Isekai Kenkokuki - Vol. 5 Ch. 36.1

@Binary10011 you should really start researching if the mangas you will read will end up having a harem or not. Too many people comment these nowadays....

Dex-chan lover
It's all obvious that civil war will happen and it's going to be a fight for Yuria and
caramel grass

Dex-chan lover
@Darkimpetus there is no way to research that though. I mean, sure, there is a tag, but often those tags show up retroactively and noone ever actually looks at them anyway.
..Because I don't care if it is harem or not. As long as it is well written.

I it was obvious this manga were going the harem route immediately after mc was stupid and tried to say he appreciated her without a language gift. They had already introduced main romantic interest (aka a princess), so when that flag was solidified then there was two flags raised already.

Dex-chan lover
Correct if I'm wrong but shouldn't Yuria be using less clothing since exposing one's body should increase the power of the magic system from this world?

Dex-chan lover
Been wondering where Yuria’s been. Glad to see she’s still moving with her engagement switch plan.

@mahtan She isn't doing so right now. It's also possible she's actually insulating herself from outside influences in preparation for the rite.

@Kaarme
@boag

Not going to bother with individual responses since it doesn't seem you guys are replying to me specifically despite tagging me, or are otherwise putting a lot of words into my mouth.

I said he was making excuses for others, he's going around saying that he shouldn't go around bad mouthing others... even though they were acting like obvious assholes. I also said that he was making excuses for his own inaction... there are a lot of things you can do that don't involve standing there doing nothing even when it's obviously making you and others angry. He has all sorts of benefits both directly and indirectly from the circumstances of his reincarnation, no idea why anyone would pretend he doesn't have all sorts of cheats when he obviously does (the raw WN is tagged literally tagged "cheat" by the author).

I never mentioned anything about marriage. I never mentioned anything about killing people. I never said he was an innocent kid (the exact opposite in fact...). I never said he wasn't doing other work. All I said summed up was that he was making a lot of excuses for not doing anything about a problem that has been festering for many many chapters and that it stinks of the author giving the MC an idiot ball so that the plot can advance the way the author wants. He's yet to sit down and think about actually resolving the problem, nor made any preparations in case it does become a problem. He's just doing other things while downplaying the issue. Heck, IIRC the only real discussion of the problem thus far has been by other characters.

For someone who has the benefit of age, experience, and a lot of power in varying forms, he's sure doing a whole lot of nothing while someone he claims to love suffers. If you find that sort of passivity likable in a main character, all the more power to you. But I don't.

Dex-chan lover
@PersonaJXT If others don't understand what you mean, it's more often due to your post lacking details than the others lacking understanding. So, the others have no choice but try to interpret and guess what you might have meant. Obviously it won't hit the mark every time.

Even in this second post you don't actually say what you think Almus should have done. Rigar and Yuria's marriage had been decided by the king, so Almus would be in no position to do anything about it against the king's intentions, unless he's damn sure whatever he's going to do would serve the whole country and the king. Because his primary, bigger goal is to save the kingdom. That being said, he's not exactly happy about the situation, so he'd be looking for opportunities, no doubt. It's just not as easy as you'd suggest it to be. He needs to be careful with all the nobles because somehow he must make them to accept centralisation of power, which means lessening the nobles' power. If the nobles distrust him, it's going to be more difficult. Saving Yuria aggressively would be cool but not if it results in a civil war. After all, Rigar needs her to increase his chances of becoming the next ruler. It's no small matter.

Dex-chan lover
@PersonaJXT
he's going around saying that he shouldn't go around bad mouthing others... even though they were acting like obvious assholes
why would he need to say anything, since its obvious they are acting like assholes?

there are a lot of things you can do that don't involve standing there doing nothing
such as?

He's yet to sit down and think about actually resolving the problem
How would you resolve it?

@Kaarme
I said what I said and meant nothing more. If you read way more into it than what I said, that says nothing about me needing to explain what I didn't say, mention, or even allude to at all. At a guess, I believe that you conflated what I wrote with what others with similar but differing opinions wrote and assumed I was saying the same as a result. I'll note that the line I think you're replying to was more directed at the guy that said I wanted the MC to kill everyone (which ironically will probably be how the story goes down anyways).

It's also not my job to write the story for the author. That's literally the author's job. If the author is unable to write a story without making the MC passively sit there doing nothing about the situation, then that's on the author. Any argument against criticism for fiction (or often in real life for that matter) that hinges on what boils down to, "then you do it better," isn't much of an argument at all. Sort of like if someone said 2 + 2 = 33445, which you know is obviously the wrong answer but somehow don't know the actual answer to. Just because you can't give the right answer doesn't mean you shouldn't point out that it's wrong. Not knowing the right answer doesn't preclude knowing that an answer is wrong, after all. Not to mention it's impossible for me to see the future of a story without reading it so I don't know what the MC will learn in the future and how those things will play into how the story resolves.

