Isekai Walking - Ch. 74 - Meeting Other Travellers

Dex-chan lover
Yep, there's no way to preserve fish for travel. I mean, unless you pack it in salt, and where is some seaside village going to get sal--

Fine, nevermind, but they're not near the sea. There's no way to preserve fish for travel without large amounts of salt, and they're inland. I mean, unless you smoke it, but where are you going to find wood in a fores--

Fine, nevermind, but what about in grassland, with no easy wood around to smoke them? THEN there's no way to preserve fish. Well, unless you use drying racks and the sun in wint-- ...Tsk.

AH! But what if you don't have any water with fish in it?

Dex-chan lover
In reality, fish was less common inland because it was harder to get large yields from riverfish, and transport costs for mass foodstuffs made trade of preserved seafood* uneconomical in the Middle Ages if you're hundreds of miles inland. ...Well, short of river barges, at least.

* Or massive amounts of most things with low profit margins over long distances, really.

Contributor
She'd probably wants to move around.
I mean, if you suddenly left a restrictive environment and then were suddenly carried around like luggage or merchandise, wouldn't that sour your mood
like how she will be carried inside the carriage? If she wants to move he can just let her walk around until she gets tired.

Dex-chan lover
More on why eating fish was never common even in real life.
This is just plain nonsense. Dried fish and salted fish are some of the oldest foodstuffs around. The Romans put fermented fish sauce on basically anything. If you think any civilization is going to just ignore a massive source of basically free protein because, uh, they don't have enough ice or some such nonsense, think again.
To think a different isekai would teach me fish logistics
My man, read a book.

Dex-chan lover
On the fish thing. This is fantasy world with magic and space folding bags and you telling me no one just salts/smokes/dries or magic freezes some fish and shoves in bags to transport for sale?
Maybe its only viable for richer merchants otherwise I guess.
But if not even that, kinda lame.

Dex-chan lover
@ClueByFour and @Dennis-aka-Denji
I do admit that I forgot dried and salted fish since manga virtually never mention them, after all japanese writers only think of fresh fish like how they eat, seriously, how many times do you guys remember ever seeing a isekai that mentions either?
My man, read a book.
Be less of a condescencing asshole, saying "read a book" don't make you look smarter, why would anyone go out of their way to read a book about how people preserved fish in the past? We both know that's niche knowledge that basically nobody cares about.

Dex-chan lover
Why can't he just carry her on his back for long journeys?
I'm reminded of the missions in Death Stranding where you have to carry people.... Needless to say it's better to just take a carriage.
tenor.gif

Dex-chan lover
@ClueByFour and @Dennis-aka-Denji
I do admit that I forgot dried and salted fish since manga virtually never mention them, after all japanese writers only think of fresh fish like how they eat, seriously, how many times do you guys remember ever seeing a isekai that mentions either?
... I've seen katsuobushi mentioned quite a bit? Manga is primarily the reason I know it even exists. Bonito flakes are one of the main ingredients of dashi, after all, and we all know how much manga authors love to pontificate about their food culture.

Dex-chan lover
... I've seen katsuobushi mentioned quite a bit? Manga is primarily the reason I know it even exists. Bonito flakes are one of the main ingredients of dashi, after all, and we all know how much manga authors love to pontificate about their food culture.
Was it regular cooking manga? Because I don't remember ever seeing it mentioned in isekai, though maybe I did see it in some and completely forgot.

So far in isekai I've only seen fish in two ways, either they're super common and easy to buy fresh and even safe to eat raw to boot, or fish is super rare due to the reasons I mentioned before, with salted or dried fish rarely getting mentioned at all because the character want to eat sushi and similar dishes, because Japanese can't live without eating raw fish.

Dex-chan lover
Be less of a condescencing asshole, saying "read a book" don't make you look smarter, why would anyone go out of their way to read a book about how people preserved fish in the past? We both know that's niche knowledge that basically nobody cares about.
Why would you explain things about a topic that you know nothing about and think is "niche knowledge that basically nobody cares about"?
You're like if Reddit was a person.

Dex-chan lover
Why would you explain things about a topic that you know nothing about and think is "niche knowledge that basically nobody cares about"?
Because I can.
You're like if Reddit was a person.
Says the guy who acts condescending to others and tell them to "go read a book", maybe you should look at yourself in the mirror before being a judgmental asshole.

Acting like an ass don't make you look better or smarter, it just makes you look like an ass.

Supporter
He met some cute age-appropriate girls that aren’t slaves and people are still complaining? Some people are just happier being unhappy I guess

Dex-chan lover
Long noses when bragging or proud.
I just learned that the idiom is 'to have a tall nose'. It's related to the mythical creature called a Tengu.

One of the most famous creatures from Japanese mythology is the Tengu, the winged and often beaked bird-human demons or spirits of the mountains and forest. In the old days Tengu were rather warlike demons whose appearance told of impending war and disaster and images of them from the early day show them as being more fearsome and birdlike than human, but since the Edo period they have gradually softened and are now seen as guardian spirits that often help people who respect them and the nature they live in. These days even the original beaks of Tengu have turned into the famously long red noses.

https://tokyobling.wordpress.com/2014/01/10/mount-takao-tengu/

Tengu are characterized as being vain and boastful. Sometimes when a person wants to silently indicate that another person is being overly proud, they will hold a closed fist in front of their nose, miming the act of grasping a long nose projecting from the face (presumably done out of the eyesight of the subject).

https://www.tofugu.com/japan/japanese-body-language/

Users who are viewing this thread