Itou-kun wa Koi wo Shiranai. - Vol. 3 Ch. 13 - Yuuen's Secret

Group Leader
WHO IS SHE to dictate someone else's happiness anyway?

Would Yuuen be happy if she was ostracized at school?
Would she be happy if she was haunted by the image of her mother leaving her every night when she sleeps?
Would ANYONE be happy if she's let out in a society where no one cares for her well-being?

@Aoitenshi a) if she had the memories and then asked to have them gone again he could just take them away again, but it would be an informed decision on her part. b) just taking away bad memories instead of facing them means you don't grow as a person.

Group Leader
@Xitel The 6-year-old her was so pitiful in the nekomata's eyes, which made him take her painful memories away in the first place. His approach and reasoning might have been awkward, but in the end, she did manage grow up safely (although instantaneously). Growing up both physically and mentally was the reason she could accept her past in the final few pages.

Meanwhile, our goody two shoes MC simply rejected the whole notion and thought 'I wouldn't want that'. It came to me as an insult even though she didn't say it out loud.

Dex-chan lover
@Aoitenshi I wonder if someone should kidnap you and trap in a room where you'll be happy forever. Nobody would consider taking away this happyness.
Also what's wrong with human scolding yokai?

Group Leader
@kwendy I admit she was right when she scolded the youkai for taking the memories and time from the little girl.
But he had apologized for that and returned everything back, and fortunately, she appreciated what the youkai did.

On the other hand, the MC simply slapped what should have been a happy ending into "Yes, she's happy. It's all that matters. But if it were me..."
That last sentence was definitely uncalled for.

Dex-chan lover
@Aoitenshi MC is just empathising with the girl's circumstances, trying to get into her shoes. After all, she, too, is pretty involved with frankly dangerous matters and is justified for being concerned.

@Aoitenshi When she said "I wouldn't want that" she wasn't referring to having her time and memory taken away, she was talking about suddenly growing from a child to an adult without actually experiencing it. Yuuen has spent 15 years of her life in the sharehouse, and didn't experience any of the social situations a human child would have gone through, not to mention that what for regular people would have been gradual physical changes have all occurred in the span of seconds with no time to adapt to them. She's had no chance to build relationships outside of the Yokai, and all the people she played with just minutes ago are suddenly 15 years younger than her. Yes, Yuuen is happy in the short term, but moving forward her life is going to be drastically different.

Also, the whole reason Yoshiuchi starts doubting herself is because she realizes she essentially just did the same thing the Nekomata did: she forced her values on Yuuen without considering her opinion. Maybe Yuuen would have preferred to stay a child and not have those memories, but Yoshiuchi just selfishly argued with the Nekomata that he was wrong to force his values onto Yuuen, without realizing that she was doing exactly that.

Users who are viewing this thread