In the Gardens of Gehenna - Ch. 5 - Our Garden

Contributor
Because the abuse coming from her father is central to the parallels to Mary's own abuse (by neglect) from her mother. The whole point is that these two were broken by the people who were supposed to protect them from harm. Making Collin's father some rando with no relation to her defangs the story completely.
Not necessarily, Colin obviously treats the man as her father and cares about him to some degree. So the kidnapping I guessed happened would've taken place a long time ago. Enough time for Colin to build a new identity.
The reason I thougt the man might not be the biological father is because the amount of time Colin has been isolated and kept away from others. You would think neighbours and/or social services would start to question why a supposed child just up and vanished to be never seen again. Not attending school like they were supposed to etc.
Now that I think about it, might also be Colin was hidden away from the start and her birth never reported. That would also explain the non-interference of others in her situation.

Dex-chan lover
Huh... it seems Mary actually is just a really really lonely kid and desperately want somebody to care and love her. I knew she was lonely from first chapter, but not to this degree.

On the other hand, I really feel bad for Colin. Mary seems to only see her as "friend" and that's only because she's convinced herself that no one but Colin care for her. Soon she will realize that it's not true, and that's probably where the author will begin to show the hellish part of the story.

For now though, this moment before the storm probably is really the happiest time period ever for Colin. Enough for her to endure all the pain and negative feeling, and feel truly happy. Colin truly look happy and innocent when she was going to meet Mary. I only hope that she won't ever think that Mary betrayed her, like her old snitch friend.

Dex-chan lover
Not necessarily, Colin obviously treats the man as her father and cares about him to some degree. So the kidnapping I guessed happened would've taken place a long time ago. Enough time for Colin to build a new identity.
The reason I thougt the man might not be the biological father is because the amount of time Colin has been isolated and kept away from others. You would think neighbours and/or social services would start to question why a supposed child just up and vanished to be never seen again. Not attending school like they were supposed to etc.
Now that I think about it, might also be Colin was hidden away from the start and her birth never reported. That would also explain the non-interference of others in her situation.
You are too invested on this little theory of yours for some reason even though nothing in the story backs it at all. You are asking for a twist for the sake of it. A twists that wrecks the story for no reason. I get it is harsh, the man is her father. Deal with it.

Dex-chan lover
I've seen my fair share of rapes in manga. I've read some downright horrendous things (gore, etc.)...but this is definitely up there with one of the most uncomfortable chapters I think I've ever been through.

If what was buried didn't already spell out what was going on, we now have a direct confirmation of what Colin goes through in her life. The dead in her eyes before. The complete disassociation during to vividly think about the window of freedom and happiness she experiences with Mary. Even an out of body shot where she's looking down upon what's being committed against her.

Then the compare and contrast to the negative effects this relationship is taking on Mary herself, putting up a positive front during those visits with Colin but then actively destroying the other relationships and stability in her life to the point where both girls have the polar opposite outlook on the arrival of tomorrow. Another brief window of happy escape for Colin. Absolute dread to suppress the thoughts and going to great lengths keep up the secrecy for Mary.

Damn this is grim.

Im almost puking reading this but my curiosity is keeping me reading it

Like, Holy shit

Dex-chan lover
It's %@#$@ like always! The worst read before sleep :notlikethis: Thank you for the chapter.

Dex-chan lover
Colin's grandparents are most likely dead. And not from natural causes. There's no ways the "father" just secretly kidnapped her and no one came back looking.

Dex-chan lover
My guess is the "father" is a kidnapper and Colin got stockholm syndrome.
Most child sexual assault is done by relatives. Making Colin's rapist into some stranger instead of her father defangs the critique of family structure in the manga and takes away from the parallelism with real world child sexual assault. If Colin's rapist isn't her father, that defangs the story by a lot.

Dex-chan lover
This is the character side POV that is hard to swallow

Dex-chan lover
I hate that the way the story is presented to us is done well enough to give that feeling of a reason to continue reading.. but I hate where this is going. So conflicted.

At the very least, I'll keep reading until it's just too much because I hope that there's even a fraction of happiness, or rather.. real happiness without any extra bullshit needing to be gone through, for these characters. I hope.

Banned

This is hella distasteful but imma say it anyways
"OMG he just like me fr 😭😭😭👉🦀🤰"

Users who are viewing this thread