Itou Junji Kyoufu Manga Collection - Vol. 16 Ch. 1 - Frankenstein

I'm supposed to be reading this for school but I like this version better. Also this will help since it's basically scene by scene.

Fed-Kun's army
Visually gorgeous. Itou's mature drawing style works really well with it.
It's a really good adaptation until "Itou's twist" begins. It's... honestly a bad twist. The monster is supposed to be 100% good from birth, it were his circunstances which made him a monster. Lady monster being murderous since opening her eyes just doesn't work in this setting. Even if she looks awesome.
Worst thing, though, is that Itou just introduces this little change without making any larger compromise. The ending is exactly the same. So the monster's girlfriend stotyline ends up being a detour in the middle on the road that ruins the moral without taking the story far enough from its original destiny as to justify said detour.
Good read but it doesn't reach the novel.
(To be honest though I wouldn't even had read this if it wasn't part of the collection, since I kind of dislike adaptations, so I might be a little hard on it)

Dex-chan lover
@Meduchi
That's because this story is based on the original book. It actually follows the plot very closely as all of the events depicted more or less happen in the book. The only large difference being that in the book Victor chose not to create the bride rather than the bride being unsuccessful.

Fed-Kun's army
Daaaaamn... and here I thought The Long Dream was the best of Itou's. Manga will never be the same for me again. What a masterpiece.

Though I haven't read the original Frankenstein to be disappointed with any negative changes. All I can say is that this was an amazing journey by itself.

Edit: and then the same volume ends in a short chapter about a dude that buys literal shit and pranks his family with it. Itou-sensei, wtf?

this was longer than i expected but it was really good, i haven't read the original but this was good

Double-page supporter
I never knew Ito did this, what a great find. I love the original and i'm amazed at how true he kept to it. Such a sad story

Users who are viewing this thread