Ikoku Nikki

Dex-chan lover
It’s so strange that someone gave this a one. I’ve noticed a lot of the high 8s and 9+ manga tend to have one 1 rating, like an angry, bored, and lonely person decided to just go down the list giving 1s out of spite. So strange.

I feel like I binged this too much in one go and I can't digest it all properly, but I think this is high quality stuff.

Contributor
this is very good, character studies like this are my favorite

Dex-chan lover
This has to be one of the best well written pieces of fiction I've ever read. It's so human and relatable and genuine.

So, I love Asa and I love Makio, but can Asa just fucken use her brain for once? 😂
I was a teenager once too, and I didn't behave as such a special snowflake like she is atm... I do get she is under pressure and dealing with a new guardian and loss of parents is hard, but girl... Stop sulking and start thinking. Use that head ugh... Her delusional behavior is really getting on my nerves because she focuses on what others have and what she doesn't have, and goes 'It's not fair' 'it's annoying'... Well, guess what, life is annoying, and instead of focusing on what others have, think about what YOU have (which she does in the end, but in the weirdest, most snowflakey way possible - the
"my aunt is a novelist and my parents are dead, so shouldn't I be good at writting lyrics by default?" thing...UGHHHHHHHH)
*ignore me, I just really wanna smack her so her brain engine gets working... 😩

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

You need to read something that will make you cry? Look no further. Some of my favorite manga are ones that tug at me and make me feel like crap, this one hits really hard emotionally.

This is not a story of perfect people doing nothing. Asa is at the same time a daughter you want to protect, and your past cringy lonely teenage years.

Such a masterpiece and it isn't even finished. The character interactions are human and so relatable-- every character is written well and nobody is relegated to a single dimension. The art is so light and crisp and the translation is just.... so good. I'm in awe at how amazing this is. The MC is portrayed realistically and the adults are this perfect blend of maturity and immaturity that somehow sums up EXACTLY what adulthood really is like. This is a complex exploration on grief and family that everyone should read.

Thank you very much for translating, I look forward to every new chapter! (There's no weird incest stuff, by the way, and thank god for that.)

Double-page supporter
I see someone added the "Award Winning" Format tag to this. I do not think that applies to Ikoku Nikki. I did some research and I saw that Ikoku Nikki was nominated for and ranked in the 2019 and 2020 Manga Taisho Awards but it did not win the award/1st Place; it placed 4th and 10th, respectively, for those contests. It also placed in the Kono Manga ga Sugoi! Rankings for 2019 and 2020 in the Female Reader's category, it did not reach 1st for either of those years; it placed 4th and 10th respectively. There needs to be an "Award Nominated" Format tag for works that were nominated for awards, but only placed, not win the award.

hei, answer my quetion about chap 29...
emily is lesbian? and she answer to makio but not to asa?

@laan
Yeah, Emiri is lesbian for what we know now, and I guess she can't really talk to Asa about it, but Makio kinda noticed it, hence she recommended her the movie a few chapters ago (that movie doesn't show lesbian love explicitly, but it does portray a strong love and friendship among two women), so I believe Emiri feels at ease to talk about things woth Makio, she's an adult and quite open-minded. Then again, I think the last message she sent was not to Makio but to the girl she was with, I think they share the same affection towards each other. *it was kinda obvious with the blushing, fingers touching and legs rubbing underneath the table 😂

Am I the only to have the pages not in the right order when reading ? It just keep going back and forth btw different scenes inside the same chapter and I have to reconstitute the scenes as I read like some kind of puzzle

Dex-chan lover
@Cleopapatte It's called nonlinear storytelling/narrative. They are (or should be) in order. Those fractured scenes are usually arranged by some internal logic (ie they talk about toxic masculinity in the present and it shows struggling in the club with it on the next page or an example of an entitled boy after having been turned down) instead of strictly chronologically.

Users who are viewing this thread