I'm in Love with the Villainess - Vol. 7 Ch. 35 - There can be only one

Dex-chan lover
I dunno why people are arguing over Yu lol

She was assigned male at birth for crying out loud. And then in the Empire arc we get another transwoman with the same problem (only her "default" form was male) and Yu's like "omg she just like me fr". Labels are for those who label themselves. Yu identifies with transgender people, she's trans.

Dex-chan lover
just don't try this whole "LN implied it so it's obviously going to be in this manga and if you disagree you are ignorant because you hate minorities" bit that makes people more likely to look at you funny, then get jaded to further interactions on such topics
LN didn't imply it. Rei monologues about it and the mistreatment. It's an obvious, blunt allusion. It's also important to the point, exactly because it's all partly an allusion to that real world issue. Then we meet other characters in a similar position. It's very, very straightforward. The author didn't do all that by accident or by "coincidence."

Leaving that part of it out would slightly mess with the point of that arc, especially since Rei (the author) specifically thinks about it and comments on her views (even briefly discussed dysphoria) and talks about the treatment back home. It's part of why she is so sympathetic to the situation. It's literally part of her backstory.

Most damning, Rei even mentions how the coders must have buried this Yu situation, so as to keep it safe for the "target demo." So wouldn't it be "funny" for the manga to do the same thing. And if it wasn't meant as an allusion to trans issues, why was Rei suspecting the coders needed to bury it to prevent backlash?

The reason why people can get upset is because a select few will pretend all of this isn't happening and that it isn't beyond obvious in the novels. So you're left either questioning their literacy or their morals. I don't know which is worse. In my experience those people, after further discussion, have nearly always turned out to be exactly what I expected they would. It's often not just a literacy issue.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
LN didn't imply it. Rei monologues about it and the mistreatment. It's an obvious, blunt allusion. It's also important to the point, exactly because it's all partly an allusion to that real world issue. Then we meet other characters in a similar position. It's very, very straightforward. The author didn't do all that by accident or by "coincidence."

Leaving that part of it out would slightly mess with the point of that arc, especially since Rei (the author) specifically thinks about it and comments on her views (even briefly discussed dysphoria) and talks about the treatment back home. It's part of why she is so sympathetic to the situation. It's literally part of her backstory. Most damning, Rei even mentions how the coders must have buried this Yu situation, so as to keep it safe for the "target demo." So wouldn't it be "funny" for the manga to do the same thing.

The reason why people can get upset is because a select few will pretend all of this isn't happening and that it isn't beyond obvious in the novels. So you're left either questioning their literacy or their morals. I don't know which is worse. In my experience those people, after further discussion, have nearly always turned out to be exactly what I expected they would. It's often not just a literacy issue.
cool, I know you run with people who are racist towards the Japanese people and only like reading lesbians and trans characters, so feel free to keep having such opinions

Typing out seven paragraphs about how much you don't care about this makes it look like you actually do care, quite a bit
at most it was a paragraph split out to look better on the forum :kek:

Dex-chan lover
cool, I know you run with people who are racist towards the Japanese people and only like reading lesbians and trans characters, so feel free to keep having such opinions

at most it was a paragraph split out to look better on the forum :kek:
And another one proves the "literacy or morals" test isn't too bad. Yes....somehow....I'm racist?....Ok....I'll have to sit and think about that one for a bit...Good talk!

