I'm an Evil God - Ch. 96 - Handing Out Slaps in the Face Like Crazy

Group Leader
@allenallenallen333 "Changing that to "-ny" is too weird."

I thought it was cute. What are the chances you'd find a bunch of dead girls with names that all happen to be colours.

Are you sure that's even actually her name? Maybe they're calling her 青儿 because she was literally the cyan one of the group.

EDIT: Also have TOOR Scans dropped this?

Ah, those dreadful days when we read @allenallenallen333 ‘s Interesting fact of the day, saying he would drop said series, after 100+ chapters. Now, he drops it on the first chapter! 🥺

Power Uploader
@estelion If everyone nowadays automatically take that no releases in less than 3 days = drop, then yeah, I think most of our series could be considered "dropped

@allenallenallen333 I think it was translated as [color]+y as an homage to the Pacman ghosts. Their colors are the same—more or less.
9CQp7Ww.png

Dex-chan lover
i happy that allen translated a chapter of a series i look but sad he is not picking it up Q-Q

Power Uploader
@estelion
I don't think it's her real name. 青儿 is most likely just a nickname. The girls died and probably forgot their real names. Then they gave each other nicknames based on the colors of the clothes they wore.
I guess it's up to the translators to see where they draw the lines between actual Pinyin names and translated nicknames.

This is a stretch but an example would be the name Uzumaki Naruto. Before we learned the names of his parents and the existence of the Uzumaki clan, it's totally possible to name him a completely different way, since he's an orphan and you can't be sure if he made up his own name. Uzumaki means whirlpool and Naruto means the ramen topping fishcake, so technically you can call him Whirlpool Fishcake or just Whirlpool Naruto. Naruto's belly has the Nine Tails seal that looks like a whirlpool and he loves eating ramen. The Leaf symbol also has a whirlpool. But calling him Whirlpool Naruto would feel weird, right?

@Baklava
You did bring up a good point. If I were the translator, I probably would go with "Meat" if the owner always treats the pig in a derogatory manner and makes jokes about cooking the pig all the time. Translating it as "Meat" would help reinforce that. There's no right answer so in the end. I guess it's just the translators' preferences. I can totally change it back to Cyany.

I imagine they translated her name to Cyany because they were all named after their color schemes. Seems like it was taken literally like if you were to translate a pig's name to "Meat" because the character named their pig the Chinese word for meat and made a joke about eating them. Similar for the "-y" thing, since they already translated her name to Cyan they seem to have taken it the extra step and translated the Er that way, like if someone's name was Jennifer they might be Jen Er or Jenny.

Of course I don't know the style rules for translation, so you'd know better than I.

*Edit* oh, looks like @allenallenallen333 was thinking the same thing and just disagreed.

Dex-chan lover
MY BOY ALLEN!!! So glad to see you work on this even if it was just one chapter.

Group Leader
@allenallenallen333

"This is a stretch but an example would be the name Uzumaki Naruto."

It's a stretch because that's his actual name, and everyone in that franchise has an odd naming scheme. Scarecrow, screw, salad, bolt etc. It's not a nickname, or a reference to some aspect of his appearance.

It's a completely different situation to a group of multicoloured ghosts using their colours as their identifiers. Let's step away from the Chinese for a moment. If they spoke English where colours aren't used as names, might they still nickname each other by Orange, Cyan etc.?

I think they might, meaning that Cyany etc. is not just completely appropriate, but preferred.

Users who are viewing this thread