I'm Not a Villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness, Doesn't Mean I'm a Villain - Vol. 2 Ch. 12.1 - Publisher 2nd Edition

Fed-Kun's army
while i was mad that her skin color was changed to begin with, isn't this like a major plot point??? how are they going to continue on, i wonder... i'm interested to see if they can make it work or if they will just have to keep changing things

BUT YAY CLAUDIA DON'T CRY YOU'RE PERFECT THE WAY YOU ARE!!

thanks for the update

This is idiotic, the skin colour was part of the plot and the discrimination. Now she lost the symbol of her Spirit King and it's being used to show how disgusting and two-faced are those people... Obviously It's an hot topic (more so if you are from the US), but its interesting for the plot

yeah author should not have caved when it came to a MAJOR plot point that is meant to be the whole crux of the issue.

Contributor
this version makes more sense. people in the last chapter acted like nothing changed.

Group Leader
That's fucking stupid. He caved in just because some "fans" screamed. Thanks to that sttory is fucked up and makes no sense anymore. I'm done and out.

Honestly, they shouldn't have used skin color in the first place. Although it's... insightful, perhaps, to acknowledge the unwarranted discrimination she experienced with darker skin in contrast to the sudden kindness she receives when her skin turns light, it's not at all tactful. If they didn't want to offend anyone from the beginning they could've used hair color, eye color, number of limbs, whatever. It wasn't a good idea to start with, and now that they've put so much importance on her skin color, what it means, and how it makes people treat her, suddenly redrawing the manga panels in response to reader backlash will affect plot logic severely. Now it just doesn't make sense.

In conclusion, what the hell is going on

Dex-chan lover
@CardiBSlays
I don't want to bite, however I can't help but be curious.
Why is it wrong? You can't just assert it and leave it at that. It's no better than affirming "X people are superior" and try to enforce it by law. (Replace X with a color, sexual orientation, religion or whatever else.)
So, is it because you say so? (On what authority, then?)
Or is there a proper reason that others should care about?

Note that, if your only reason is "I'm a person of color and I felt offended", I'm sorry but that's insufficient.
I'm a person of color and didn't feel offended. I saw that as a bad aesthetic choice. If there is a message underneath, I find it advocates against prejudice. Apparently, you didn't. We can disagree, and that doesn't make them this chapter objectively wrong.
You will always find certain things offensive because real-life society has to accommodate tons of people with different sensitivities. If you can't ignore or bear with disagreements, you're going to live a very stressful life.

But please, if you do have a good reason, please provide it.
I will read the response, if you provide it, because I'm really curious. I like to know when I'm wrong, but I must also know why I'm wrong.

Also, I'll stop replying. I feel I shouldn't prolong this discussion past this point.

I'm so glad they decided to make that change!

The change in attitude didn't seem super out of place (blessing vs appearance change). Maybe it's just my modern person brain...
But also, the Light Spirit King that people out on a pedestal appeared in person, shut down one of her prominent defamers, and gave her a blessing. And in a noble society you know those rumors were instantaneous.

I've never read the novel, but tbh the skin tone change seemed racist and superfluous since the translator first mentioned it.
Idk of the author has additional plot point related to it, or tries to drive home how ridiculous/extreme the visual prejudice is.... doesn't really make it better. It's very easy to do something with hair or eye color or something

Don't really get how changing her skin color is related to the plot.. idk I would have assumed theyd make her hair white or something

Anyway I'm surprised that enough Japanese people complained for him to change it. I like her old design more

I dont get why people r so upset i mean its been said in the begining it was light vs black king with light is sign of goodness and black is evil, and thats whys he got dark skin...coz the blessing. If she got light kind blessing and her skin got changed well thats that ig.

I mean if u wanna feel offended why did u not protest since the beginning ? Why u keep reading ?

And yes im a minority people of color, but still i dont get why u have to be so mad bout all the lil things

@-Gg- for me, it's just feels wierd seeing her skin color changed. My impression from "she's cute" to "meh, kinda normal."

Fed-Kun's army
Lol this thread blew up.

Just wanted to point out how much nonsense her changing skin colours based on her blessings is pretty stupid in the first place for a setting. Does that mean that all people in the world are white, and only darker skinned because they follow certain spirits? Or does everyone try as hard as they can to not tan? Are all black people automatically thought to basically be on the same level as demons just because of their skin colour? The light spirit is called a king but obviously looks female, so does that mean that royalty also follows this line of thought since everyone wants to copy them so much and there are no queens, just everyone is named kings?

THIS IS THE MOST HILARIOUS THING EVER HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
IT CANT GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS

Huh... if Claudia were chocolate with blond hair... she'd have turned into a gyaru. Definitely the wrong vibe.

Thanks for the explanation though. I guess understandable that Japanese readers had some backlash. They have the opposite perception that westerners do. Just another thing that doesn't translate well between cultures.

Users who are viewing this thread