Dex-chan lover
And another one proves the literacy or morals test. Yes....somehow....I'm racist?....Ok....I'll have to sit and think about that one for a bit...
IDK if you are yet, I've yet to see you spout it... but I have seen you like posts with the guy who's entire counter argument was that the japanese are an inferior race who's only redeeming factor is how much yuri and GD they make... and that was a long standing position of that guy

it's a yellow flag

Dex-chan lover
IDK if you are yet, I've yet to see you spout it... but I have seen you like posts with the guy who's entire counter argument was that the japanese are an inferior race who's only redeeming factor is how much yuri and GD they make... and that was a long standing position of that guy
Ummm.....ok....?...Funnily enough (or maybe another one of those "coincidences") you managed to ignore my initial, longer response comment, to instead go for....whatever this has been. Once again, good talk.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
I dunno why people are arguing over Yu lol

Yeah, I just binged this manga this week and people should not be deterred from it thinking it woke cancer or preachy or overly political or anything like that. The original webnovel source may be different but this manga is honestly very light-hearted and fun and you would not think it is sexually political at all unless you start reading people's comments. Yuu's character can easily be interpreted with a wide scope for reader discretion and Yuu a minor/secondary character in the story anyway.

Overall, this manga has that, "Everyone's a lesbian!" fun vibe that Citrus has and you just accept that as part of the context of the story. And while it is not overly suggestive or teasing, there is enough allowance for reader expectation to be excited for that inevitable(?) girl-on-girl action that is a part of the appeal (for me at least, and others I'm sure) of yuri manga. Where it does fall down a bit, imo, is in the emotional intensity of Rei. She is a bit detached, lacking that burning, must have my lover, romantic passion. This is likely mostly due to the setting of recognizing that she is reincarnated in a game world and makes her feel like she is detached from it with her emotions. Her flat and repetitive , "I love you" comes across as a bit weak at times.

But overall this is still great. Don't let other people ruin it for you! Also hope to see some Related Works racy doujins in future! :devilish:

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, I just binged this manga this week and people should not be deterred from it thinking it woke cancer or preachy or overly political or anything like that. The original webnovel source may be different but this manga is honestly very light-hearted and fun and you would not think it is sexually political at all unless you start reading people's comments. Yuu's character can easily be interpreted with a wide scope for reader discretion and Yuu a minor/secondary character in the story anyway.

Overall, this manga has that, "Everyone's a lesbian!" fun vibe that Citrus has and you just accept that as part of the context of the story. And while it is not overly suggestive or teasing, there is enough allowance for reader expectation to be excited for that inevitable(?) girl-on-girl action that is a part of the appeal (for me at least, and others I'm sure) of yuri manga. Where it does fall down a bit, imo, is in the emotional intensity of Rei. She is a bit detached, lacking that burning, must have my lover, romantic passion. This is likely mostly due to the setting of recognizing that she is reincarnated in a game world and makes her feel like she is detached from it with her emotions. Her flat and repetitive , "I love you" comes across as a bit weak at times.

But overall this is still great. Don't let other people ruin it for you! Also hope to see some Related Works racy doujins in future! :devilish:
that's been my opinion, but Rei is dethatched, she herself feels as such and it's been commented especially by her friend how she has changed rapidly over a short time once they got to the "start" of the game

Dex-chan lover
agreeing with someone using woke as a pejorative does nothing but debase your "wahh dont call me ignorant" protestations. never mind "being anything other than a girl is a trend" which is probably meant to be some sort of gutless pitch towards "trans trender" mewlings. yuri is not for either of you. i assure you both future characters and events will have you removing yourselves from at least this series. It is beyond obtuse to argue about text you haven't even read, for an interpretation that flies in the face of what the author stands for.

Double-page supporter
yuri is not for either of you.
Sorry, no one gatekeeps me from liking what I like and interpreting works how I see them. It is a testament to the strength of the art and story that a wide audience can appreciate it. Personally, I read with a generous eye, looking for chances to bestow appreciation, not criticism. I certainly don't need to reach outside the pages on offer for validation or reinforcement of my takes, as if they would be shattered by a panel or two that doesn't strongly enough promote a strict dogma by which I define and limit myself.

Unless this manga takes a full-on Rent-A-Girlfriend dive in quality, I am confident that I will continue to like it. That freedom of being able to accept a variety of storylines and character developments is a wonderful thing. It's sad to see others basically on the verge of hating this great manga and wanting to go back to the webnovel because only therein can be found the "true message" that meets their test of purity.

