in complex and dense concepts with humor.

Dex-chan lover
This reminds me of when my mom showed me that she kept a silly story I wrote back in gradeschool. Cute to her, horribly embarassing to me.

Aggregator gang
“Is this gonna be one of those embarrassing things that you suddenly remember when you’re trying to go to sleep?”

Yep, probably. Always happens in the shower for me.

Fed-Kun's army
In the end, do we truly understand anyone? Do we even understand ourselves?

Our feelings and thoughts we wish to communicate is sometimes going to be a challenge.
This chapter reminds me of Fune wo Amu on how people are always trying to bridge that gap, to cross the ocean of words to say what you mean.

Dex-chan lover
This is the first time they somehow made an allusion to the manga's title, right ?

I really loved the fact that Makio wanted to keep the song as a memory hehehe.

I was wondering last time, about the Scorpion, now that we even get the sign of the zodiac, I think the author refers to Asa's struggles because of her "nature" like for example here:

Scorpio Zodiac Sign

Strengths: Resourceful, brave, passionate, stubborn, a true friend

Weaknesses: Distrusting, jealous, secretive, violent

Scorpio likes: Truth, facts, being right, longtime friends, teasing, a grand passion

Scorpio dislikes: Dishonesty, revealing secrets, passive people

Now, I don't know if Asa's birthday is between October and November, but she seems to be a scorpion

Users who are viewing this thread