Isekai ni Teni Shitara Yama no Naka datta. Handou de Tsuyo Sayori mo Kaitekisa o Erabi Mashita - Ch. 17

Dex-chan lover
glad the manga is back from hiatus
Well, the only problem is that, unlike comic-walker that tell you when the next chaptet gonna be released, comic-earthstar did not do such thing, so you will not know if its going to be hiatus again

Dex-chan lover
Yay, I really like this one so I'm glad it's back. Thank you for the translation!

Dex-chan lover
Maybe? IIRC Tachi is a bit longer than a katana, but worn like a saber (blade side down) due to it being a cavalry sword, while odachi is usually reserved for the VERY BIG tachis? If it’s just a bit longer than an average katana, i think it’s still ok to call it a katana.

Tho I’d appreciate it if someone can remind me if there are other diffs between a tachi & katana 😘
Okatana and odachi are not the same thing. An okatana is kind of a middle point, longer than the standard katana size but not long enough to be an odachi. The tachi and okatana, as I recall, are from different periods. The okatana was from a later period, and was similar to the tachi in that it was a longer sword made for war, but differed slightly in shape and hilt length, although the shape is probably vague enough that a tachi and an okatana could possibly be considered as having the same shape in many circumstances.

This difference is due to the usage of the "standard katana" as a moslty self defense or dueling weapon, or perhaps as a side arm during battle. It's simply too short, and reach is the largest force multiplier in any combat encounter. Put up against longer swords, or against spears, most of the time it's going to lose.

Regardless, these are all "katana," as "katana" simply means "sword." These are specific kinds of katana for specific purposes. Even if we were to accept the modern interpretation of a katama as a Japanese curved sword, these are still special forms of katana, and it's inaccurate to call them "improper" katanas, they're just longer.

Dex-chan lover
He literally said he thinks it's better because he's more familiar with it not because "KATANA IS THE BEST" bs
Thats literally just the shitty excuse the author fed you so that he could shoehorn in a katana lol.

Your average person might be more familiar with a nerf gun than a AR-15 but im sure as hell not gonna bring a nerf gun to a fire fight just because its more familiar. What stupid logic lol

Dex-chan lover
The okatana was from a later period, and was similar to the tachi in that it was a longer sword made for war, but differed slightly in shape and hilt length, although the shape is probably vague enough that a tachi and an okatana could possibly be considered as having the same shape in many circumstances.
I am not gonna argue your main point here as you are correct. Only that the Japanese had swords made with the specific purpose/intent of a battlefield weapon.
Japanese swords were never meant for war. All shapes and forms of them were in the end were developed for individual self-defence. Doesnt mean swords werent used in some battles, but thats all negligible. Here some fun stastistics:

"According to data from the Warring States period in Japan, the majority of damage on the battlefield was caused by arrows, accounting for 38.6% of all injuries. Following this was damage caused by firearms, at 22.2%. Close combat weapons like the long spear or yari accounted for 20.8%. Intriguingly, after the yari, the next weapon causing the most injuries wasn't the Japanese sword, but rather stones, accounting for 11.3% of total injuries. Damage caused by the Japanese sword, or uchigatana, was a mere 4.5%. It's worth noting that these statistics predominantly concern foot soldiers, whose armor was considerably superior to the average infantry."

In all cultures arocss the world throught history that made swords with the first intent of its application being used in warfare on a battlefield, said swords were always shaped for stabbing not slashing and intended to be used in tamdem with a shield (excluding some swords for cavalry). Japanese swords were neither made for stabbing or with a shield use in mind.

Fun fact, the most use the "katana" ever saw in a war was between 1941-1945.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I am not gonna argue your main point here as you are correct. Only that the Japanese had swords made with the specific purpose/intent of a battlefield weapon.
Japanese swords were never meant for war. All shapes and forms of them were in the end were developed for individual self-defence. Doesnt mean swords werent used in some battles, but thats all negligible. Here some fun stastistics:

"According to data from the Warring States period in Japan, the majority of damage on the battlefield was caused by arrows, accounting for 38.6% of all injuries. Following this was damage caused by firearms, at 22.2%. Close combat weapons like the long spear or yari accounted for 20.8%. Intriguingly, after the yari, the next weapon causing the most injuries wasn't the Japanese sword, but rather stones, accounting for 11.3% of total injuries. Damage caused by the Japanese sword, or uchigatana, was a mere 4.5%. It's worth noting that these statistics predominantly concern foot soldiers, whose armor was considerably superior to the average infantry."

