I'm not a villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness, Doesn't Mean I'm a villain - Vol. 1 Ch. 4

Dex-chan lover
"Let's shun and ostracize someone with the power to destroy entire continents!"
Maybe not the best course of action? If you treat someone as the villain long enough, you justify them playing the part for real. And it will be a very, very bad day for anyone that was culpable for that when that day comes.

@Miguelco I mean surely they do it because they liked what happened in that story, riiight? It's not at all because they are i̶m̶b̶e̶c̶i̶l̶e̶s̶ people who can't learn from history.

Dex-chan lover
why all good mothers from other shoujo manga die young but piece of shit like this still alive

Double-page supporter
Poor Claudia, but please tell me that maid they fired you!
That maid saw practically nothing and practically accused her own mistress of doing something absurd, how can they let such a thing go?

Ill just give a 5-cent since the manga doesn't really do a good job characterising the parents outside of the emotional neglect.

Both the parents are terrified of her.

Like imagine having a child with the power of superman. If the child throws a tantrum there is literally nothing you can do. All you can do is pray at that point. Even the other spirit kings are scared of Gerald.

Now claudia has never thrown a tantrum, but this power is always in the back of the parents mind. This is also because Claudia isn't Gerald. They cant seem him unless he decides that they should. They dont know his nature. All they know is that in the shadow of their daughter hides a demigod with a history of destroying the world.

The novel doesn't say much about the mother, but it does hint at the mother feeling guilty about her inability to overcome her fear and love her daughter. That guilt expressed itself in this chapter where she is lashing out at Claudia. At some level she knows it, but her mind rationalizes it differently for the sake of her mental comfort.

The father is much more characterised. Literally going as far as him saying "I am a failure as a father" fairly early in the book. Eventually he just gives up on the idea of overcoming his fear and instead just tries to push the responsibility of loving his daughter onto the wider world. Even the scene in this chapter with him trying to reconcile after the event with Sylp, he literally goes "Oh.... good.... if you are ok then everything is fine." and leaves. At some level he knows that she isn't fine, but he is to much of a coward to actually try and fix it.

Both of her parents were ill equipped to the task needed of them.

As for the maids..... fuck the maids.... no redeeming stuff here. They are just mean girls gossiping. Jordan (the butler) literally goes "Pack your shit and gtfo!" to the maid in this chapter for accusing her the way she did.

Either I just write this because I feel the manga doesn't do a good enough job humanizing the parents and just makes them look stupid.

Dex-chan lover
It's so cringeworthy how hard the author tries to make the household shitty. 😅

Seing all the rage comments makes me smile instead. 🤣

Poor Claudia 😔 her mother hates her, her father is afraid of her...
Thank God she has good friends now 😢

A good example of a self-fulfilling prophecy here:
- They treat people (who are blessed by the dark spirit king) like shit ---> the people come to hate and begrudge society ---> they act against society ----> in comes bullshit hero or heroine to slay the "evil" ----> loop back to the start.

And to think, all this was started by scheming shitheads who acted against the first dark blessed hero who helped save their two-faced asses. Human stupidity at it's finest.
=========
Honestly, you'd expect better from parents who should know better but apparently worship the cult narrative wholeheartedly. orz

Hey Gerald how about you kill that maid
And screw the parents
They were told to "do a good job raising claudia" by the royal family

Honestly, I remember the parents being worse in the novel. They're not deeply characterized here, but I think a lot of their worse traits are minimized in comparison. Bland, shitty parents as opposed to neglectful and emotionally abusive.

Or maybe it being in manga form carries less impact...? Idk I'm of the opinion that both parents are beyond redemption and forgiveness. There's really no coming back from ignoring and neglecting your daughter for over a decade. And there's nothing that really justifies it either or makes me feel any bit of sympathy.

Group Leader
"Oh, she's blessed with a Dark Spirit that could easily destroy the Kingdom, or even the world!"
"Really? Then let's fuck with her childhood so much to make sure she hates humanity from her very core!"

Nice plan!

Group Leader
Wawawawa😱.... Claudia, I'm proud of you. You can stand up and not crying inthat situation, you amazing girl😀 Please next this series so good, I can't wait the time Claudia meet the heroine~...

Users who are viewing this thread