Jisatsutou - Vol. 17 Ch. 160 - Where Ryou returns to

Fed-Kun's army
Haha TL, well at least he died from that silly mistake he did, so I guess it wasn't all bad.
@Kendama tell him, what an entitled person

Aggregator gang
I feel kinda bad but I actually laughed when Sei started to cry dnsajkdnafkd

i know is usually frown upon the whole "translator left a personal comment" but I didn't mind this time. Maybe because i was too busy laughing at the entire scene.

Oh and im probably on the minority (?) but im glad he died so he wouldnt have to be forced to be paired up with Miki. I just never saw them as a good couple.

@Kendama I, for one, really appreciate the notes. And they are in a small font, barely noticeable. Let the haters keep the hate flowing.

Power Uploader
Ryou's death was a dumb and unnecessary way to add drama to the endgame. I just can't bring myself to feel anything for the guy when this is entirely his own damn fault. Not to mention the survivors will still have to deal with the fallout, since now there's a psychopath on the loose.

Supporter
@Kendama Bravo on all counts. Especially the TLN, which helped me crystallize what seemed weird about that scene.

Alternate hypothesis, playing devil's advocate: The author knows his primary audience well, and is giving them what they want - women who are happy to exist only as objects of men's desires. They don't need to say anything, much less have personalities that can't be described in a blurb. They just need to exist.

Dex-chan lover
@Kendama You're pretty much mirroring my sentiments though: I throw these cute little comments out at your cute little hobby because it's what I feel like doing, not because I hope for anything to change. Your actual feeling about my opinion likewise do not matter as much as you seem to believe they do, because just like 99% of people who post comments, I'm also just posting for the sake of posting. Unless you yourself come at me with a comment like yours, which pretty much begs for a reply. If you go back to read what you've posted, you'll notice how it mostly amounts to "Hey, I'm replying with this lengthy comment to tell you how much I don't care", which is always adorable to read, so I have to thank you for that.

As for the analogy, it got my point across, which is all of what it was meant to do. Analogies are by their very nature not 100% percent accurate, an obvious fact for those that stop to consider what analogies are by definition. In this case, it's purpose was to demonstrate why you're a complete weirdo for what you do to your work and are thus inviting people to call you out on it. The want/need dichotomy pretty much doesn't factor into the purpose of the analogy at all, making your point very much a non-point.

But thanks for the free entertainment, I suppose, since that's what you seem to be so desperate to hear.

Power Uploader
@twinklecake Haha, you're great by reciprocating, as if the entertainment isn't mutual. And of course, your conclusion of what I may or may not be "desperate" to hear is the validation you need for your higher ground. 'Cause you know, your complaining (don't delude yourself by saying you're only giving an opinion, you clearly voiced your annoyance with the DVD analogy that started this) is a smoking gun. You seriously think your comment couldn't be subject to a "oh, he's begging for a reply" interpretation just like mine? Don't try so hard to pretend you aren't wading through the same mud I am. But you jumped into the mud first, I merely thought it would be fun to follow for once. We can share the podium for adorable fools of the week. The point being, I know I was climbing that podium from the start.

Of course all analogies are imperfect. But what I'm pointing out is that a "weirdo" tag is pretty much no-nonsense in the case of the orphanage, because one is being deliberately nasty to children in words, while giving them something they need. Whereas in this case, it's not that clear-cut at all. I wasn't giving my translations to you, and you don't need them; you're just a parasite, or as a fellow editor once said of you readers, a "mass that just kinda clings to us". You may think me a weirdo, but plenty of people don't.

As for the "lengthy comment to point out I don't care", I dealt with that once before. I don't care in the sense that it won't make me change my ways, and it doesn't bring me validation to defend what needs no defending, namely, how I go about my hobby. I only "care" in the sense I care about interacting with a friend's pet, or seeing monkeys jumping among branches in a zoo. I may spent a good half an hour with them, I may go out of my way to buy snacks for them, and it will add to my daily amusement, but in the end it doesn't matter much in how I conduct myself in life. The proof? Three other people have complained about the notes, one of them in a pretty flamboyant way, but I found your analogy adorably flawed and decided to engage. Hey, consider yourself chosen, it's the first in years I've bothered with your lot. I'm a sucker for poor analogies, I guess. Whether you believe what I'm saying or not, it doesn't matter, just as I'm sure it doesn't the other way round.

By the way, you aren't being totally honest here. You chose "weirdo", consciously or not, because it's neutral and doesn't fault you for being a self-entitled bastard or anything. In the orphanage analogy, the sock-giver would be much worse than a weirdo. But you were annoyed by the notes, or you wouldn't have taken the trouble to comment. And it's totally fine that you are. But if you voice your annoyance, don't be surprised if you get a reply.

