Island Manager

Did you see the little blush on his cheek at the end? I think I did!!! This is so fun and cute.

A ML that’s so intense and fluffy in one! FL saying “That’s Our Boss” is almost an endearment 💕. I’m laughing 😂 , heart eyes 😍 , annoyed 😒, giggling 😋, the office fan-girls are hilariously crazy 🤣, turtle-San is so cute 😆, then cursing the cliffhanger 🤬...all within the last 5 minutes. My husband asked if I was okay, like he’s worried over my mental health LOL! What’s happening next?!?

Contributor
Who marked this as shoujo, I wonder XD

I was weirded out by the tone (be it the cadence of the comedy, or how implicitly dismissive it is of the girl's intelligence and how triumphantly it ultimately frames the guy's) until I looked back at MangaUpdates and saw it was totally from shounen magazines.

Group Leader
@Pokari Yeah, I initially thought it was shounen when I saw the magazine too. But the magazine has a smaller “women’s section” as well, which this was published under. On the Japanese websites that I bought it from, it’s listed as shoujo and the author explicitly refers to it as shoujo on their social media. You’d be surprised how women are portrayed even when the target audience is other women lmao

Contributor
@Satansslut669:

I would not be surprised, I read shoujo more than shounen XD But there's a world of difference, such as I would have difficulty articulating eloquently, between how this couple would be portrayed in a typical or even atypical shoujo manga, and how it is portrayed here—there's very different ways to go about saying "Oh, I'm such a ditz!", "Wow, I thought he was handsome and horrible but he's also so awkward, funny, and smart!". And this one has a pretty starkly male perspective, despite the girl being the narrating protagonist.

I can, however, totally believe if you say that this is nominally-shoujo manga, but with a shounen author and shounen magazine editors XD

Either way, thanks for the explanation. :'p

Group Leader
@Pokari Not a problem, I figured that this issue would come up sooner or later lol 😅

I definitely agree re: heavy male perspective and have no doubt that it being published in a shounen magazine had something to do with that. I’ve debated leaving the shoujo tag off entirely because because of it (and I personally think this manga could be characterized as either shounen or shoujo)...

Users who are viewing this thread