Isekai Izakaya "Nobu" - Ch. 85 - Fairy Sending Night

Dex-chan lover
baby shinobu is a genius actually people are just mad they didnt think that up (or have the family connection to pull that off)

also youre right you should just read jjk like years after it's done it's the only way to read any shounen jump title that's trending right now

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for the translation and the TNs; they're informative as always.

I didn't realize until know that there's at least a 7 year age difference between Nobuyuki and Shinobu (Heh, both of them have "nobu" in their names). Maybe it's because of the art style, but I thought they were much closer in age.

This is probably the first time the Japanese staff in the story have explicitly experienced the supernatural in Shinobu seeing the fairies. I enjoy the idea that Shinobu is blessed with not just the Tongue of God, but with very sensitive senses in general. I look forward to her seeing more supernatural stuff.

Group Leader
You can always adopt official translation's names and titles (by UDON Entertainment).

Here's some of the examples that I found interesting:

Effa:
kPqBaaB.png

Whatsontapp:
o8znbrL.png

Chief:
7GuYmi1.png

They also do not translate some phrases like "Irasshaimase" but do translate "Chief". In the end, it's your project, so feel free to use your own judgements for what's best.

Aggregator gang
I mean if you wanna rant about touhou projekt feel free~
The best thing about touhou is definitively the collaborative nature.
The IP owner actively encourages others to contribute to the "fan canon" universe and often selects people from the doujinshi scene to become official collaborators.
There is no strict right or wrong interpretation of the setting and characters.
The thing you mentioned about yokai coming into existance based on peoples fears could be something that someone came up with long after the setting was already established.
Some even make works where the main characters (yes in gensokyo!) have to eat humans to survive.
The author ZUN generally doesn't get involved in his fans interpretations and lets them be creative.

You should be taking it easy after all.
Yukkuri_MarisaReimu.png

Last edited:
Aggregator gang
I mean if you wann rant about touhou projekt feel free~
The best thing about touhou is definitively the collaborative nature.
The IP owner actively encourages others to contribute to the "fan canon" universe and often selects people from the doujinshi scene to become official collaborators.
There is no strict right or wrong interpretation of the setting and characters.
The thing you mentioned about yokai coming into existance based on peoples fears could be something that someone came up with long after the setting was already established.
Some even make works were the main characters (yes in gensokyo!) have to eat humans to survive.
Jun'ya "Zun" Ōta generally doesn't get involved in his fans interpretations and lets them be creative.
The only God I believe in is ZUN and Rumia can tear my arms off and rip my throat out any day of the week.

Also, I'm not sure about all of the youkai in the series, but Shou Toramaru has been stated to be born from the fears of tigers in stories. I think it was mentioned in one of the official books (maybe Wild and Horned Hermit?). I think, in general, youkai in Touhou are often personified legends/stories/myths. Characters like Rumia are somewhere in the "created through fear" category, but others like Meiling are either born through myth and/or legend.

Either way, no official information so it's hard to say.

Dex-chan lover
You can always adopt official translation's names and titles (by UDON Entertainment).

Here's some of the examples that I found interesting:

Effa:
kPqBaaB.png

Whatsontapp:
o8znbrL.png

Chief:
7GuYmi1.png

They also do not translate some phrases like "Irasshaimase" but do translate "Chief". In the end, it's your project, so feel free to use your own judgements for what's best.
A lot of that just reads like localization for the sake of localization; doing so strips a lot of the flavor from the series.

Especially "whatsontap". Fucking loathe and despise "whatsontap", because it presumes the locals are too stupid to put together "whatsontap" with "what's on tap" given it's written in the local language (hence the translation).

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I didn't realize until know that there's at least a 7 year age difference between Nobuyuki and Shinobu (Heh, both of them have "nobu" in their names). Maybe it's because of the art style, but I thought they were much closer in age.
For me it's the other way, I thought their age difference will be a lot, at least 10. I was surprised it's only 7.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the translation!

Oooh, Ojou and Chef has an age-gap romance...

Dex-chan lover
For me it's the other way, I thought their age difference will be a lot, at least 10. I was surprised it's only 7.
Fair. When I watched the live action show, I thought it looked like 15-20, which I thought was weird because of how I thought about them in the manga.

Speaking of the live action show (as well as the color panel in this chapter), Efa's hair looks way more artificially red in seasons 2 & 3 than it did in 1.

The only God I believe in is ZUN and Rumia can tear my arms off and rip my throat out any day of the week.

Also, I'm not sure about all of the youkai in the series, but Shou Toramaru has been stated to be born from the fears of tigers in stories. I think it was mentioned in one of the official books (maybe Wild and Horned Hermit?). I think, in general, youkai in Touhou are often personified legends/stories/myths. Characters like Rumia are somewhere in the "created through fear" category, but others like Meiling are either born through myth and/or legend.

Either way, no official information so it's hard to say.
It really depends cause some of them are very inconsistent, and there are a lot of entities that fall under the umbrella of how youkai exists but aren't. Most gods are conceived of in similar ways to youkai but a number of them aren't actually youkai but some are. It's easier to think of most of the supernatural characters as "concepts given form" and trying to define youkai in Touhou is like trying to define what is a berry.
Fairies aren't considered youkai in Touhou but are aspects of nature given form. But those who are aspected to seasons, "Letty, Lily, Yuuka", aren't consistent in themselves as Lily is a fairy, Letty and Yuuka are youkai. This is excluding the Aki sisters who are autumn gods of the 8 Million Gods of Shintoism and not youkai. And depending on how a person wants to debate it, Yuuka could very well be a force of nature similar to fairies than a youkai. Who knows at this point.
Then there are the Lunarians (Eirin, Kaguya, Yori, Toyo) who aren't youkai. But the Moon Rabbits, who live on the moon, are youkai.
And it makes even less sense when you start looking through Touhou Lost Word's character tags, which is probably the most comprehentive categorization out there right now, but Lost Word is its own seperate canon and it's tags don't make sense in some places. Like how of all the Tsukumogami (minus Kosuzu, she's just a user of them) are all also one of the 8 Million Gods of Shintoism, but ONLY Kogasa is also categorized as a Youkai. Like, LWpls.

Users who are viewing this thread