I'm Not a Villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness, Doesn't Mean I'm a Villain - Vol. 2 Ch. 12.1 - Publisher 2nd Edition

Dex-chan lover
some say that the light blessing only lightened her skin tone by some slight percentage, not a total bleaching.... as a non novel reader, that seems sensible enough....

like if it's 10 to 8 or 9 is way more acceptable than it being 10 to 0 all of a sudden.....

Wtf her skin change is a major point in the story for why people suddenly flipped their behavior in the novel
Even though is was around the point where I dropped the novel and will probably do the same with this to change a key part like this really is an odd choice

Group Leader
I’m glad they left her a chocolate girl! I mean, aside from weird sexualized gyaru stuff, there aren’t really any POC manga heroines.

Fed-Kun's army
In the words of our protagonist in the novel chapter 10 right after her skin color changed.
"I don’t understand what’s happening to me. This kind of development wasn’t in the novel."

Fed-Kun's army
Imagine if it was her hair that became lighter. Gyaru cinnamon roll.

Thanks for the update~
YASSSSS CHOCOLATE FL YASSSS

*inhale*

UNREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Umm, is this how I supposed to do it? lol

Dex-chan lover
@ravidya Wow okay dude. No. No I'm actually not doing that.

The whole tomboy/princess thing has NOTHING TO DO WITH HER SKIN COLOR or even HER character at all. I was using it as random example of changing a fundamental character attribute and how jarring that sort of thing is in media. I was not equating personality with skin color. I do not expect her personality to change at all whether she's white, black, green or purple.

My argument comes from the idea of character design in media. Every aspect of a character is designed the way they are for a reason. Which is obvious. You don't usually see a change like this because people get attached to these characters and changing them like that can come off as weird, regardless if there's an in universe explanation for it. Hell, Asuna's hair color being changed to blue was the same sort of weird detail I recall from Sword Art Online back in the day. It got a lot of the same complaints. Her skin color is part of her charm. It was part of who she was. It might not be as overt as her personality but it's still part of her character design because she's not a real person. I don't even care that much. All of my posts regarding this was merely suggesting it was a weird action to take given that people would have already gotten attached to her design, and changing it would likely result in backlash (which apparently it did if the Japanese publisher went and changed her color back in defiance of the actual story)

@shinsenryuu she was always just darker skinned, she was never a different race, she was never black if that is what you are implying, saying this means you are misunderstanding this as a message when it is a serialized manga from Japan, Asia is literally the most discriminatory place. Assuming there is a message, why do you confuse her as a different race? She was never like that.

I think chocolate color makes more sense, since, the blessing (light king/white color) has less power than the proteccion (dark king/dark color)

glad the author went back n fixed their mistake but it really should not have happened in the first place lmao. also i think the ppl defending the authors original decision to make her pale should look up what colorism is bc yikes

Aaaaaaaaaaaand dropped. The rest of the plot just went apeshit on itself.

Dex-chan lover
@sirflimflam Fair enough.

I don't think it's nearly that major either way, though. It's just skin color. The major point of her prejudice (the Dark Spirit King) is still attached to her, so all that's lost is fetish material, but she gains the ability to use healing magic. Her skin color could have been blue for all I cared, the point was her relationship with Dark Magic. Another example of this is the Lv 99 Villainess manga, where everyone's fear of her is her power and dark magic and it hits similar story beats to this, it's just this one had her physical appearance change with the dark magic she gained from the contract.

EDIT: To better emphasize what I'm talking about, I think of the story based on these two tropes:
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BadPowersGoodPeople
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DarkIsNotEvil

Lol and some of us blamed HaruPARTY (scanlator) for the white Claudia before

@Solistia
Yeah, I now see on raw aggregators that chapter 13 also had white skin. AP changed them both at some point.
And that page where she receiving her blessing also doesn't make much sense without any visual changes.

Dex-chan lover
@sirflimflam I mean, on one hand, I agree it's weird to change her design like that when she become a lot less distinguishable.

On the other hand, it's obvious it happened because the author / artist wanted less work and leaving the skin white is just easier.

Users who are viewing this thread