But if I were writing the story, I'd have the MC actively look for ways to help his friend. He doesn't have to succeed, but at the very least the story should show that he's trying something rather than just sit there waiting passively waiting for the plot to happen. And if he can't find a way, I would have him prepare for the possibility of an opportunity opening up while continuing to try to find a solution. Or maybe have the MC agonize overtly over not being able to do anything after many failed attempts rather than just downplay it as he has thus far after passively accepting the situation. (I mentioned most of this in my previous post, btw.)

What is the power base of the asshole guy's family? Can he do anything to undermine it or counter it in any way? Why is this guy's family a threat and can he resolve that threat in any way? What allies does the MC have and what can they do/what do they know? Has he talked to the king guy about it? Or the king's brother? Has he talked to his friends about it? Has he even talked to the girl about it? The MC has been tiptoeing around the issue for a long time waiting for the plot to happen instead of facing it head on and most of what we even know about the situation is from other characters because the MC has largely not been involved with that at all. The only thing the MC has been doing is building up his territory, which admittedly will likely be instrumental in resolving the situation, but is also only incidental and not something he's doing to actively try to resolve the situation. Heck, I wouldn't have an issue if THAT'S what the MC was doing, build up his own power base so he can do something about the asshole. It wouldn't even have to be much, even just a line to show that the MC isn't just sitting there basically ignoring the situation. It's not so much about what the solution is exactly as much as how the MC takes action and tries to solve it (or doesn't, in this case).

I'll also disagree with the implied notion that being a good king that looks out for his kingdom means he has to sit there doing nothing while those he cares about suffer. If anything, that's the mark of a bad king. A leader can't just sit there waiting, he has to plan and plot for the future. He needs to take action, be decisive, and not ignore problems. If a leader can't do that then they aren't much of a leader at all. More than that, that kind of passivity isn't very likable in a MC. Yes, the MC is in a bad situation and has responsibilities that limits the amount of things he can do. Yes, resolving the issue likely won't be easy (not that I ever implied as much). But even ignoring how he hasn't really looked into the situation very deeply yet so doesn't know what his options would even be, there are obviously things he can do. Because if there's actually nothing he can do then the plot thread won't go anywhere nice and the girl he loves probably gets married off and the kingdom suffers as the MC continues watching or something. (I feel obligated to note that my roommate being a nosy asshole and reading over my shoulder just asked if I was writing NTR or something, ORZ...)

@boag

For your first question, I'm specifically taking issue with the fact that he's downplaying how bad the situation is. He goes as far as to berate himself for thinking bad thoughts about the other guy in his own mind. I'm not saying he needs to go around yelling it at everyone, but the fact that he tries to pretend the situation might possibly not be as bad as it obviously looks really irks me.

As for your other two questions (which are really the same question), see my reply to the other guy.

Dex-chan lover
@PersonaJXT
you do know this garbage story is basically gonna serve the situation up on a platter for Almus right?
everything in this story has been served to him, from the Griffon getting there and helping him out, to conveniently having a group of servants at the ready, to the sudden realization that he has a super power and the harem just joining in.

I do not consider Almus has to do jack shit at this point, since he has done jack shit already.
Oh you all didnt know how to make vases, lucky for me the author imbued me with info from the fucking wiki, and it works on the first try cause reasons.

I no longer expect quality from this shit, and me asking you for "what would you do" and replying with "something" is as creatively bankcrupt as the author.

@boag

I don't think I'm quite at the same point as you yet, but I do agree the story isn't exactly the best. I can usually ignore a bit of roughness to a degree, but this sorta stuff just gets me more than anything else.

Also, I did reply with a lot of things he could be doing instead of nothing (and disagree that it's "creatively bankrupt" even if I didn't). It's aside from the point though since my problem is with the MC's inaction more than anything else, but you do have a point that expecting him to be proactive about things may be overly hopeful on my part.

Dex-chan lover
@boag When you began reading this story, you must have expected it to finish in three chapters because a modern Japanese dude thrown into a fictional classical period world would most likely die quite soon and quite miserably. Apparently you were looking forward to his chosen way of dying.

No shit the story must offer him a whole lot on a silver platter. There wouldn't otherwise be a story to begin with.

Contributor
The topic of concubinage and second wives are brought up.
This could be used later as a means to "save" Yuria from that scumbag fiance.

That leaves the main conflict in this arc to be the problem of how to remove the bad guy from the equation without causing civil war in the country.
Without killing him, one way is to somehow have the villain become disgraced and therefore make him fall from power.

Group Leader
Weirdly the story plays out like a clumsier cousin of the stories written by Charles Dickens. They often have a similar lingering plot arc where there is a villain who is just a completely unloveable character ensconced in their position of power that exists to make the protagonist and/or a secondary character’s life miserable and cannot be excised for numerous chapters even though the readers cannot wait to be rid of them. Although a bit reliant on deus ex machina and a few tropes , considering that they are limited to condensing the plot to manga panels worth of information this is still acceptable story writing. Frustrating but still acceptable. Would be nice to have this fleshed out a bit more on the full political side though but then that’d make it a completely different reader demographic

Users who are viewing this thread