Isekai Nonbiri Nouka - Vol. 5 Ch. 102 - Drunkards and Raison D'Etre (2)

Aggregator gang
@Tezcatlipoca Well if you kinda look at the demon kingdom their government is like the roman republic where the demon king is appointed and not hereditary the only difference is the demon king rules indefinitely until he decide to resign so I kinda looked at it like a combination of democratic and feudal rule I'm kinda intrigue with how that system works.

Dex-chan lover
If other village's women were singled out completely its no wonder they'd feel they could be banished/removed from the village tree on a hair's drop, because all other races that are stablished on the village have women serving him. Even if its not said on the open it should not be hard to notice it, as apparently he's got a 'hard time' every night.

I can also only imagine how happy it makes the villager women who can ride the hell out of the villager chief, knowing how good he is to everyone on top of being the head of his own village (made out of nothing) and all the contacs he has around the entire region, including demons and dragons. Dude is a powerhouse by himself and they can line up for snu snu with little trouble (besides ofc anything he doesnt approves, like youngesters).

Dex-chan lover
@Hell_Satan Since you like history so much, MC is not even a monarch. Historically, monarchs ruled by divine right, i.e. a Divine power gave them the right to rule. MC got his right to rule from the people. Elected monarchs, at least in the western world, are a recent thing historically speaking. So, if he isn't a dictator because of history, then he isn't a monarch either.

Dex-chan lover
I dropped this a long time ago, and decided to read the latest chapter, just for fun. And now I see a talking block of wood.

Dex-chan lover
@Hell_Satan he's a dictator cause he dictates (tells) people what to do and they do it.

The village exists only as a land that is owned by him. The villagers and the MC arent organized into a sort of state, with him having some divine right to rule, that's why he's not a monarch. The MC owns all of the land they're working on, they cant even till the soil normally without the MCs help. If you want an alternate title than dictator then landlord works but doesnt quite cover evrything he represents.

Him trying to introduce currency waa supposed to be the start of organizing into a polity but it's not something that'll happen right away and is being unintentionally sabotaged by the MC himself.

Aggregator gang
@cor3zone Well the very first monarch were also chosen by the people when they were sill minor tribes before building a civilization and becoming kings.

@SunSun Your discription is more aching to a landlord or a feudal lord.

Dex-chan lover
@Hell_Satan Well, the Pharoahs were gods on Earth. Christian kings were annointed by God. 'Dictator' (elected, given absolute authority) is very much closer to what MC actually is, than 'monarch'.

The origin of the word is completely unimportant. The modern usage of the word is a leader with near or actual absolute authority, not a Roman leader with emergency powers. 'Monarch' comes from ancient Greek, meaning 'sole ruler', meaning someone whose word is law. If MC was truly a monarch then, they wouldn't question him at all during this chapter. If you look only at the origin of words, the only difference between 'monarch' and 'dictator' is how they got power, not how much or how they use it.

Also, since 'monarch' came from ancient Greek, you're obviously wrong about the first monarchs being mere tribe chieftains. Greece already had city states.

Aggregator gang
@cor3zone yes Greece has city states but their more of a separate cities and not unified as a country its quite interesting really each state actually view themselves individually from each other which is kinda intriguing read they often goes to war with one another too like Athens and Thebes but before they started as a city state their just a collection if tribes similar to the Romans which started as just a collection of individual tribes before conquering their neighbors and becoming a big city state.

By the way the divine rights as being a appointed by God its established by the ruling elite cause they believe that to be so and that their the rightful rulers of their kingdom.

By the way here is a list of Greek tribes. https://www.shorthistory.org/ancient-civilizations/ancient-greece/ancient-greek-tribes/

Add: also if you like Greek and Hellenistic period of history and mythology try watching overlysarcastic on you tube really interesting channel

Dex-chan lover
@Hell_Satan I never said the Greek states were unified. I merely said monarch didn't come from mere tribes, it came from the ruler of a unified territory. Literally the top of the wikipedia article on city-states:
A city-state is a sovereign state, also described as a type of small independent country, that usually consists of a single city and its dependent territories. Historically, this included cities such as Rome[...]
"Small independent country", not 'lands ruled by a tribe'. If MC can't be a dictator because he's not a Roman leader with emergency powers, then he can't be a monarch because he's not the sole ruler of a city-state or nation. He's a village chief, but in that context his level of power is closer to dictator than mere monarch.

We can argue the meaning of words forever, but you see how ridiculous it gets. If the only way we are allowed to use words is in the first, original way (like dictator only being Roman emergency leaders), then pretty much every word in every language is completely useless in modern society. For example, 'car' came from 'carriage' as in horse-drawn carriage, or similar. Modern 'cars' are not 'carriages', so by your logic they can't be 'cars'.

MC is close to a dictator, no matter how you feel about it.

An appropriate title for him, since the discussion arised in these comments, would be Hegemon

Group Leader
I've always said a benevolent dictatorship is always the greatest form of government. The problem is you need enough resources for everyone, and the benevolent dictator needs to actually have everyone's best interests in mind at all times. Hikaru can handle that because he's only responsible for a few hundred people. If his farm kingdom grows all that much larger, he will eventually get to a point where he can't take care of everyone simply because he can't be everywhere at once.

Dex-chan lover
Why WOULD they choose anyone else? Guy's apparently hung like a horse, fucks like a dragon, has the stamina of the planet itself, and seems to be the god of (agricultural) fertility.

Look how many women he has to deal with all the time. No man can put up with that. Even just one can be too much for most, if she's got a strong libido. And almost as if by design, a man who has a woman already is slightly more instinctively attractive to women, which goes up based on how many women are attached to him - because clearly he can provide in every way for each one, meaning he might be able to do so for 'you'. Instinct-wise, women are attracted to providers, it's the only way our species would come to exist, and having multiple women with him already proves his level of ability in providing for them.
I don't think he has that much libido, or at least it's always satiated given that sex, while he enjoys it, is considered as another chore. To him, farming and sex are about equal. He rotates crops and women

Dex-chan lover
Heads of the villages are dictators now? The more you know...
I mean it's hard to call what they have a village given that it's a: holding the equivalent of the US Nuclear armory, b: now has jurisdiction over 2 more actual villages, and c: is considered on par with other nations. People don't greet him like a village elder, they greet him like a king.

Fed-Kun's army
@Hell_Satan Since you like history so much, MC is not even a monarch. Historically, monarchs ruled by divine right, i.e. a Divine power gave them the right to rule. MC got his right to rule from the people. Elected monarchs, at least in the western world, are a recent thing historically speaking. So, if he isn't a dictator because of history, then he isn't a monarch either.
Bruh, you bought the propaganda that the monarch peddled as the reason why they get to be monarch? If we go by that, MC was brought to this world by Gods and giving a divine tool. So, yea he is a monarch by your standard.

Now if we don't buy the post-hoc reasoning of the old monarch for a sec. MC is probably closest to a chiefdom, consider the size and level of organization in the main village. Although, with the addition of the new villages, they can be considered vassal and move him closer to a monarch. But that really only become official if he declare a sovereign state apart from the demon kingdom. As of now, Taiju village hierarchical organization is similar to organization of early human tribes, chiefdom. He started the village, so he is in charge.

Users who are viewing this thread