I'm Not a Villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness, Doesn't Mean I'm a Villain - Vol. 2 Ch. 12.1 - Publisher 2nd Edition

i just saw the skin change as her turning back to normal with light powers mixed in. the skin represents the light and her hair is the dark. having them both made sense to my pee wee brain

having dark skin and having her hair blonde/plat also works

Supporter
@9453 Look at her parents. Her skin and hair were only dark due to the blessing from the dark magic. The blessing from the light spirit changing one of those attributes back to her genetic normal would make complete sense.

Also, in the context of the manga, neither color is good or evil. That's just the characters' misunderstanding based on a centuries old fairy tale. The story makes a lot more sense with the change, since that would obviously make the ignorant characters treat her different.

Dex-chan lover
so iin novel her skin color changed(according to page 1) but in this manga they changed it back to dark... so did the author have a say to this?... did the author have a positive feedback on the color change to dark?..

me personally im fine with white skin or dark skin but at the very least mc should have a change in appearance like maybe a hair color, maybe a full white hair or a partial white hair...

I don’t know why people think a person of one race loosing her tan Is racist. If anything it’s colourism because she just became lighter skin.

So everyone has white skin and receiving the dark blessing, will turn your skin black.
So aren't the sjw who's reading this manga a racist, when they forbidding her having her natural skin color!

Dex-chan lover
@sirflimflam that's the basic premise of "Common Sense of a Warrior," the Duke's Daughter spin-off. She spent all her time training to be a warrior, but she's the dainty flower of society in the main story.

Double-page supporter
I do prefer this version even if I think that even this isn't the best.
My reasoning is just using in story arguments and facts, without pulling real world 's discrimination issues, using the informations that are present in the Manga until now (Didn't read the novel).

First of all it was clear in the previous chapters that the discrimination Claudia faced was linked to the dark spirit king protection and not to her appearance per se, but her aspect just announced to the world that she is the one protected by the the Darkness SK
Also it was stated that it wasn't only her skin to cause discrimination but her EYES and HAIRS too. Just whitening her skin but without changing the other aspects wouldn't be enough to reverse discrimination story wise. Not without what happened become of public knowledge, after that even if her aspect was the same, she would have been met with a shifted disposition (so without invalidating the next story arc).
Another point is: Gerald embraced her with his protection, a sort of Higher Order blessing, that give her that appearance. Grace instead just gave her a normal/small blessing, and it seems strange that this would have caused a shift of her skin colour so much. If the author would have a significant marker to show about this then maybe it could have being a small birthmark (on the face or on one hand) on the skin and a small group of hair becoming blonde/white, while still showing the predominance of the DSK blessing.
The last point make me refuse the idea that not make her become "white skinned" is an insuperable plot hole, it could have been easily fixed using one of suggestion before, also already made in some of these comments, even if it require diverging from the novel, that by itself isn't an absolutly negative thing.

I like that the mangaka didn't follow the wn and kept her skin color, but at the same time seeing many wn readers angry at this shows that her having light skin is heavily tied to the story going forward. I'm really conflicted since if they have to half-ass the story to fit the change, I'd rather have her be light skinned.

Really can't please anyone with this, author fucked up bad.

@Next_Order again, no. The change was not necessary the entire premise of the manga is that Claudia is mistreated and accused of being a villainess because she has a darker skin tone. The girl who had the light king's blessing was already her foil to show the treatment she could have had were she different. The translators made it evident you don’t need the skin color change since all they had to do was change the wording a little. The translators were able to preserve the storyline with such slight changes, thats about as unnecessary as it gets.

I’m clearly talking about the world we live in if you’re going to try to use some guilt tripping MLK lines. In the context of the world actual people live in, whitewashing is obviously inappropriate yet all too common. Not sure if you are trolling or extremely dense. It doesn’t matter if the main character is Asian or not there are still Asian people with darker complexions that are pressures by society to lighten our skin tones.

I understand what the author was trying to do here but that doesn’t make it a good idea. It seems they may have possibly been going for a parallel to colorism to show how our society treats people of darker skin tones but the funny thing is people don’t get to wave a magic wand and change their skin tones. Instead we embrace who we are, even if society tells you you’re ugly everyday. Could you imagine how a day, a black woman who is already inundated with racist remarks about her appearance and being told that her darker skin tone makes her “ugly” would feel when she sees something like this? Claudia was already kind and empowering the way she was there was no need to make her white. If they wanted a persecution motif where they were going to change her to “fit in” anyways, they should’ve gone with just black hair instead as I’ve seen other manga do. They shouldn’t turn a darker skin tones character white, that is objectively problematic.

Dex-chan lover
But the previous decision was better since then she would have the characteristics of being blessed by both but now she goes back to having the characteristics of the blessing of the Dark Spirit King only...

@SeraphRose
Sorry but you are wrong. Her skin tone, as well as the color of her hair, is not her genetics but the result of having the blessing of the Dark Spirit King and, as such, it makes sense that her physical appearance would change if she were to be blessed by the Light Spirit King too.
Being internally consistent is the hallmark of any good story.

Also "whitewashing" is a stupid premise that came into existence because idiots needed something to reee about. In a place where the majority of the people is of one racial variety the media will reflect that, always. If you look at the media from india you will realize that most if not all actors are from indian descend, if you look at african media you will find that most if not all actors are black and if you look into asiatic (China, Japan, Korea) media you will find that most if not all actors are of asiatic descend. It comes out that having a lot of something will end up with that thing being represented more than the other things.

lpe

I'm not racist, i wasn't happy with the colour change because i think she's prettier with her dark skin.

So i'm happy that she'll remain the way she was :)

Dex-chan lover
definitely better than mj bullshit
also, tanned skin is her distinctive feature why do you even bother remove it

Dex-chan lover
parents are assh*les but probably better than eumalia parents (Villainess Level 99) since is this one it seems their parents haven't even met her since she was born!!

I've read a few comments about the issue of skin color change, and I can't say that it makes me happy about it. I agree that changing the color of her skin made a huge plot hole, like, denying all the character development Claudia and her friends had in regards to it, it was a really bad idea to change something so consistent, and really sensitive matter at this point. I also agree that giving Claudia a different hair color, even if it was the tip of her bangs or a single part of her hair, but oh well.

But I would like to think that so many people being in a discussion about it gives me a bit of hope that people's mindsets about racism can change. Just like people will judge others based on their choices, gender, religion, etc, I still want to believe that in the manga, and in real life too, people will also accept others for their different choices. At the end of the day, everyone has their opinions, and make mistakes too. As long as there is respect, people will be able to be happy without questioning why they are being ostracized by the color of their skin or other stuff that brings discussions like this to the eyes of society every day.

Fed-Kun's army
I think I feel ur pain, HaruPARTY

WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Users who are viewing this thread