Bitterness doesn't have to be contagious unless you let it. I certainly reject catching it from someone who would condescendingly espouse, on the hallowed medium of internet message forums no less (lol), that "yuri is not for you".

Dex-chan lover
I simply stated queer media is not for bigots, certainly not for transphobes. It intrinsically is not gonna court people who hate queer people in any capacity. This is not gatekeeping, but being definitional. Did I ever say this would stop those types from reading it? No I didn't, just that it is not going to be agreeable. Did I ever say stop reading this manga and return to the light novel/web novel? Nope, didn't say that either and I have no idea where "hating the manga factors", literally all anyone has said is that it's been faithful and that this content will be here in the near future. Considering, since the web novel, there has been the release of the JP light novel, the English translation of the LN (Author is english speaking and had a hand in it), the JP spinoff of SSCC and its associated ENG translation, which have all endured with the same textual body, it'd be silly to somehow think things would suddenly change for the manga in significant ways. The manga will ultimately be the truncated version of the story, in some aspects, as its a different medium.

Did I assert there was a "singular true" interpretative message. No not really. I just pointed out where the text was explicitly in support of trans people. Which it has been even before this point, see the "Are you a Homosexual" conversation (LN) wherein Rei asserts that sex doesn't matter to her but gender does in regards to her identity as a lesbian. It's a very clear, "sex is separate from gender" stance that only got changed slightly in the process of adaptation. I could say its much more foolish to afford an internet forum post with the capacity to gatekeep, or even queer and trans people's distaste for your presence (that we are well aware we have no bearing on) in our spaces as such.

Dex-chan lover
yuri is not for either of you.
ah yes, the several month old account is going to tell 2 3 year old accounts what they can and cant read because of your own weird sense of moral superiority on issues related to gender dysphoria :huh:

maybe 🪓-kun should take this one just for the funny :smugchisato:

Dex-chan lover
Me being trans is a "weird sense of moral superiority" sure buddy that doesn't come across as anything other than transphobic. Positioning us as unreliable narrators of our own experiences is just bigotry flat out. I've been reading yuri for 15 years, when scanlation groups organized in IRC's. You're out of your depth in multiple ways. I will repeat what I said. yuri is not going to cater to bigots. it isn't for them intrinsically. If that makes you mad idk maybe stop being a bigot and think critically for a minute. Although I'd say you've not convinced me you're capable of that. If you don't think yuri media is queer media than I'd suggest you get a doctor to do something about the abscessed regions of your brain.

Dex-chan lover
Me being trans is a "weird sense of moral superiority" sure buddy that doesn't come across as anything other than transphobic. Positioning us as unreliable narrators of our own experiences is just bigotry flat out. I've been reading yuri for 15 years, when scanlation groups organized in IRC's. You're out of your depth in multiple ways. I will repeat what I said. yuri is not going to cater to bigots. it isn't for them intrinsically. If that makes you mad idk maybe stop being a bigot and think critically for a minute. Although I'd say you've not convinced me you're capable of that. If you don't think yuri media is queer media than I'd suggest you get a doctor to do something about the abscessed regions of your brain.
out of the 2 of us I'm the only one who's been thinking critically as I have read your arguments and countered or agreed with them as needed, you've just been emotionally rampaging around claiming silly things and ignoring the entire points others have been on not only this, but many other threads I've seen you on talking with a dogma that not even a mother could love

I am not mad about anything going on in the manga, I'm tired of this game you play where everyone opposed to you in anything is automatically a biggot and your continued misusage of the english lexicon to try and justify it and the myriad of absurd things you do and claim are foolish, within this post you have:

1. misused phobia in an offensive way, a phobia is an evolutionary fear based on multiple hundreds of generations of interactions, trans people have not existed nearly as long in human evolution as needed and been a threat to warrant such a reaction from people so you loop all the way back around to trans people actually being formerly dangerous when you use the term

