I'm Not a Villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness, Doesn't Mean I'm a Villain - Vol. 2 Ch. 12.1 - Publisher 2nd Edition

Dex-chan lover
@ReiSapphire I mean, the skin tone they were using since chapter one was already pretty light anyway. I guess with how they chose to handle this, they'd have to also go back to those ones and darken them a bit so this can even look lighter? There's not a lot of wiggle room between where her skin is now and removing the tone at all when it isn't in color to begin with, try to lighten it a bit from where they started and it's just gonna look like a low quality scan or something.

This whole thing has been so stupid either way though. I mentioned to someone else in the other version of the chapter, weren't people screeching on here about how magic making her skin darker was like black face or something prior to this incident? Or am I thinking of that cosplay manga, where some people were getting stupid about the female lead cosplaying with like a fake tan? God that was stupid too if both actually happened. Fuck this planet, bring on an asteroid.

How much do the people want to hurt her... I love how realistic Claudia here too... Like I'm happy that the fake bitch is gone, she is blessed by the light spirit and acknowledge by others but not because they know her but because she was just bkessed by 2 spirits... I hope her friends help her through this...

UNREE333

Ig now it's time to reeee at the parents/kingdom for their fakeness :} especially that madre smh

Maybe she's more realistic because Claudia comes from a more modern era (contrary to other noble girls who would be happy to just be better accepted in society since that's like their life)? Not our MC thankfully! Don't take that crap!

I didn't like the change to skin colour before, but still her change in skin tone apparently is a major plot point in the future story and i'm wondering how that's going to be affected in the manga if that change doesn't happen. Wouldn't this ruin the story and make it diverge from it's original course or are they gonna retcon things and make the plot point because she has the light blessing instead of just appearance.

Maybe a white streak in her hair or some kind of accessory would've been better. She grew up trying to accept who she really is. Plus she wants to find people who love her as is. Making her skin white cheapens that victory(story wise). :/

Considering the ideas of the translation team—I second the vote around changing her hair color—maybe, since it's only a minor blessing, give her hair some blonde streaks?

I like the idea of the color not fundamentally changing, and while her skin color falls into the whole ethnic preferences towards "lighter" skin tones and ethnicism in general, the idea of her getting rando highlights works both from a manga standpoint #CrazyAnimeMangaHairColors and also from the vantage point that one gets a physical indicator of her shift. She gets to be the same dark chocolate princess of punchiness while also giving her an ironic twist that makes her look a bit more gangster, thereby ironically making those Japanese kids who frost their hair/bleach it, look less odd and give a sense of cool normalcy to highlights! :3

Dex-chan lover
Reverse Ree!
!!!eeeeeeR

I mean, this'll confuse the story a bit and the actual story still carries on with the narrative problem, but I'd much prefer this because she simply looks cuter this way.
Going blond would've been much better too. She would look even weirder, but also her charming point would stay.

I'm proud of the Japanese readerbase giving this the backlash it deserves. Chocolate goddess forever!

Aggregator gang
This feels like censorship imo, it's taking away what the story is trying to tell. It was meant to be offensive, showing how discriminatory the people in the story are for suddenly changing their impression of Claudia. What a way to ruin the novel, guess this title can also be added to the list of poor manga adaptations. 😩

Aww. Its not that bad since they use the change in appearance to drive the plot further as it make it obvious how discriminating people can be. The author could have make the dark spirit change her appearance back after the fl feel that she rather like her old appearance and have seen that her true friend still love her no matter what she look like.

Most peeps wanna see her with blonde hair/streaks while I'm down for lighter eyes/heterochromia.

When I was 'spoiled' i thought the light spirit was gonna be her second protector which warrants the skin bleach, but since she just got a minor blessing it can just manifest in small physical change.

I think the easiest substitute can be heterochromia, one eye being gold/silver.

Dex-chan lover
@MasterPannya

Haha

Yeah like I said that doesn't work like that but it is fun to imagine a world where magic wand doesn't suck

I don't mind her skin color turning white to drive the point how dumb people are for prejudicing someone by skin color, but I guess they were too focused in keeping manga politically correct.

Kinda sad that you can't even raise a controversy through manga anymore.

Aggregator gang
@herShie_4ever Yea, I thought that would be a good idea to advance the plot too. Claudia finding out how hypocritical these people are, asked to be returned to her original appearance. She then distances from these people while treasuring those who actually accepted her for who she was before the change. This change by the publisher seriously lowered the quality of this manga for me.

feel author should have gone with a more blended colour instead the original colour or white, more a lite brown instead the dark brown/white colours used. It would make more sense since black+white = grey (light brown);0

The change feels like how Micheal Jackson turned white after that burned accident and the backlash it received from his fans for being too white.

Imagine thinking the Japanese fans of this manga are trying to be "politically correct" as opposed to calling out real colorism that happens in Asia... Biases can be reflected in fictional works, but I guess some people lack the nuance to understand that. Probably the same people who think they know all about Japanese culture because they've read a few manga.

Users who are viewing this thread