Issak - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - Just A Single Reinforcement

Dex-chan lover
Very well researched first chapter. One of the best I've ever seen.

There's only two minor quibbles I have, and they're both probably the translators fault.

The first are the two rapey soldiers who talk about selling the girl as a slave. Slavery had been extinct in Western Europe since the 1200's (There were other forms of exploitation, and English and Dutch companies were secretly just getting started in the New World). The nearest slave markets at the time were in the Ottoman Empire almost 1000 miles away, too far to make the journey worthwhile. What they were probably talking about was pimping her out to other soldiers in their troop. Renting out her body, not selling into domestic servitude.

The second is the girl, Otto and Heinrich all calling Issak's gun a "rifle" on sight. Rifling existed at the time, and Otto and Heinrich would've probably heard about it at the very least, but it was rare, fussy and tricky technology. None of the three would've recognized the musket as a rile without close examination of the bore first. Again, probably the translators fault.

Why not just translate everything properly? This is mechanical apartheid all over again. I'm cringing just reading this unnaturally flowing dialogue. Why isn't "spanish" translated as "español"? This is considered "one of the best researched" by the manga community? That's a big yikes from me dog.

Group Leader
I'm guessing its a "very well researched first chapter" of the manga in its original language (regarding the historical accuracy) and not necessarily a well researched translation from Japanese to English (which was still pretty good I think).

Double-page supporter
Were there really Japanese people in Europe at this time? What about the closed borders policy?

Dex-chan lover
@torikun It's not exactly impossible. Even with the law, pirates and such should still be able to smuggle your way out, and the western colonization can bring you to Europe.

Still, I don't think anyone famous from Japan is there at the time

Dex-chan lover
What's the name of the three-point spear one of the soldier had? I remember seeing Japanese one, but not the Western one.

Dex-chan lover
The defenders of that town seemed quite incompetent. Apart from the Japanese superhuman, of course.

Fed-Kun's army
Were there really Japanese people in Europe at this time? What about the closed borders policy?
A Japanese embassy led by Hasekura Tsunenaga had visited several European nations between 1614-1616, some members of his embassy decided to stay in Europe and there are several hundred people living Spanish village of Coria del Rio with surname Japón, who are descendants of those Japanese who settled in that village.

Closed border policy or sakoku was not enacted until 13 years after the year this chapter takes place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakoku
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasekura_Tsunenaga#Mission_to_Europe

Dex-chan lover
Very well researched first chapter. One of the best I've ever seen.

There's only two minor quibbles I have, and they're both probably the translators fault.

The first are the two rapey soldiers who talk about selling the girl as a slave. Slavery had been extinct in Western Europe since the 1200's (There were other forms of exploitation, and English and Dutch companies were secretly just getting started in the New World). The nearest slave markets at the time were in the Ottoman Empire almost 1000 miles away, too far to make the journey worthwhile. What they were probably talking about was pimping her out to other soldiers in their troop. Renting out her body, not selling into domestic servitude.

The second is the girl, Otto and Heinrich all calling Issak's gun a "rifle" on sight. Rifling existed at the time, and Otto and Heinrich would've probably heard about it at the very least, but it was rare, fussy and tricky technology. None of the three would've recognized the musket as a rile without close examination of the bore first. Again, probably the translators fault.
3rd is the fact that Spinola lost even though he won this campaign against the palatin and should have died 10 years later.

Users who are viewing this thread