Isekai de Café wo Kaiten Shimashita

Fed-Kun's army
@crazybars:

-This manga is setting up some European situation that never existed in real life-

There you go... It's an isekai. You should treat it as a 'what-if' multi-verse. Maybe it's a world where they have no concept of ham/jerky/spices etc.

@deerafl

I just wish she would invent something like Dormouse pie and Elephant Seal kebabs. We're probably gonna see her invent bacon or mundane stuff instead.

?

Guys, the text of the 4th chapter is ready, you're welcome to read and contribute to its quality in the comments or using a plugin (select the part you think is awkward, press ctrl+enter and input your comment) on my site.

@Twi And that is why I'm hesitating to read this. Every time I see an isekai where the protagonist introduces some kind of "japanese" (in quotations cause sometimes its curry or something else that isn't actually japanese) food (or culture) it immediately becomes a huge hit and everyone loves it and it is the best thing ever, and I'm just tired of it.

It is really easy to make bread with a hard crust but soft inside. Could be the yeast the locals used was poor quality; however, the MC making yeast from local fruits wouldn't explain why the locals had not been doing that since ancient times. Unless the dry hard bread thing was more of a preserved food they never got out of the habit of making?

Anyway, the world's history seems too shallow for the level of development we see (some early victorian era). There are some neat videos and recipes from people on the internet of old foods from those times so, the information is not hard to look into. Some isekai authors have done their research, Youjo Senki as a funny example likes to compare foods that would have been around in that period of time.

not enough not enough
i need morrrrrre

FEAR St. Elmo's Fire ?

@PerfectDeath maybe the poor cooking culture occured because of the spirits there maybe spirits eat simple foods so people never thought about anything past what can be made simply.

Dex-chan lover
I tried what japanese are calling bread when I was on a trip there, and it was either bland industrial vacum sealed loafs or something that had vaguely the shape of a baguette (and was called so) but was so flabby that you could literally make a knot with it without breaking the crust, had some sort of weird spongy texture inside and was as bland tasting as the previous one...

So yeah, if they see an real european bread (especially traditional styled ones or thoses with nearly non processed cereals and grains) of course they'll find it hard and having a strange taste.

But that's a isekai cooking manga so of course japanese food or international food adapted to japanese taste will be the best thing ever while the local food will be bland and upalatable, that the rules of the genre. ?

BTW, I also tried the japanese version of "naporitan pasta" and it was insanely sweet and very oily...

Nep

Dex-chan lover
@zenyo (This is not a lecture)

No comment on Naporitan pasta as I do not go Western in Japanese food although some races seem to have a significant preference for sweet things.

However, I have a comment on bread. Judging by your words, you have eaten both European bread and Japanese bread. That is great but please do not judge hard bread according to European bread standards. They are more 'slightly crispy on the outside, and then not so fluffy on the inside(depending on the bread. I judged from the seemingly hardest one i found on google, cottage loaf)'

I simply wanted to say, you have not eaten truly hard bread. I have once eaten Macau pork bun. It looks somewhat fluffy (as it should be when I ate the same type of bread before this incident) and the pork looks thick on Google. But the we got scammed and bought really terrible ones. The pork slice was so thin I couldn't taste it. And then there was the real problem, the bread. It was HARD. It was hard on both the outside and the inside. It was almost Nokia/rock level hard. I got a toothache (and jaw ache) eating that and I am pretty sure I could give a someone a concussion by slamming that into someone's head. I have tried chewing chicken bones when I was much younger. It was significantly easier than this bread. I am not exaggerating here. As one who have actually eaten hard bread rocks, all I can say is I want to hit the baker with said bread rock. Its. That. Bad.

Welp, rant aside, it is nice to see another casual cooking manga that isn't 'stressful shounen warfare' Hoping for more~

Dex-chan lover
@Nep (The first two paragraphs are a rant)
What I was pointing here is that there is quite a lot of bakery in japan (I saw at least 5 of them in differents cities during my trip) that try desperatly to copy french bakery style for all the decoration and look of the products but when you try it it just a flabby mess, which is a little saddenning (as they put so much effort in look only but they weren't trying to get at least the minimal feeling of crustyness, but more importantly quite revealing on the way japanese massively adapt foreign recipes while trying to make it pass as an authentic one, never embracing the fact that it isnearly a complete different thing than the original one)...

I mean when you want to try a foreign food for the first time, you want to try the original one not a complete revisited version. I have have no problem with having products adapted for local palates but at least give your customers the possibiliy to try once the original recipe if you want to advertise so much on the fact that you have authentic products (or go for soft italian bread types if your customer can handle any crustiness !) ... End of the rant.

