JK Haru wa Isekai de Shoufu ni natta - Vol. 3 Ch. 10 - Kicking The Can To The Beat~ While Listening To Donna Summer~ 4

Dex-chan lover
@Tsuyukihime Maybe read your own cited paper before making claims about what it says? I mean, it outright states, "A quantitative analysis of the studies that served as the foundation of their conclusion did however reveal a very consistent pattern of results in the direction of greater pain sensitivity in females", "The direction of sex differences in pain responses across multiple stimulus modalities and pain measures is highly consistent, with women showing greater sensitivity than men", and the conclusion even states, "Epidemiologic and clinical findings clearly demonstrate that women are at increased risk for chronic pain and some evidence suggests that women may experience more severe clinical pain. Studies of experimentally induced pain have produced a very consistent pattern of results, with women exhibiting greater pain sensitivity, enhanced pain facilitation and reduced pain inhibition compared with men, though the magnitude of these sex differences varies across studies." and that this holds true for chronic pain, which is what the paper is more specifically addressing by saying is inconsistent, rather than the specific acute pain for being kicked in the groin .

Hell, here's a paper cited in *that* paper showing that testosterone affects pain and pain threshold effects such that more of it acts as a suppressant. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23318125/

If the papers (or thesis) I was referencing were freely available, I would have linked them. Unfortunately, they aren't published outside of a journal (at least as of yet) in a way that can be shared with the public, but I can share a publically written Reddit thread the author wrote about the thesis I mentioned: https://www.reddit.com/r/SelfDefense/comments/agz07u/it_really_truly_does_hurt_women_to_be_struck_in/.

Also, don't cast aspersions at someone trying to make them out to be a liar if you don't want to look like you're trying to be belligerent. Or maybe just not be such a dick to begin with, like you did with your original confrontational post while also showing your ignorance? Simply asking for citations or sources would look far better than this perfect example of a Dunning-Kruger setup where you cite a paper that supports my claim, not yours, lol.

@Amariithynar The writing doesn't really improve, it just stays pretty consistent. Granted I've always thought it was mid, and this whole arc felt out of place to me even in the novel.

Neuron ACTIVATED.

Distracting people with your cans in a competition is bad sportsmanship, mkay? Job security as a prostitute is bad, mkay? Getting hit in the genitalia is bad, mkay? Power abuse is bad, mkay? Rape is bad, mkay? Can we all agree about these things?

Dex-chan lover
@IShallReadTheHeavens All of the above except job security.

@kingaron Yeah the writing was never really great before, but it was still all around a lot better before this arc. Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels it's out of place.

Thank you for the update! I actually like this manga, if only because it’s a different approach to the traditional isekai thing.

Dex-chan lover
@Amariithynar I wasn't trying to be belligerent... honestly you came off that way. And I'm failing to see how it supports your claim... when it clearly shows that the numbers/statistics aren't large enough to be representative or significant. I don't see how it's conclusive at all when they state that it quite literally isn't, and there's still a lot unknown before we can make claims like you are. All I said in the beginning is that there's no way you can know for sure, because no study has been conclusive. But thanks for misrepresenting my point and being a complete ass. Cheers mate

le3

Dex-chan lover
I just hope this arc ended with all of them stay friend,this arc is so wholesome I can't stand if the author pull a gut punch....

@DjAlexDubCheck My definition of job security is having a safe job you can consistently work. Usually, it means continuity in employment.

@Amariithynar I believe job security is bad as a prostitute, especially in the JK's setting of another world. You don't know if a pimp is having a bad day, your customers are extra cruel, or you get some STD. What is law enforcement going to look at you like? Your friends, family, neighbors, etc? Will you get any customers after doing XYZ, or this hero/government official/noble/merchant/other prostitute doesn't like you? Your reputation, as a normal person, wouldn't go up over time, so good luck finding a place that will continue supporting you. You can get your ass handed to you at any time. Being injured and lacking performance because of it lowers your wages, and that can cycle to termination or debt. The market pushes for youth, skill, and appearances. Age doesn't help prostitutes much. Pregnancy might be a death sentence. You're probably gonna have to whore yourself on your own while escaping your past.