2. positioned yourself as the sole moral and intellectual arbiter in the discussion and devalued any opposition to a mere brain injury driven by hate, despite being on the side who has attacked others with hate by association

3. you conflate a category that has existed far longer than queerness in the US, and has no social framework to exist in japan, to being solely their domain, despite the dominating force behind yuri being strait Japanese men and women which if they did not consume it then it would not have existed

all I have done is look at people crying wolf about how characters and scenes in the LN had those characters be trans, but that never manifested in the manga and as such, I will continue to not believe it even if it turns out true after this discussion with you, and all Ash has done was say "guys just enjoy the manga and don't argue over trans people in the comments" to which you tell him to get out of this category because he is hateful for not agreeing with you

also if you hit me with this "yuri belongs to the queer community only and you don't belong" when you know nothing else about me then I'm just going to not respond, you don't know if I am trans, gay, or anything else and if I am... by your logic it is my field to say stuff about it, and the only place it matters is in my head and whoever my partner is :huh:

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
The moral superiority label comes from a mere reader authoritatively asserting, not just intention of the product, but how it should be received by others ,and of course casting judgment where someone else's opinion differs from your own. Like, at this point in the manga, Yuu could be transgender or just in disguise. Maybe the third boy child in the world setting gets ritually sacrificed? Who knows!?! Seriously! I don't think that is some sort of 'outrageous' hot take for which, "Reee! Transphobia!" needs to be the Pavlovian response. FWIW, either outcome is perfectly fine with me. Other readers can have whatever interpretation they like.

If there is some editorial leeway, I could see a foreign country power in the manga introduce a love potion effect amongst the main cast and a non-explicit lesbian orgy ensuing for a one-chapter arc. That would be fine too. It would be somewhat surprising, but it's manga, it could happen. Brace yourself. Comic Yuri Hime has fan-service lesbian brothel stories as well, as you know.

As far as yuri being queer media, this is again you trying to authoritatively claim something to the exclusion of other demographics who enjoy the media. It is also a very dubious claim, especially when talking about Comic Yuri Hime. A quick Google search confirms what I already knew:

From: https://www.animefeminist.com/yuri-is-for-everyone-an-analysis-of-yuri-demographics-and-readership/

The modern yuri audience is extremely varied, and no single group within it (except for yurijin) has a consistent majority. As of 2017, the largest yuri manga publication, Comic Yuri Hime, boasts a readership consisting of approximately 60% men and 40% women.

I think you are unnecessarily bringing your own real world issues into entertainment media, so it's not surprising your castigations will be rejected by others. When Star Wars fans want to argue that they think the Empire was in right, they aren't getting shouted down as being real-world pro-genocide. Similarly, yuri fans who like to see attractive female characters suggestively (or not) interacting with one another, and read and interpret characters accordingly with that emphasis, don't need your shouts of "Wrongthink!" or "Transphobia!" either. That kind of judgment is not received well and goes right in the trash where it belongs.

Dex-chan lover
Where it does fall down a bit, imo, is in the emotional intensity of Rei. She is a bit detached, lacking that burning, must have my lover, romantic passion. This is likely mostly due to the setting of recognizing that she is reincarnated in a game world and makes her feel like she is detached from it with her emotions. Her flat and repetitive , "I love you" comes across as a bit weak at times.
This is actually a relevant plot point and will be used against her later. It's one of her character flaws that she's so busy being analytical and detached from her surroundings that Claire thinks Rae would be fine even if she died.

Inori's writing is generally very overt and direct when it comes to queerness. In the spin-off manga, Claire digresses for a full page to verbally rebuke Rae from calling her a Cabaret Girl because she meant it negatively. And talks about how sex workers (if we add in hostesses under that category) are not to be villified for the work that they do.

Users who are viewing this thread