Just to say that japanese really have a thing for reaaally soft bread (I'm mean marsmallow level rectangular bread loafs).
And yeah, I already eaten (or at least tryied to eat) some breads (mostly in small bakeries in central France and some nordic ones) so hard that you could probably use them to plant a nail (and also pry it out later with it), and they were a popular stapple product of these stores for locals...

@plasma1492 Pretty sure the authour's intent was that the goddess will have brought the MC to the world in order to fill a hole in the world she created, that hole is bland food culture. That is the feeling I get from reading up to this point. The goddess creating a world and developing the people to an advanced point but later realizing, "Whoopsies, forgot to install how to make the food taste good into their brain bits. Lets abduct someone to teach them for me Tee-hee~" would probably be TL;DR.

Double-page supporter
This is cute but it's not really that good. It moves kinda fast, and the characters don't even seem like real people so it's hard to gain an emotional attachment to them as well.

I hope truck-san takes the blonde coworker to the goblin slayer universe.

The more I think about it the less the premise makes sense.
Advanced enough to make alcohol that is drinkable enough to get drunk yet not advanced enough to use alcohol to cook with.
Advanced enough to make hard bread yet not advanced enough to make pasta.
Advanced enough to differentiate between fruit and vegetable yet not advanced enough to make a good salad.

They have salt, flour, eggs, meat, a variety of fruits and vegetables, milk, rice, alcohol, and who knows what else yet they can't make anything good with it and there is no reason given why.
The people are creative enough and dare to experiment with fabric, buildings, transportation, weapons, trading, money, real estate, etc but not food. One of the most basic human needs is portrayed as being so far behind that the mc can't handle it.
That's a huge plot hole that you should just ignore. I feel like the manga is banking too hard on not having to explain the reason of why their food apparently sucks.

Also stab the goddess right in the eye. Bringing someone from another world over saying it's necessary and then saying that they can do what they want. Then why was it necessary?
A vague idea of why it was necessary would make the plot a whole lot more stable. Hell I'd even take I saw you and found you interesting so I placed you on this world or I know what impact you will have on this world so do what you want.
Now she was put there with an excuse that has no meaning and they don't even mention it again. There are 7 chapters released now and the goddess hasn't risen above being a cheap ploy to start the story.

I'm disappointed in the mc too, a whole new world let's substitute every ingredient with the earth equivalent. Let's not look for new things to cook with that would be too hard, and the author can't use the recipe as a bonus page.

Frankly I'm more interested in the hard yeastless kneadless bread. I want that recipe, not another pudding recipe since that is in every isekai cooking story.
I say yeastless since she needs to make her own to use and kneadless since the maids who cook haven't done that before making the pasta looking at their expressions.

Dex-chan lover
@ okami

the story dose indeed have a ton of plothols.
unlike Isekai Ryouridou where there is a reasonable explanation to why the food sucks.
the only explanation i could imagine is half decent is something similar to the previously mentioned manga where found is simple fuel for the body, and the people just dont care if it taste bad or not.
as you mentioned it is pretty clear that they have the skill to make good food, they just don't have the culture for it. As to why that is.... i have only mediocre explenations at best for it.

the whole goddess thing can be explained fairly easy by just saying she expects the MC to act this way because of godly omnipotence or something even more silly like we just needed to send someone / anyone over the the other world for X reason ( like to stabilize the flow of magic or something ) and she herself is insignificant and dont mather. They just need a scapegoat to send over to fix it becouse as you mentioned it was never explained why she needs to be there.
But yeah unless you use that plot thread for anything, its just a cheap way to set the stage for the story. But again its pretty early in the story so they COULD do something with it , i dont know whats going to happen later on.

as for the MC´s action, they are fairly logical imo. she is new to a world she knows nothing about and dont want to be there. She also wants to be independent. So she dose this by doing what she knows best. It's perfectly reasonable for her to default to recipies she knows to make a living at first, and only start to experiment later. ofc this is assuming this isn't just a parallel word with mostly the same things in it. who knows there might be almost no new ingredients to use, they just have different names in a different time and/or culture.

but yeah, the plot is pretty silly, and it most likely won't be resolved anytime soon. but there are explanations for most of the things you mentioned, even if some of them are.... pretty far fetched at best.
the food culture being the biggest one by far and i too need to focus really hard not to get strung up on how stupid it is ?.

Users who are viewing this thread