Dex-chan lover
@Kendama I will completely honestly say that I wasn't begging or even expecting a reply with that first comment. It was a complete throwaway post. Once you started this, though? I'll fully admit to being invested. I mean, the exchange was providing me with actual entertainment, unlike, say, a manga that says "This is a bad manga and you shouldn't be enjoying it" on its pages. At first I mostly just wanted to point out that this piece of free non-entertainment is a few snarky notes short of being free actual entertainment. I suppose that does technically count as annoyance, as you've pointed out.

"Wading through the mud" is not really a descriptor that applies, though. I mean, holy shit, guy, the fact that that's the expression that felt appropriate to you implies some serious problems. Go get some actual emotional support for whatever's actually bothering you rather than whatever it is you're trying to do here.

Comparing me to a parasite pretty much mostly just says something about you. I mean, if a pool is full of leeches, you're the guy who cuts his foot and dips his foot into it and then claims to not care about the parasites and their opinions on how his blood tastes. If it was only the bleeding part you cared about, you'd never dip your foot into the pool and then go on to listen to the opinions of the leeches that stick to it. That you haven't replied to each and every one of the detractors does nothing to mitigate the fact that you've dedicated several paragraphs now to your conversation with me on how much you don't care when people don't like your free services. You can't possibly be this self-unaware about how much you're acting like you've got heaps of sand in your vagina right now. (Go ahead and insist that this is all fun and games for you right now, I'm sure someone will buy it.)

As for the rest, I fully stand behind the analogies I've made. They work as intended, you're merely demanding that I work the fact that it's free into them when, as I've already stated, that is completely irrelevant to me and the point I'm making. I'll take the weirdo part back though: With that last post, you've proven yourself not to be merely quirky but full-on troubled. I'm gonna cease my funposting with this comment and suggest you do the same and work on getting your shit together however you deem fit.

Power Uploader
@twinklecake The comparison of readers to parasites is pretty much par for the course among scanlators. It is particularly apposite to those who, unlike leeches, have opinions on the blood they're eating. (Another failed analogy there - the leeches are much better than you.) Leeches, peasants, parasites, freeloaders, these are all terms that have been used to readers since long before I became a scanlator. You can take my word for it, it's widespread, even if some keep it to themselves in private staff channels in Discord. The only dignified answer of an aggravated reader is silence. And ignoring what annoys them, of course. It's the same on our part, and that's where wading through the mud comes from: I consciously let go of my dignity when I engage annoyed readers (which, believe it or not, is once in a while, you're the first in what, two years?). That you unconsciously do so only means that dignity may not be the currency you trade in, but that's the second nature of entitled readers anyway, so no surprise there.

The reason I put out what I translate, and many of my colleagues I've talked to work on scans? (There are other reasons, of course, we're not the Borg.) To know what happens next in the story, and to have someone to talk about it with. In a sense, so we aren't the only readers because it's boring. It's when you talk about the series, and its characters, and the story (even to bash them, as I thoroughly relish in the case of this series), that we feel some sort of return of our effort. When you opine on how we scanlate, then we're reminded that sometimes the people we invite to our party aren't quite as fun as we had hoped. I suppose you can say the same of your hosts, but hey, the hosts are throwing out the party, have some shame and leave if you can't put up with it, nobody has locked the door.

Hosts will keep throwing parties because they're fun, and most of the guests have fun as well, even if they might not like all the appetisers. This is to highlight that the ones who whine about the appetisers won't factor in the decision to throw a party - but once in a blue moon, they may be engaged by the hosts, to see how far they go before they snap. And boy, snap you did! Even your desperate attachment to the notion that you're the only one having fun here is getting embarrassing now. If I put a dose of bitter rum next to the cocktail I'm giving you, you have the option of not drinking the rum. Don't drink it and then complain that the cocktail was awful. As someone pointed out, nobody is putting a gun to your head to read the notes.

And if you think that the point I'm making is that my hobby is free for you, then I think we can add lack of sense to lack of dignity.

Supporter
@A-tan I feel kinda bad but I actually laughed when Sei started to cry dnsajkdnafkd

Kindred spirit! 😄

If you're old enough for it, were you also tempted to cheer at Shatner's maudlin death scene in Star Trek: Generations? Or perhaps more aptly, start rooting for the aliens by the end of Species because the protagonists were so suicidally stupid?
("Hmm. We're looking for a shapeshifting alien who's trying to get a human to fertilize her eggs. Hot woman suddenly approaches me in a bar and wants to have sex ...oh well, who am I to question good fortune? Let's get it on!")

