I'm Not a Villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness, Doesn't Mean I'm a Villain - Vol. 2 Ch. 12

okay, I still think the skin change is HUGELY problematic, since it's showing that a "blessing" made her skin whiter.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT (idk why this happened since I just skimmed) in the newer chapter she has her original darker skin tone.

Thats a bit ummm..... hmmmm..... racist? just make her eyes blue or something? I really liked her as a character.

Dex-chan lover
@alliebeemac
The credit page in chapter 12.1 (which is basically a v2 of chapter 12) explains that the publisher quickly changed her skin back to what it originally was, as if they had never changed it in the first place.
In other words, we're supposed to pretend that this chapter 12 never existed, and chapter 12.1 is the new chapter 12.

Apparently, her skin color did change in the original novel, so chapter 12 was originally supposed to be faithful to the novel.
Why they changed the skin color back is unknown, but we can assume the Japanese readers didn't like the change any more than the rest of us did.

And honestly, there's no real point (from a narrative perspective) to change her skin color. She's not being discriminated because of her dark skin, but because of the Dark Spirit King's protection. Her skin color is only one of 3 distinguishing features of someone who has the Dark Spirit King's protection. Changing just 1 is pointless. Besides, at this point she's famous. Even if they were to change all 3 features, it wouldn't make much of a difference now.

Dex-chan lover
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh was it really necessary to change her skin tone? That has a lot of symbolic meaning that I'm not sure the author understands ...

Then again, she is using it to show how people's attitudes change based on appearance -- and she's doing it quite well ..... We'll wait and see ig

I dont know what people are protesting against her skin color, its not like when you reading it you suddenly become racist, its just you want her skin keep chocolate to show you're not racist (?)

@Goyal99Raj if i recall correctly it was just a temporary change the light spirit did to hammer a point home. at this point though pretty much everyone thinks she cute so it's kinda moot yea. at least i hope it was a temporary change...i might just be projecting that hope and convinced myself otherwise, cause i think she's cuter with dark skin.

Aggregator gang
As I thought, some of the audience will hate this part too. I remember getting enraged while reading the novel. I almost dropped it geez

IMG-20200807-195155.jpg

same energy
15-30560bfea2c37a5c34b85c5ca5d2797500adc04fa75da0a8aaa94519a407f89c.jpg

Pfft. When I saw comment number i was surprised, almost 780. The most comment number i see on mangaDex XD

Rasicm doesn't exist for me, what I see is a pure hearted, misunderstood, loving, young human girl, I just wanna Cry for her because she suffers so much in this story, all she wants is to live happily In the world she resides in.

This chapter makes me cry for her not because of skin, but as the person she was created to be in this story

That's what I honestly feel, for her, she might be a creation, but I what I see is a another life.

I didn't realize her skin tone changed til I read these comments. Figures the only thing people pay attention to is skin color. I was actually trying to figure out how she changed in her looks and just figured they took away the gloomy air around her.

That's interesting tho, at first I was like what os this bs with changing her skin colour, but seeing how people treat her differently immediately from the light king's blessing, shown in the change of her skin, it's actually a good plot device, showing the arrogance of those who tormented her.

Dex-chan lover
Would you look at that,
the heroine is white now...
What should I feel here?

Dex-chan lover
The tan 😭
And it's not like she can't forgive her parents, but they can't expect her to forgive just like that. They never treated her like a daughter and now they want to be a cute nice family? Forgiving people that have hurt you a lot isn't impossible, but it takes a long long time and some suffering on the "abuser"'s side. And that mother is a piece of shit. She got scared of her own child since she was born... the fuck is wrong with you? Do you have no maternal insticts? oh well, let's see how this goes.

oh no you did not just skin bleach her - i loved finally having representation, now i’m just sad to see that a character who looked like me is being deemed not good as they were 😔

Users who are viewing this thread