Interview #1: Slow AF

Group Leader
:eek: Keep this project up that's cool stuff to do with groups! ?

evangelion kek i'm a weeb who doesn't like mecha what about it ?
PS: potion loli is fun to read. (even tho i'm not a lolicon)

MCM

Pretty interesting personality, I like ya sir ?
You've got a good state of mind that many others could learn from ! I've stepped away from the front of scans/TL a long time ago but keep being yourself, away from all the BS drama and cash grabbers unless it's obviously those kinds of doujins lel, nice to see there are still some sane people out here ?
And obviously someone who likes Dungeon Meshi can't be bad ?
Don't really see the point as to why argue about weeb or whatnot, Evangelion is a nice classic and great doujin material but oh well, to each his taste.

Group Leader
@art17 Nah man, even if I was offered donations, I'd never accept. I got a job, I can be a big boy and buy things.
SlowAF will always be 100% NO-profit.

Also yeah, we'll finish it eventually. Just don't expect it soon haha. Manga hasn't stopped either, which the other comment on the chapter page should tell you as well. It's still releasing a chapter a month (bi-monthly half chapters).

SlowAF will keep releasing in full chapters, rather than half.

Contributor
I really like the potion isekai girl, Kaoru is badass and use any means to achieve its own goals, also she kick the ass of some nobles scums. So i thanks you for your hard work. ?

Dex-chan lover
How can you start a scanlation group and not be into drama™?

Most people aren't going to be really into old shows. EVA (20 years), Gundam(40 years) these were/are good shows, but they're products of their time. It's hard to appreciate their ground breaking aspects so many years later as those aspects have been integrated into shows for so many years.

Well thanks for bringing some scanlations to all us leechers!

Group Leader
It's such a relief to know that there are JPN translators out there that suffers translating manga, even tho I started learning Japanese a year ago, but I still am a noob, and yeah it's always boring just translating.
Also nice to see that there are interviews to group leaders/groups :v

It's impossible not to be involved in dramas nowadays, tho @AMetroid

great interview! personally i love this idea, looking forward to more in the future. keep up the great work everyone!

Good interview, really like his direct way of talking.
I always think it's great when people do stuff because they think it's fun and/or helping them to learn something. Just don't get burnt out on it ?

mud

@DrWhoCares
So, how much spite are we talking here? A thimble of pure would probably be enough, but a barrel would be more fun.

Group Leader
@mud
Well, given the fact that we did chapter 18 ahead of time, then waited for them to release chapter 17.2 before immediately posting chapter 18, I'd say we've got a few barrels fermenting in the back.

mud

giphy.gif

Excellent

Group Leader
@DrWhoCares well, thanks for your contributions translating manga, I think that this will become exhentai and there will only be translations with bounties in a not really far future, Maybe I'll have to eventually learn weeb moonrunes to read manga, but I'm enjoying the present where there are still translators that are willing to give their free time to the weeb community.

And well, if this manga becomes generic, I don't really care, I like the MC and this and the Kuma one, I think they are really comfy and the art is my type.

Group Leader
This is quite good. Keep them coming. Was expecting some real silly answers though surprisingly things were kept civil lol

I don't like Isekai stuff so I haven't read it yet, but seeing where the direction of the conversation goes is very interesting to see.

@LaloSama
translators out there that suffers translating manga
I'm not a translator in any groups, but.. translating manga when the language itself is not your native, it's hard.
I'm in the middle of learning Japanese now, just reading and remembering has been tortured, and everything only for hobbies. But, when you understand the meaning, it's really fun af.

@AMetroid
Most people aren't going to be really into old shows. EVA (20 years), Gundam(40 years) these were/are good shows, but they're products of their time. It's hard to appreciate their ground breaking aspects so many years later as those aspects have been integrated into shows for so many years.
I'm into anime and manga world almost 14-15 years now. I have to admit it's still hard to watch products of the past, with stiff movement, odd sounds, effects and everything. But looking back (when I was 6) at how I can enjoy the same kind of Cardcaptor Sakura, Law of Ueki, Captain Tsubasa, and others, everything is detached from the critical side and more on how I enjoy it to the fullest.

Everything is inseparable from the drama, even now...because I (maybe including you) still can't move from the past and see how many good products were even though not as modern as now. It's the whole nostalgic things.

@DrWhoCares
Nah man, even if I was offered donations, I'd never accept. I got a job, I can be a big boy and buy things.
SlowAF will always be 100% NO-profit.
Raws are cheap as hell

It's nice to see your firmness. I like this thought, but maybe not all groups think this way. I still see groups putting up adfly or ouo.io. All I know is that it is the url shortener to make money. Don't know what the money is for, maybe also to buy the raws and for the website (try to be positive). But it certainly hurts too if I see that there is a little cunning to make a profit, even if it's not much. What I mean is, hypocrites.

Yeah, raws are (quite) cheap. I bought 2 comics around $16 on Amazon Japan (I can't say it clearly, but, the price of comics can be different from each other, like shoujo to shounen to seinen). It will be a little cheaper if I buy a digital one.

Let's say, if you take a project from the items you like and buy. Do you not feel loss if you share it for free into the community?

Group Leader
@goronyanpai
I'm your typical programmer salaryman. I made a good deal of money, but unlike most people, I live an incredibly simple life.

I don't drink alcohol, never have, never will.
I don't smoke, never have, never will.
I don't do any drugs, never have, never will.
I don't drink coffee, pop, or any other source of caffeine. I drink water, and milk.
I don't play video games much anymore, so I don't buy video games much anymore.
I have a roommate to split the bills with, so my already cheap bills are cheaper.
My loans are relatively low compared to most. I'm below the national average by I think about half.
I find eating to be a chore, and absolutely awful experience overall. Sure some food is good, but having to eat is a pain in the ass. Because of this, I rarely buy snacks. I don't cook, nor do I have time to usually (also I suck at it). I am perfectly content finding a meal I'm willing to put in my mouth without wanting to die, and eating it ad infinitum.

All in all, I have more money than I need. Couple this with how I try to keep myself on a tight budget because I can't rationalize buying expensive shit I don't need, and you have someone who has more than enough money to buy raws.

So that's where I'm coming from, but then I realized how cheap raws are in the first place and that only makes me scoff at anyone profiting in any form from scanlation. If this was my full-time job, or commission works (money paid to convince me to work on something I normally would not want to work on), I can understand a bit more. Although, given the fact that there's truth in saying that scanlation potentially takes money from the author, I feel like the only actual rational reason to make any profit off of someone else's work is someone bribing you to do something you already do (commissions).

There's my overly complicated, overly verbose explanation for my viewpoints on this subject. If that doesn't answer your question, ask it again because by now I've already forgotten what you asked.

Great interview segment! I like the idea of interviewing scanlators and hope to see more of these segments (especially waiting for _anq's interview)
@DrWhoCares man you sound like some hermit or sage with your lifestyle, but then it's your life, you live as you like. Though just look after what you eat because it may not be balanced diet and in my past, when I had same attitude to food as yours, I became gravely sick due to nutritional imbalance and lost quite a lot of weight, appetite and stamina (I was unable to go through full 12 hours of day, getting tired easily) which took toll on my confidence, and mentality and made my life miserable that time. As they say sound mind resides in sound body, take a little bit more care for food.

Users who are viewing this thread