Isekai Yakkyoku - Vol. 4 Ch. 17.2 - Influenza and the case of a certain pharmacy 2

Hopefully some Japanese economist will get hit by a truck and teach Falma how to not destroy a pre-industrial economy.

Dex-chan lover
I might have that wrong in my memory, but didn't he offer the guild more than just compensation and a few new recipes? Didn't he offer nearly all access to his knowledge and they wanted to "think about it"?

What we've got here is a bad case of new technology flooding a market with new appropriate prices. It is true, that the MC and queen let it happens too fast, but the way those merchant "neo-nobles" react, would sooner or later cost them their business anyway. Those new ways and prices are coming! It would be for the best if the MC would set the prices of his medicine to a comparable price and let the superiority of his medicine speak for itself. Anyone who wouldn't be able to pay that price, could get a discount fitting to their income. So people, who wouldn't be able to buy effective medicine or medicine at all, are NOT dying! You may cry about the medical economy being hurt all you want, but losing workforce and children (future workforce) is also bad for the kingdom.

As I see it right now, those guys in the guild are well off. Some maybe a little bit too well. Maybe not even a little bit. They keep their life standards high on the cost of selling the public inferior medicine. They now their more inexpensive products don't work as nearly as well. They could do better, but they prefer their business being profitable. I do not believe their shops are about to go out of business, if they would lower their prices a bit. The guild keeps the prices up for the wrong reasons and as a result, people are dying or becoming handicapped for life. -> The guild, which reason for existence is to increase the success of the pharmacy industry, so that less people die, increases the death rate. It became an unnecessary existence and should be purged.

@Qelix The guild didn't have inferior medicine in the first place, all their medicine is based on "Potions" and charms (and the effectiveness of those items were incredibly low and may even hurt the patient but gave the patient peace of mind) also If I remember correctly in the novel it states that he had released the microscope, the scale and other technology to help, I don't believe he had stated giving out the creation of the medicine and it was pointed out earlier in the manga that he wouldn't be able to give out ways of creation until he educated people on the ways to create it (because they hadn't created Organic Chemistry yet) , as well as at the moment he is the only one who is able to create the medicine since, magic hands. And remember the MC just introduced ideas that the world doesn't completely understand yet and those who do other than the MC are the people in the highest reaches of the medical field, It would be unlikely for those who are researching into the field to understand and help publicize the knowledge when the majority of the populace can't read.

Dex-chan lover
@chibit: Thanks for clearing this up. So they could sell his products, that he can mass produce, like simple antibiotics, clean bandages and effective potions made from herbs, but this would mean for the guild to get dependent on the MC, while partially letting go of their old supply lines, which in turn at this moment are owned by some of the wealthier guild farts, I'm sure. The patient peace of mind, placebo effect, is nice and dandy and it does help in some cases, but selling the dream to get healthy again, when one has a sickness, that can't be cured by the body without an effective medicine, now that's no good. Even more if you do everything to disturb new technologies so your old business model continues, instead of looking into the new ways. Thinks shouldn't be rushed (as only we and the MC know, that his tech is working), but it should be at least verified.

Now we do have an interesting case here. Should we either
1. let a thriving medicine distributing industry, that distributes only half ways effective medicine, but DOES deliver, suffer damage by new technologies (this might mean that some people are cut off medicine for some time, effective or not, and might die) or
2. let that industry slow down this development, to gain time to adept, but in the meantime people, who could only be cured by the new medicine, are suffering and dying.

The best scenario would be no 2, with the guild adapting the new tech asap and in the meantime opening an experimental clinic. But that guild does not want to adept the new ways, as they fear it will lower their (personal) income. People will die either way, but in the first scenario the queen could step in and authorise an emergency medicine distribution program of the cheapest medicine, which would be MC's, to the poorest to lower the mortality rate. As a result the mortality rate would be lower than before and afterwards the new ways would have been established, lowering it further. And a lower mortality means a healthier economy, means more tax money. A dime wisely spend. Also, if the guild is forced to, it will react by adapting. Businesses fight and adapt, so they don't go out of business. They aren't that weak.

Thanks to all your team for their hard work & of such good quality on this wonderful manga!! Is hard for me to wait for next upload....wish I could afford to donate to you, but cannot afford food for myself. Thanks again for the hard work--I rarely catch any mistakes you do such a fantastic job on this interesting series! Can't wait for next installment!

Our MC forgot this: Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Our MC forgot this: Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

In America, if you teach a guy to fish, he'll spend thousands of dollars on a boat and fishing gear, then sit on the boat on the lake or river with his fishing gear, drinking beet

MD@Home
dang, this was a really nice chapter, enjoyed it thoroughly from the POV of this Pharmacist Guild member... very much empathize with his thoughts and opinions

Dex-chan lover
Hmm, I guess it might be worth noting that despite MC's cheap medical care for children, it's weird that even a pretty big commoner-pharmacist (I assumed he's a pretty big shot to sit there anyway) never even heard about it.

Maybe he's from another city or something? Hmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread