Isekai Walking - Vol. 5 Ch. 47 - Beginning the Journey of Two

Dex-chan lover
You know... MC could of took telepathy earlier and told Chris while they were on top of the hill that he can't join right now because he is being followed rather then being cryptic about it...

Dex-chan lover
ah yes, the secret art of making cheese, forgetting about it and having it ferment.
only a few select villages have figured out this very complicated technique.
...cheese? I gave the smoked bacon a pass cuz it was at least smoked using a specific wood native to the area the village making it was in, but this is 1 very simple to make food that has an exact analogue to common foods in this world too many
It's not that easy, there's specific bacteria for fermentation of each cheese, not to mention fungi and acids which may change the composition process.
There's couple dozen of cow milk, goat, sheep and whatnot that make totally different types of cheese.

Keep in mind they use carriages for travel and keeping procedure a trading secret, is what makes it valuable and local delicacy worth to pay for whoever likes something more out of common. We did plenty of very shady to terrible things to eat better, I'm looking at you, England... lol

Dex-chan lover
You know... MC could of took telepathy earlier and told Chris while they were on top of the hill that he can't join right now because he is being followed rather then being cryptic about it...
He is suspicious about them a bit, their story seems legit, but it's a war torn world with a demonic presence and trusting everyone, even if they might have saved his life ain't worth risking life.

Who knows what one might be of use, if a person who has seemingly god like powers could be somehow bent to their will.

Mc of any isekai story would be a great slave, not only due their power but also knowledge of our modern world, which would turn everyone extremely powerful by even one of our simple scientific advancements.

Even simple crop cultivation could turn tides in economical balance, recommend reading "Maoyuu Maou Yuusha" what introducing a potato could do.

Dex-chan lover
It's not that easy, there's specific bacteria for fermentation of each cheese, not to mention fungi and acids which may change the composition process.
There's couple dozen of cow milk, goat, sheep and whatnot that make totally different types of cheese.

Keep in mind they use carriages for travel and keeping procedure a trading secret, is what makes it valuable and local delicacy worth to pay for whoever likes something more out of common. We did plenty of very shady to terrible things to eat better, I'm looking at you, England... lol
Yea I am sure trying to make a very specific cheese is very hard, but cheese in general is not something only one town would know how to make, cheese has been around forever.

Yea I am sure trying to make a very specific cheese is very hard, but cheese in general is not something only one town would know how to make, cheese has been around forever.
I chalk it up to cheese just not being a common element of the traditional Japanese diet. For a Japanese author it might make sense that cheese is a rarity in a feudal-era setting, even if the story is set in a Western-inspired fantasy world. Since most isekai's entire worldbuilding is just a collection of video game tropes, it's not too surprising, really.

Fed-Kun's army
Rather than that, what i find strange with both cheese and bacon (salted or smoked) is that historically they were both common preserved foods valued for their long shelf life, yet here they are being limited to being specific local specialties that cant even make the 3 day journey into town without expiring. Whats next, gammon? clotted cream?

Dex-chan lover
Rather than that, what i find strange with both cheese and bacon (salted or smoked) is that historically they were both common preserved foods valued for their long shelf life, yet here they are being limited to being specific local specialties that cant even make the 3 day journey into town without expiring. Whats next, gammon? clotted cream?
Judging by it was region specific and monsters roaming around, things like that might not be a common thing to get.

All grown mammals are lactose intolerant, except European humans and European cats, so cheese being rare is normal.

Users who are viewing this thread