Fed-Kun's army
@Kendama BOOM! rekt him!
The added comments (which are few, I'd welcome more) tends to give me a chuckle, and relieve my confusion and pain with some glee.
Now, if I don't like this manga, why do I read it at all? I like the world-building, which gives room for a lot of interesting things to happen, which it did, but the characters don't feel genuine to me. And that's annoying. And people share that exact annoyance with me. And that's comforting. So thanks for your work, you're the best group I know of. (Death Toll in general)

@Kendama
Ok i've had enough. I tried to ignore it for the last few chapters but this is too much. The series is over now but for the future you would do well to shut the fuck up.
It's extremely disrespectful towards the work you're translating and i'd rather you quit than keep delivering shit like this.
I get it, mommy and daddy didn't give you enough attention so you really need to get it elsewhere, but nobody else actually cares to hear it.

>inb4 hurr durr it's free
oh, does that mean i should put up with MTL, low quality scans and shit like this that deliberately shits all over the scenes you're supposedly translating? i don't fucking think so. i'm grateful and appreciate scanlators but egomaniacs like you can go fuck off for all i care.

Power Uploader
@genji-s You would rather I quit my hobby?

Good one.

I have absolutely zero respect for this series and if you hadn't noticed that already, I suggest you take lessons in interpreting what you read.

And yes, much as I dislike MTL and low-q scans, I do think parasites would do well to put up with whatever scanlators decide to churn out. Not that you will. Whining and squirming is your sole right, and ignoring you is our sole privilege.

Just use that block button for Death Toll Scans. Problem solved.

@Kendama
Haha, i like you calling your readers parasites.

But were you under the impression that you more than that yourself? This whole product we're seeing here, "jisatsutou", how much of it did you make? 10%, probably even way less?
I guess i forgot, i'm not reading jisatsutou, i'm reading jisatsutou + the genius and witty remarks of kendama! That way you can almost make this YOUR work now, amazing!
This is exactly the kind of big ego that lead you to believe you can still act haughty even after this garbage behaviour.

I don't really care what you do. I just want you to know what people like me are thinking when they complain about shit like this.

Power Uploader
@genji-s Naturally, I have the full endorsement of my fellow team members about this. You'll see that a few notes are by the proofreader, in fact. Our typesetter didn't write a note, but he did say "good riddance!" when this was over. In fact, the only people who can veto notes in our group are those directly involved. You'll see there were no notes in the chapters redrawn by ILikeTurtles. It was on his express request. I'm only beholden to my colleagues.

So, if you want no notes, take our test and join us. Then you can be an involved party and give me a reason to care about you.

And yes, readers as parasites is how I've gone about scanlation all these years. It's no mystery among those who know me. And it's a common attitude in scanlation. Not sure how long you've been around, but the common word for you is "leecher". As any parasite, they can give you a pleasant itch, or a pain in the arse. Guess which one you are vying to become.

Naturally, I know full well how people like you think. You seriously believe you're the first? Born yesterday, eh?

@Kendama
>I know full well how people like you think.
And yet somehow my point went right over your head, eh? So no, you clearly don't.
Try reading again.

Or since you have trouble comprehending, let me spell it out for you: You're no less of a parasite than i am. and yet you act like you stand above the work you're leeching from, calling your readers leeches as if you're not one yourself. I wonder if you truly do understand what i'm saying.
Also i don't really care what happened for these TLN to turn out like this. The fact is that they're there and i'm complaining about them. You're just receiving them in place of your group.
Obviously complaints are worth nothing, but don't try to deny that the complaints are well justified. If you disagree then go read my posts a few more times. Until it sinks into your gigantic head.

Power Uploader
@genji-s Yes, but I am not spamming the author I'm parasitising with my obnoxious notes. I also know his English is terrible and I doubt he reads piraye scans. The virtue of the parasite is not bothering its host. If anything, I made his nonsense reach more people.

The justification for a complaint... is the complainer's own mindset. You can see readers who are appreciative of notes here and elsewhere. I also feel fully justified in writing down what I think. The difference is that I can do it in the chapter, and you can do it here.

@Kendama
>The difference is that I can do it in the chapter, and you can do it here.
The comment section belongs to everyone, but the manga doesn't actually belong to you or your group. That's the difference.
You guys might think of it as "your work", but the product we are seeing here, 90% wasn't made by you or your group. It simply isn't your work ,so it isn't yours to defile no matter how shitty it actually is.
This is why i compared it to MTL. Except that MTLtards can't help themselves, they can't do any better. Whereas snarky TLN are completely deliberate while delivering similar levels of sacrilege.

I'm not even a no-TLN hardliner, but it just kept getting worse in these chapters. To the point where the notes were trying to tell me how to feel about what i'm reading while i'm reading the scene. I mean this is clearly not top content, but this is still extremely disrespectful and self-important imo.

Power Uploader
@genji-s Well, but we're pirates. We have no regard for the fact that the manga doesn't belong to us. Self-importance and disrespect are baked into piracy. Don't tell me you missed that memo? There's no moral standard whereby we have to stop by copyright breach, and show respect beyond that.

Users who are viewing this thread