Jishou F-Rank no Oniisama ga Game de Hyouka sareru Gakuen no Chouten ni Kunrin suru Sou desu yo?

You know, I've always wondered why the protagonists of these mangas want to fail their exams or degrade themselves so low that they would be bullied. You can lead a normal life by just being like other normal people. You don't have to be the lowest guy in the totem pole.

Aggregator gang
There’s nothing much here. I wouldn’t recommend this. Just to give you a synopsis, WW3 apparently struck and everything was in chaos. Very original right? And every country is in chaos because of this war and the current state of government. So, they decided to settle MAJOR DECISIONS WITH GAMBLING. And when I’m talking about decisions, I’m talking about nuclear bombs, radio active fuel, bio weapons, a thing called gods hand, weapons, the whole package! You’d think they would try to fix the corrupt government, but no! They just went ahead and said, “Oh, we should reject humanity and revert back to monke.” Gambling monke to be exact. And, this MC is some prodigy who wants to live a “normal life” by putting himself at the bottom of the totem pole in this school. And this not your average school, no no no! It’s the best school in Japan that also focuses on gambling! And did I forget to mention? He tires his best to not interfere with other people making sure he’s a “normal” person. BUT, this one country girl gets bullied because she’s suuuuuuuuuper bad at gaaames. And when you lose, you have to become the winners pet and lose all the money you betted. And, the person who won is playing dirty tricks to ensure absolute victory every single time. Just like all the other big bads. Reminds me of something very familiar. So, the MC comes in to save the day. Also, his sister is a brother con. Yeah, have fun with her.

You might be asking why I’m complaining about this in the first place. Well, that’s because I want to tell new readers that there is nothing redeeming about this. So, if you want a stupid power fantasy with some stupid game logic and some cute girls, come right in. But, if you want a good gambling manga, move along!

Suck-a-duck is on point. Gambling manga are low-tier to begin with, but this one is more nonsensical than most. All the big gotcha moments rely on deus ex machina or idiot balls, which ruins the dramatic potential. If the audience doesn't understand the limitations that constrain the characters, then they can't appreciate when characters do something extraordinary or clever.

I feel like this manga subconsciously realizes this, which is why the villains are so outrageous and the fanservice so incongruent. The manga is reaching for anything and everything to distract from a fundamental lack of engaging content. It's aping another manga (that shall not be named) without understanding what made the other work appealing.

Dex-chan lover
Pretty dull overall.
I dislike the sister character. The MC keeps repeating that he just wants to live a normal, peaceful life, and avoid the whole gambling scene.
But the sister doesn't care at all and is intentionally trying to throw him back into that and messing up his chances of having a normal life.
That's not love. That's psychopathic obsession.

So basically...... No Game No Life without magic and an unwilling protagonist? Good thing I looked at the comments before reading this, now I won't waste so much time

Aggregator gang
Bruh where are the teachers at I have yet to see a single one why the hell they lettin' 'em wild in this b man

Double-page supporter
I tried to give this a chance despite the fact I've yet to find a gambling plot that was enjoyable (outside of No Game No Life). I'm dropping it now after a particularly awful 'twist' that relies on the reader accepting that established characterizations don't actually matter, everything's on a set of rails and the outcome's been set even if the events leading up to it don't justify the result.

The one credit I'll give is my bias is against these sorts of characters and stories, the gambling and supernaturally intelligent people who don't think like normal people. But I don't think that is enough to gloss over the laziness in proving the supposed intelligence. The characters are smarter than the writers and the end result is they make completely arbitrary decisions that only serve to grant them victory because deus ex machina.

These sorts of stories end up being like a bad mystery novel where the expectations are only subverted for its own sake, not because it's part of an actual clever planned reveal. None of the evidence matters, you'd have better chances of predicting the secret by excluding any possibility that has been presented as actually plausible.

Wait. I do have one bit of praise to offer. There's a point where multiple characters confirm for MC that slave students have lost their rights and are considered possessions rather than people (which they're really inconsistent with but I digress). So I do approve of MC using their own statements against them when claiming he didn't receive assistance from another person. Further, I think he would actually have been easily capable of using their other rules against them since the 'assistance' was only possible if they were breaking rules they claimed to care about enforcing.

Users who are viewing this thread