Isekai Shikkaku

My mini review:

One of the best stories I've read in a lonnggg time. Just hilarious opening scenes to kick off the story and you just sucked in from there, doesn't have that "have to endure the boring intro to get to the good part" that a lot of stories have (Breaking Bad for example). Crazy the work this author puts into worldbuilding, plot progression, characterization. And the range of this manga's tone is so varied, the scenes easily go from really funny situational comedy, to surprisingly touching backstories that feel natural and make sense for literally every. single. character. Again this author is a fucking sweat. Fleshes out every character -- even the minor ones have regular reappearances and also full character arcs like wtfff?? And the always changing tone of the story and scenes really hit -- shit's never boring, no awkward lulls in the plot. When it's going to comedy, the level's on par with an actual comedy manga. Same for the action scenes. And shout out to the artist for sure. Just pay attention to the fitting and nuanced expressions and reactions of characters who aren't even speaking in a scene, which really solidifies in making each character feel like they're real 3-dimensional people. Basically a second author, helping to tell even more of a story.

All the while the one thing that keeps this story on track and makes us as an audience feel like we can rely on to cut through the BS of any situation that comes up is, of course, the MC.

This guy fucks. Coming from other isekais that are filled to the brim with weak, typical, self-compromising MCs, this guy is a mfking breath of fresh air. He's not trying to be cool, he just is and (key) always stays true to himself. And when he does get swayed, it makes complete sense and progresses the plot. And the PLOT. So many twists and turns, it really subverts the standard isekai journey trope in a cool way that shows a lotttt of thought went into building the world with realistic issues, conflicts, and corruption that naturally follow anywhere there are people, even if it's in a fantasy world with magic and cheat skills.

Will try to erase this story from my brain and hopefully reread when it's been completed. Up to latest chapter 46, I'd say it's a solid 8.5. For comparison, I'd rate Hunter x Hunter a 9.5 -- technically rating both a half point down like Converse yfm since they're both still ongoing and how the story ends will always matter more than how it begins (lookin at you GoT).

Won't spoil anything but if you're caught up, the most recent plot development blew my fucking mind when I realized what happened even before I saw the final pages of the chapter (foreshadowing was great too). But again same feeling like Hunter x Hunter. I see the vision, but the execution seems daunting. Interested in how the author plans on going from here.

P.S. Togashi, bequeath your story to your wife/assistants and my life is yours. Ok peace.

- Wiing

Last edited:
OK, this one stated good, then went full Shonen. The bad guys are even named after the 7 deadly sins...

Users who are viewing this thread