Dex-chan lover
@IShallReadTheHeavens Those issues are things that lower job security, not raise it. A high job security means that the job is safe and reliable for the worker, with little chance of them losing their job or their life. If there's actual risk of death, then the job is not very secure. Similarly, if there is little retention for workers in a given field, the job is also not secure, such as if they can be fired or removed on a whim (See: USA's widespread "at-will" employment). With Haru's work, we see that it's actually rather secure; there are no pimps who treat her as if they own her, instead a brothel madam who rents her space to work for room and board, but does not take any of the earnings of Haru directly. Similarly, there are rules to the establishment (including ways in which some rules can be bent or broken for a premium, if the prostitute is willing and accepts the offer, as happened with the john who wanted to choke her), she is free to leave so long as she can settle her bill (though there is little reason to do so unless one has brighter prospect ahead of them), and lastly (for this non-exhaustive list), there's the fact that instead of working a street corner, which has a lot more variance and risk to it in that the desperate will avail themselves of street walkers, and, since they're typically alone, they're also often extremely vulnerable if someone wants to abuse them for darker things, she works in a brothel, where there is a base expectation of the clientele, and we see well-off mercenaries and merchants are the sort that avail themselves of Haru's charms, primarily.

All this to say: No, job security is a GOOD thing, for the worker, no matter the field, no matter the social or other issues that may arise from working in any given field.

@Amariithynar Friend, I believe we're on the same page, but you're misunderstanding me. I have to say I worded it terribly. I am not saying job security is bad. The level of job security is bad as a prostitute. Of the many customers the JK experienced, she was forced to endure for her wages and reputation. She cannot afford to displease anyone lest she ruin her semi-stable livelihood, and so, bears the physical and mental pain of some of the men overtly brutalizing her. In many instances, she is shown to disassociate as a means to cope, or acquiesce to their vile whims as to end posthaste the experience. Hell, in this very chapter, she almost submitted to the Kick The Can Association's President had the children she wanted to leave ignorant of her situation not appeared at the door.

Dex-chan lover
@IShallReadTheHeavens Aha! Yes, you did word it terribly, because it made it seem like you thought the concept of job security for a prostitute was a bad thing! XD

I'd argue that the level of job security that she has as a prostitute is actually very high, in the world that she's in now. You say that she cannot afford to displease anyone, yet she could have quite easily quit and married the merchant's son or even that mushroom top hero if she wanted to, or even just served him exclusively; further, she controls who she takes as clientele, not the brothel madam, so she never had to take any of the more brutal johns- and those sort of people have rumors about them, if not stories of their acts, that are shared amongst people in the same business. Such could and would have been refused service easily, if she was really that against it, but hasn't done so because she isn't THAT against those more extreme acts she's been asked and was paid for- though, as you noted, she does rather easily disassociate during the act, so she might have more qualms of such if she couldn't. Certainly she was going to acquiesce to him, but there are many other possible routes that she could have gone, including simply telling him to fuck off, but she puts too much care into what others call her, it feels like, because here it was simply him revealing that she's a prostitute (which somehow isn't already known, since she's well-known at that brothel, and the brothel itself is well-known, so how isn't it already public knowledge?) that caused her to choose to do so. It honestly felt cartoonishly evil, compared to the more down-to-earth issues she's tackled so far.

@unjust
Using "Boomer" and "Mysgonsytic" *cringe. Highly doubt the original narrative had any of those terms, translator seems to want to shove in their cancer feminist values where they can. And if the story is going down the route of strong "waman", i'm also disinterested. The main appeal of the story is an accurate portrayal of the feminine in how they use manipulation, sex appeal, to get what they want, and not being able to overpower men three times their size just because. Dropped and low rated, might re-read when it's translated by a different group and if the story doesn't actually deteriorate into feminist trash.
Translator (ch. 10 and on) here.
She's a modern highschooler and in that particular panel is using net slang. That's why she also says "lol".
The previous translator used the same overall terminology, so how you managed to read through chapters 1-9 without dropping is a mystery to me.
If you care about word usage, you might have noticed that I changed "sex worker" to "prostitute" in my translation, to make it clear they are NOT being euphemistic about her trade at all (娼婦 vs. セックスワーカー). Now that I think about it, seeing "sex worker" in the title should have set off your alarms and prompted you not to read it to begin with.

As for "misogynistic world", I believe it is the best translation for 男尊女卑の世界, since it's said by Haru herself, who has a XXI century woman's worldview and who would use such trending terminology.
I do believe you should drop the series from what you've said, but don't blame it on me, that'd be unjust.

@CimmicaCocoa You're not helping your cause much with that attitude.

@QQXA my only cause was to voice my frustration so I’d say I did pretty good since I don’t feel much against them anymore 🥂

Users who are viewing this thread