I'm Not a Villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness, Doesn't Mean I'm a Villain - Vol. 2 Ch. 12.1 - Publisher 2nd Edition

Dex-chan lover
personally, I was ok with her white skin, but I'm also like her 'nagatoro-like' tan.
I guess I want to say; if you care, cool, don't fucking read it if it pisses you off so much, if you don't, cool.

call me racist but in the end, her skin color shouldn't matter.

>imagine caring about a fantasy manga character's skin colour in a setting where it really doesn't matter

Anyways I hope that she won't go haywire. I think Gerald won't bother to stop her if she wants to cause harm.
Ppl ostracize her then gaslights her, shameless bunch

Fed-Kun's army
I...Huh. Don't know how to feel about this. I miss Chocolate Milk Girl because I-personally-think she's cuter than typical Japanese Style Girl. If they had to change something, change the hair.

But I would've let it go (or keep my nagging to a playful tease) for the sake of the story being coherent.

Dex-chan lover
I don't get all your hate. It doesn't matter if chocolate or white milk. Both taste good. Can't we just be happy with either of them? Nope, the hate must flow through you...! kekekekeke (Imperator)

@MsXhosa
RL veteran 😄

@KairenX

Have we been reading the same manga? It literally does matter, its plot relevant that she is black, and she is discriminated against BECAUSE of her features. Thats why shes ticked off that everybody is treating her kindly now that she got whitewashed by the light spirit. the whole 'its fantasy so race doesnt matter' doesn't work here

Fed-Kun's army
Author should go all out and make her skin a checkerboard or zebra skin for more natural feeling to please all of the reader

@redseelie

Whew.. The way I see it, what you're saying is like people are discriminating against afro/dreadlock which is a (stereotypical) feature of blacks instead of against blacks themselves. From what I've read, every sentiment of her stems from (her association with) Dark Spirit King. Her dark skin just happens to be the effect of someone of her race/kind/ethnicity being blessed by the spirit king. Either way its a no biggie for me.

This is off topic. Is it weird that I like chocolate milk, but hate chocolate and milk?

Am i the only one who wished for dark skin and light color hair!?
because they say it will affect the story if she doesn't have some light feature.

Dex-chan lover
Im not surpriced if some people here blames the west for the change when even the japanese themselves didnt like it.

@redseelie She wasnt being Racially Harassed. Her features have nothing to do with it, If you were paying attention Its because she has the King of Darkness Blessing. Which is Feared for what the previous person did. She never said anything about not liking her skin color. But that she has the Light kings blessing

Having her hair turn Hanekawa-like black and white could have worked instead.

I feel very mixed about this change. Coming from a Western culture, I can understand the arguments that perpetuating stereotypes that “dark is bad” is ultimately hurtful no matter what instance. This isn’t a racism issue in the manga but a colorism one that many Asian cultures have. But in regards to the story, the fact that her skin tone was changed leading to a change in how others perceive her makes for a much tighter story. And Claudia not letting people off the hook for makes for a much clearer picture, not to mention much more satisfying. Now, it just seems insincere whereas before it felt like a real change in perception that was mirrored by the change in skin tone. Why would her Mother change in her behavior when even her daughter saving her baby wouldn’t? She’s so superficial that I have a hard time believing her whereas before, because she is so incredibly superficial, I could see it happening easily. And because I don’t believe in her parents’ change, it also lessens the impact of Claudia refusing to forgive. It might have been a controversial, problematic plot device before but it was also an effective one.

Dex-chan lover
Even looking at both version the change in attitude seems to have been more them suddenly sucking up to her now that there's benefit than due to appearance, unless it's different in the LN.
From the comments I expected it to be more tone deaf, now that I have the full context I highly doubt the author was trying to make any statement or anything, it has a bad look here in the west due to mostly things in America regarding race and stuff, and Europe being more preoccupied with what's happening over in the US than on its own side of the pond.

In short it was built up as this massive flaming trainwreck but instead the train just slightly missed the timing on the brakes and went on to lightly tap the bumper at the end of the track.

why did i read thru these comments... 😭 some of yall are so stupid and try too hard to be edgy... calling people who are rightfully upset and disappointed in the author lightening Claudia’s skin tone, “karens”... be honest, do you even know what a karen is? PLEASE shut up. when the author received complaints it was by OTHER JAPANESE PEOPLE.... like there are dark Japanese people too! colorism is a world wide issue! the author suddenly changing the skin tone of Claudia was extremely tone deaf, no wonder they received backlash.

Users who are viewing this thread