Internet Explorer - Ch. 31 - Chrome & Bing

the author clearly doesn't understand, bing is used for p*rn and hent ya know. it will never become obscure.

Dex-chan lover
The author clearly doesn't like chrome. I don't nether, but the author's hatred seems to be the real thing.

Dex-chan lover
>complaining about RAM
>when 8GB RAM is a standard for over half a decade now
Firefox eats way more during longer sessions

Dex-chan lover
@Qelix Well of the major browsers, Chrome/Google is the only one that been taking some overt dickish actions. (there really does need to be some anti-trust actions taken against Alphabet/Google)
On the flip side IE has had the biggest slide (with the nod to NS completely dying off).

"640K of RAM ought to be enough for anyone" HAHA those were the days.

I'm using firefox as my default; will switch to chromium edge once its final release, its quite promising
even though its still on development stage.
I'm running 32gb ram and i don't feel anything even i use both chromium edge and firefox.

Dex-chan lover
@HDNeptune: Uh, Uh. Let me shamelessly promote my favorite browser. Waterfox. If your using Firefox anyways and want to switch to Edge anyways, you can give it a shot. (Always assuming you are unhappy with Firefox on a general basis/since they dropped XUL and therefore support for many old addons.)

But now I'm also intrigued. Here is your shot to convince me. Which features of Edge do look quite promising?

@Qelix Waterfox
giphy.gif

@Qelix I really don't know what you want from a browser, but I'll say what I want from a browser
Chromium edge is the best document reader. It can read epub very well, I use edge for reading light novel from epub to pdf file.
before edge cant play dmm game, right now chromium edge will do it.
In terms of browser speed, I really can't tell the diff of 0.1 sec.
Since it is still in development stage you can voice your opinion at their site. you can dl their dev build though it still lacks some features.
Once their final release going to switch completely.
https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/community

edit: you can check in youtube some features and changes.

Dex-chan lover
To be fair, any browser can use a lot of ram when you open up a heavy site (particularly full of multi-media ads) and/or multiple tabs. Chrome's ram use has gotten better lately. Sure Firefox and Edge are lighter, but not by as much as before.

Dex-chan lover
Waterfox is a lifesaver after Mozilla ditched PPAPI, dunno what i'd do without my trusty TabMixPlus (and a bunch of other legacy extensions).

@Qelix Edge is pretty useful when your drawing program doesn't work(and it starts a bit quicker than Chrome)... I still need to install Chromium Edge to feel the differences.
Anyway I've never heard of Waterfox before, how do you experience using it? Have you once opened ~30 tabs, including YT?

Dex-chan lover
@HDNeptune: Ah, okay. I don't use my browser as pdf or epub reader. In most cases I like to download my pdfs and open them in a separate application. I believe Waterfox should be able to open epub files to, as there are firefox addons out there, but I didn't try it, as most LN and WN are also available as pdf versions. But I have to confess, if it's speed, there might be a >0.1s delay, when opening it in Waterfox. :) It isn't bad though.

@Sutaiko: Waterfox is a variation of Firefox, that is kept very close to Firefox for security reasons, but cuts out a lot of crap. I don't use my browser as a viewer for other things then webpages in general. As I keep my browser sessions running for weeks (and I already managed to keep them open for 1+months, with hybernation in between) I'm also not too much on the lookout for performance in terms of speed. As long as the GUI is responsive (<250ms) it's alright. Anyways after I started to use a 1+gb/s-writingspeed-M.2key-SSD, things like start ups speeds of applications don't matter for me anymore anyways. 😁 And on terms of response time, I didn't feel any major difference to the last time I checked chrome. (And chrome was fast.) (As HDNeptune I also really can't tell the diff of 0.1 sec.)

But what I can say about me and my use-case is, I'm a tab HORDER! And the worst one you'll ever meet. ~30 tabs? Wow, so minimalistic. How cute 🖤. I'm abusing tabs as replacement for bookmarks. Whenever I see something I fancy, I like to open it in a new tab and forget about it. I just recently lost a session backup with.... oh man...I really shouldn't tell this...7 Windows and 10000+ tabs. Yapp. One one followed by four zeros and a plus sign. This is no typo and I'm not joking. And I currently have only 8GB of RAM installed. Baffled? I was, too. On every restart I had to do, because the RAM was full. I was baffled, that I managed to yet again squeeze in another 1000 tabs without a major performance drop for such a long time, until RAM ran out.. I was baffled that it still worked for so long. WEEKS! And what baffled me the most, was, that Waterfox actually managed to pump that up and lift those sessions,... just to run smoothly afterwards for weeks again, until RAM would become an issue again. Those session restores/bootups took 2-5 minutes and I had to restore that one 7000+tabs-window separately (shout out to "session manager for firefox", YOU ARE AN AWESOME ADDON!), but HOLY F#CK I'm surely impressed Waterfox managed to do that without giving in.
Okay, okay! The content of the restored tabs aren't reloaded until you click on them, but they don't need to be and thousands of tabs is still impressive. So, this is the major reason I'm quite the Waterfox fanboy and I can surly relate to @HYBRID_BEING not wanting to let go of TabMixPlus. So ... Memory and Tab Managment: A+++++

Users who are viewing this thread