Jiken Jaken! - Vol. 7 Ch. 84 - Installment!

Dex-chan lover
What's wrong with the Japanese language? There are too many mangas that use this as a joke.

Dex-chan lover
@talas A lot of Japanese is based on context. For example, if you say “gakusei desu” you’re basically saying “I’m/He/She/We/They are students”. There are also a lot of words that are pronounced the same and the only difference between those words is the kanji and the context in which it is used. For that reason, misunderstandings can happen often.

Supporter
tbh, i feel like these bits are non canon.

cos if they aren't, how tf does Himawari face Toiri?

I don't get how you get these misunderstandings like usually its because a word has multiple meanings or slang? But not in this case it just I got it? ok what? Bronze what? Like maybe because i don't know Japanese or its structure but this how thing relies on her not asking about the context which just makes her look dumb

Dex-chan lover
@ryaone A conversation like that wouldn't be possible in any language between humans. It might happen between two rudimentary AIs, as they couldn't care less about topics, contexts, expectations, prior experiences, plausibilities, etc. But that's the joke in the chapter.

Aggregator gang
@ryaone the thing is, we don't know what the translators have done to that line specifically. It might be a pun on bronze, or the translators might have added bronze to attempt to bridge the misunderstanding with balls, I'm not even sure if the Japanese refer to third place as bronze outside of the Olympics like we do in the west. Kinda just have to give the translators the benefit of the doubt, Japanese wordplay is an absolute nightmare to translate when not every term they use has an English equivalent, and vice versa.

Bruh I'm surprised the club leader still hasn't fallen in love...? Idk if it's jealousy she has or she just doesn't wanna lose her friend she's also quite the pervert too lmfao and she judges the mc😂😂😂

@OnionKnightRises
@ryaone
The thing about Japanese is that their alphabet is ALSO their syllables. All of them. Ever. Which is like I think under 100. So they only really have 100 sounds to work with. So you get a lot of misunderstandings because a lot of words have synonyms. Such as the word for "nose", hana, also sounding the same for "flower", hana.

Also, the Bronze = Balls isn't necessarily that far off. The word "kintama" means "Golden Jewel/Ball", which is used as slang for testicles. Using a valuable metal, I don't know this for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if they use the other metals as slang either.
https://i.imgur.com/ID78Wdu.png

Say

Group Leader
To anyone wondering why the chapter may seem so confusing, it was basically a chapter filled with japanese puns.
Translating japanese puns into english is extremely difficult, since they lose their actual punch, so the translator tried to make it understandable, the result is this. There may be some hiroshima dialect in the mix so I think he did a good enough job of conveying the basic idea of the puns.

Dex-chan lover
I have rarely felt such sympathy for the second girl as I do for Himawari <3

@talas
it's a total mess, dude
you would think that a language with 4 alphabets wouldn't have problems with precision, but here we are

Dex-chan lover
Ugh, another awful take at the misunderstanding trope. Thank god it's close to ending.

Dex-chan lover
@Kimzark I mean, it hasn't gone anywhere in all these chapters, it's safe to assume the ending will be more of the same, no?.

Dex-chan lover
dang, this chapter seemed really hard to translate, with all the double entendres

I much prefer Ainz&Demiurge type misunderstandings to this kind. Ones where they actually lead to sth surprisingly productive.

Dex-chan lover
The translation might be a little weird or did she really heard it like that?
Whatever the case is, like always the misunderstanding is drag to last about the whole session and no one clearly portray their real image about the topic.

Users who are viewing this thread