In all cultures arocss the world throught history that made swords with the first intent of its application being used in warfare on a battlefield, said swords were always shaped for stabbing not slashing and intended to be used in tamdem with a shield (excluding some swords for cavalry). Japanese swords were neither made for stabbing or with a shield use in mind.

Fun fact, the most use the "katana" ever saw in a war was between 1941-1945.
It's not strictly true that Japanese swords were never made for war, even if they would only be used as a backup weapon, a tachi, okatana, odachi, and nodachi were all specifically made for warfare. They would be rare or only used on specific circumstances, the same as European swords would have been, but it is generally accepted that longer swords were too cumbersome to carry around for self defense and would have been difficult to swing indoors. Some swords, like the nodachi, were almost certainly cavalry weapons, similar to the zweihander, where the benefit would be the long reach and large offending range, with the weapon being roughly similar in size to a standard length spear. While they could be used unmounted, being mounted makes the weapon significantly easier to use. It still would not be used commonly over simple spears, though, if only for simple cost.

In summary, there were some that were made explicitly for warfare, they just were uncommon compared to spears, which have the advantage of reach and being cheap.

Dex-chan lover
Some swords, like the nodachi, were almost certainly cavalry weapons, similar to the zweihander, where the benefit would be the long reach and large offending range, with the weapon being roughly similar in size to a standard length spear.

The Zweihänder and later Bidenhänder were never, ever deployed, nor designed, as a cavalry weapon.
They were infantry weapons specifically meant to deal with pike blocks.

Double-page supporter
Thats literally just the shitty excuse the author fed you so that he could shoehorn in a katana lol.

Your average person might be more familiar with a nerf gun than a AR-15 but im sure as hell not gonna bring a nerf gun to a fire fight just because its more familiar. What stupid logic lol

Only if your average person is US-born, raised and educated, and lived all their life without leaving the country. The author is clearly not that. They're Japanese. So, sure, it's an indication that the author isn't well-versed in things that a US-based reader would be more familiar with, like guns.

The author, much like the ordinary Japanese isekai protagonist, has the mindset and knowledge of an ordinary Japanese person. They're going to be more familiar with katanas rather than automatic rifles.

As an aside, it might be an interesting to have an Isekai MC to be a "future school-shooter but got isekai'ed instead."

Dex-chan lover
Only if your average person is US-born, raised and educated, and lived all their life without leaving the country. The author is clearly not that. They're Japanese. So, sure, it's an indication that the author isn't well-versed in things that a US-based reader would be more familiar with, like guns.

The author, much like the ordinary Japanese isekai protagonist, has the mindset and knowledge of an ordinary Japanese person. They're going to be more familiar with katanas rather than automatic rifles.

As an aside, it might be an interesting to have an Isekai MC to be a "future school-shooter but got isekai'ed instead."

Dude...the gun comment was an analogy. I was making a point that the character purposely downgraded his weapon just to feel more "familiar" with it. Comeon now

Double-page supporter
Dude...the gun comment was an analogy. I was making a point that the character purposely downgraded his weapon just to feel more "familiar" with it. Comeon now

I get it. But the point I was making is that the author and by extension, the MC, is familiar with the katana (or at least the Japanese mass-media rendition of it). In-story, the MC's bodily movements suffered because he's using a fancier, though less familiar sword, and even though the new weapon is a "downgrade," the more effective movements could be worth it. However, I doubt that it's indeed a downgrade, it seems to me that the sword just changed form, but still retains its powers.

On a meta level, I am guessing that the author is having difficulty imagining how the movements with the sword would go, perhaps not being familiar with how the sword is supposed to be used in the first place. So, in a way, I do agree with you that this is a cop-out. But I am more willing to give the author a pass here. The other discussion happening in this thread about the specifics of katanas is perhaps an indication that the author has reached the limits of their knowledge even on Japanese swords.

The author can do more research, of course. The author can improve on their worldbuilding, making the magic system more consistent, for example, but I'd rather that the author spend their energy more on what makes this story tick.

Dex-chan lover
Ok so this lore we are now being introduced to makes no sense, if black spirits can inhabite humans too then how come we haven't seen any until now? Also if they can then the humans would be all dead by now. This really breaks the world building and also really seems to be reinforcing that MC's sister is going to become the demon king.

Users who are viewing this thread