In the Mood for Love - Ch. 16

When she said "they are just clothes, mom", it doesn't rlly help her argument. If they rlly are just clothes, then why is it so hard for her to change it? She knows the risk of wearing revealing clothes yet she's still surprised she gets harassed and called a slut. I think that if you can't handle it, then it's easier to just wear non-revealing clothes. You can still be stylish without showing too much skin. For someone who's a fashion major, she can just make clothes like that

Dex-chan lover
Ohferchrissakes, just tell her how you knew her before. Bloody obligatory drama.
@VMIN1995 When I was in school, a lot of the people were like you. Not actually bullying the people who were different, but sort of vaguely approving of it happening with a "Why don't they just be what the majority wants them to be?" kind of mindset. I hated your kind almost more than I hated the actual bullies.

@Purplelibraryguy
Oftentimes, people are bullied because they were born differently like why gays and ppl with a mental problems are always bullied. Obviously, it's wrong they get bullied since that's how they are born. If people tell you a problem, then obviously u need to find a solution. Since people say the problem is her clothes, then why can't she just change it? It's not like she's going to die if she doesn't wear skimpy clothes all the time. And if she rlly wants to wear that, then she shouldn't be sad that she's being bullied. If her desire to wear those clothes ouweighs the fact that she's being called a slut and being harassed, then she should continue wearing it but she shouldn't be surprised at the consequences anymore since she knows that's the reason why she's being called a slut and being harassed. SHE TOOK A RISK. What was she going to expect? South Korea is a religious country and she's from a religious family. What? Does she expect EVERYONE's attitude about what's the norm to change. If a guy clearly tells u that he thinks ur coming on to him bcs of ur clothes and continue to wear those clothes, then she should have at least stopped for awhile until he realized she wasn't interested

Her mom have a point tho. She must be glad to live in country like Korea. Most country in Asia wouldn't let you use something so revealing. Either you get rape or countless of mouth behind your back. You can wear clothes that you want in proper place. But don't forget you live with other people with eyes and mount.

wow so much for people's traditional views lol

let me guess, these people on the comments are the same one who victim blames and points the clothes when someone gets harassed, no? shame

Dex-chan lover
@VMIN1995 No, sorry, it doesn't matter if people are different inherently or if they choose to be different. If they're not hurting anyone, you should let them do their thing and not get on their case, and in fact you should not tolerate other people getting on their case.
If Korea being "a religious country" means lots of people are religious, fine. If it means Koreans think it's OK to harass people for not being religious, not fine. I don't harass people, Korean or otherwise, for being religious, so they can leave me the hell alone about my not being religious. I also don't harass people for not reading books. But when I was young I was sure as hell bullied for reading them. But that was "my choice". I guess I should have just accepted that I was living in an anti-intellectual culture and stopped reading, played more sports and gotten drunk at parties more. Since instead I insisted on not joining the majority culture, by your reading it was my own fault if I got beat up. Not buying it. Bullying and harassment are not OK because culture.
Incidentally I don't mind ostracism as such. I dreamed of just being left out--I wasn't interested in what most people did, and it was perfectly reasonable for them not to be interested in what I did. If we'd all just minded our own goddamn business that would have been fine.

Also, nobody in the world actually thinks anyone is coming onto them based on the clothes they're wearing, unless they're actually out on a date, because duh, everyone you meet experiences you wearing the same clothes, they aren't directed at some specific person. Claiming something like that is just a power play. Are you that naive or just pretending?

As a side note, it's not like I have any interest in, or respect for, the fashion industry in general. I think it's pretty rich all these classes and classes of people all going to school to learn about the most superficial, worthless stuff because their culture is obsessed with it so that's where the money is . . . and then getting all snippy because one person's style take on this nonsense is a bit more driven by personal vision and a bit more overtly sexualized than the received version. They're all still spending their lives learning how to make girls look sexy; they'd probably be moralizing a lot less stridently if they actually had any solid moral ground to stand on. Of course most of them are mainly pissed off that she's way hotter than they are.

As to the mom, speaking as a parent myself she's a crappy mom. Religious, whatever--she's dedicated to breaking her kid down instead of building her up, and dictating to her without ever listening to her. Lots of religious parents aren't creeps.

thanku for the updates!
even tho im not in a similar situation to mc i can relate to her stress and pressure-

@purplelibraryguy

She is hurting someone: her MOTHER. By wearing those clothes, she is viewed as a bad mother. If u tell me she should just ignore it, it's not that easy or else bullid ppl wouldn't commit suicide. They can't just ignore hurtful words. Do u know the purpose of dress codes? It is to keep a certain kind of environment. Like in school or in the workplace, they don't allow rlly short skirts. If she wants to dress like that, fine. But she should at least not wear those in school or church. There's a certain time and place to wear those kinds of clothes. Also, if someone wears sexy clothes, they r going to be viewed as sexy. That's srsly just what it is. Also, a word of advice, don't talk about ur life story on the internet. If u rlly want someone to talk to, get a therapist. Don't ask for sympathies from people in the internet. It's just sad.

Dex-chan lover
@VMIN1995 Hurting her mother?! Her mother is an adult and should be able to take care of herself. Again: If you're a parent and you're in it for yourself instead of for your kid, you're doing it wrong. And if you're a parent and you care more about what your peer parents think than about your kid's actual welfare, you're doing it wrong.
As to saying things about my life on the internet, the only bad thing that can happen about that is pipsqueaks on the internet make stupid replies. Yeah, couldn't care less. But clue for the clueless, I wasn't asking for sympathy, I was illustrating how bullshit backwards your idea about how everyone should be bludgeoned into conformity is.

@purplelibraryguy
Even if she's an adult, can't her feelings get hurt? Can't she be bullied? Can't the daughter at least not wear those clothes when she knows she's making her mother unhappy? Is that rlly too much to ask? The parent should not be the only one giving in the relationship. The child should also try to make their parents happy. It just feels like she's ungrateful bcs it's not even that big of a deal to change your clothes when u visit. The fmc knows what it's like for ppl to talk behind her back so can't she help prevent that from happening to her mother?

Also, I mean, come on, who tf wears a mini dress at a drinking party? U can't admit that's rlly stupid? Again, there's obv a time and place to wear what she wants but not at a f*cking drinking party & obv not at school.

Dex-chan lover
@VMIN1995 I just hope you give your head a couple of shakes and realize a thing or two before you have any kids. When you become a parent it has to stop being all about you. Your child is not a prop for your social life. Sure, relationship with your kid is not completely a one way street--but it is not an even thing, or even close, and it should not be, much less should it be a situation where your child's job is to make you happy. And different kids are different. Some kids are naturally go with the group kind of people and they're happy that way and that's fine. But if you have someone who is not that, who has their own ideas, if you decide your job is to break their spirit so they fit better and the other parents will approve of you, you will harm them and they will resent you for it.

Group Leader
not the people still victim blaming/slut shaming others in this year of 2020!! 🤮
Anyways, some of mc's problems and stress over them...I felt that

Dex-chan lover
Really sad to see people trying to justify the mom being a terrible parent.

If a team member is slacking off, toss them. Never EVER put up with it and cover it up yourself because they will only be benefited from that, and even worse, you will be dragged down with them. Tell your professor about the situation and kick them out of the group. Professors ain't the devil, they won't give you a hard time since you've been doing your job from the start and actually care about your school work.
Gosh I hate it when stuff like this happens🙄

It’s so dreadful and miserable living in a household like that you’re a strong and independent girl you can do this! My heart goes for her 💔

Users who are viewing this thread