Ikoku Nikki - Vol. 7 Ch. 32 - page.32

i rly love how this chapter addressed toxic masculinity also touno is becoming one of my fav characters lol
thanks for the update!

Aggregator gang
Every male in the world could use a readthrough on this chapter. It's something so simple, so obvious, but something we'll most likely never be told.

Dex-chan lover
Oof, that's the first time I've heard about Japanese med schools doing female applicants dirty like that but a quick google search confirms that it's a real life issue. Knowing how sexist their society can be, I can't say I'm surprised.

Glad to see Touno is back! Media tends to hold lawyer-types on such a pedestal, it's refreshing to see one depicted with such human flaws.

Dex-chan lover
My Dad never said boys can't cry and I never asked him. I have heard, stop your crying or I'll give you something to cry about. They never did give me something more to cry about though. My parents were terrible at abusing me. I have read manga, and seen anime that have totally made me sob. I also think that if a man does not shed a few tears at the birth of their child, they are missing something vital. I love how it was all over the place, bouncing between different POVs.

THIS. IS SO GOOD. I love the acknowledgement of toxic masculinity, i love the pacing, and the final question about asa's dad - BOOM. that was so well done. Can't wait to keep reading.

Also, the friendship between the two guys is so nice 😊

Dex-chan lover
They say this is a study of 2 women with a large age gap living together, but that doesn't give it justice... It goes way beyond that, from life to society and relationships, is so good that it's sad to think that many people NEED to read this but they never will.

I loved the baseball part "You have to stay and be miserable here!!" fuck, that guy could've been doing so many things but instead he's stuck there wasting time because it would be unmanly to quit the team.

I hope Emiri will be okay, you know... because I don't want any rumors or gossips going around just because he declined an idiot.

The lawyer is always so interesting to watch

Double-page supporter
"I can't accept that" bitch, what? You don't get a say in whether or not someone dates you. I hope he doesn't turn out to be a bigger problem for Emiri later on.

I heard about the medical uni thing before and yeah, it was real messed up and even prompted a trending hashtag on twitter and a light novel was made loosely based on it and Japan's patriarchal ideals (Sexiled)

Dex-chan lover
@tickub Well, some of us were too weird to ever be given the option to be in the "contort yourself for masculinity" club in the first place. In my case, all those guys were busy trying to make my life hell. Gives you a certain perspective.

Dex-chan lover
That manga keeps doing unexpected things; current Japanese political scandals now?!

That the lawyer stays around is very interesting. I was wondering about where he fits with "the crew" long term ... at this point I wouldn't even be surprised if it turned into some poly arrangement. Hmm. No, sounds like "too much of a hassle" ...

Supporter
I just love the irony of women are inferior to men therefore we need to make their lives harder by screwing with their exam points.

If you really think someone is not as capable at something, you should either help them or not, but not try to actively devalue them. Otherwise, you don't really think of them as inferior but superior, you know.

You don't use special restraining equipment on a prisoner cause you think he's weak, though that might not be the best example for this case.

Dex-chan lover
@jackslate The "argument" was that women would quit work anyway once they become mothers, so spots in the school shouldn't be wasted on them.
Safe to say that the underlaying assumption there is a huge issue for career's of women everywhere. Even if of course such discrimination usually isn't as blatant or visible.

Dex-chan lover
After years of actively trying to never fit, and go against everything, I kept crashing into people that would love me, accept me and support me against my desires, now I'm glad that they did.

Who are you trying to deceive with that scared bravado, do you think people will like you more be being an asshole? What decided that your desires and insecurities could go over other people's rights and wills?

I'm sad and angry at all those frustrated fathers just making their boys as miserables as themselves. I'm thankful that mine didn't and I hope that I won't.

Fed-Kun's army
Man, I've never seen toxic masculinity so beautifully described. I love this series to death.

Fed-Kun's army
That topic of toxic masculinity was really good and didn't feel out of place at all because one of the main themes in Ikoku Nikki has always pointed out how the characters struggle against society's expectations (regardless male or female) like Mako and now Kasamachi. That guy who got rejected going I just can't accept that is super creepy, no one owns him anything, least of all love. This manga continues to be a gem.

Users who are viewing this thread