JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Part 6: Stone Ocean (Official Colored) - Vol. 17 Ch. 158 - What a wonderful world

It was super good. The ending was the best but still kinda satisfying. Maybe in part 9 Giorno will be able to reverse it all and Josuke will be able bring them all back? I am not sure what will happen next but I am excited. Also, does SBR in a different universe or something? Do they all have the same stands? I guess we will all have to see...

He was saying that fate was on his side, but in the end that same fate gave them all what they wanted in the end leaving him out of the picture.

Double-page supporter
Awesome re-read. Funny that i read SBR(my fav part) first and then went back to this part. Also kinda bizarre that I watched the entirety of part 5 in the middle of part 6's readthru. idk why but its nostalgic how jolyne's last confrontation against pucci somehow reminded me of joseph confronting perfect kars. The parts just get better and better and finally after several years im gonna start a never-experienced before jojo part: jojolion.

VSS

Imagine you are writing the same manga for 10 years. The same universe where all the characters you have created exist.
But then you say "ok I think its time to erase everyones memories, give them new lifes and create new characters"... no. Thats not easy.
Its not easy to just "throw away" the effort one has put to something. Araki IS ended doing this for his own narrative purposes. But, still, thats not easy.
I have been reading manga (lots of lots of manga) for 7 years now, but this is the most bizzarre ending I have witnesed so far.
Araki is, definitely, the most maddest of mad lads.

What a truly roundabout path...
My on condolence is that MAYBE Annakiss and Irene get married. I NEED a side story depicting their love... Thank you Araki. This series truly bizarre. The chapter was called what a wonderful world. But without obtaining our OWN heavens, it can never be that way. Heaven was not what Pucci was after. I believe that heaven is a state of mind where true happiness exists. Maybe this is my heaven? Reading Jojo, I feel like I too have entered the true man's land.

This was my second read of this part, and goddamn, I cannot stress enough how awesome it is.
It's an amazing finale for this universe.

While yeah the second half was better than the first half, but basically all parts are like that.

I give Stone Ocean a 9.5/10
í8Only reason for it not being a 10/10 is because of how many characters there were with really weird, disproportioned faces.)

One of my favorite parts of JoJo, hands down

Part 6 is overall a pretty mixed bag, its easy to hate on the worst of it but it has many good elements to it as well. Its main problems I found were the forgettable minor antagonists, the DIO retcon, Jolyne's abrupt personality change halfway through and the bad pacing.

Minor antagonists

Lets start with that first thing, pt 6 is not the only part that suffers from this (for some reason pt 3 gets a pass from most in this regard) but its still a big problem regardless, there are 15 minor antagonists in this part, Gwess, Johngali A, Thunder Mcqueen, Foo Fighters, Miraschon, Lang Rangler, Sports Maxx, Guccio, Viviano Westwood, Kenzou, D an G, Miu Miu, Ungalo, Rikiel and Donatello. Out of those there are only a few that stand out in any way, foo fighters becomes an ally and best girl and Donatello had an interesting character for the few chapters we saw him even if his backstory was a direct ripoff of the novel "Holes", Others, like Gwess, Johngali A, Sports Maxx and Rikiel could have been great but just feel like missed chances in the end due to a lack of appearances, backstory or just poor pacing. the rest just feel like nothing or are memorable for small insignificant things, Kenzou: how boring his arc was, Miraschon: her beatdown inspired an execution in danganronpa, Thunder McQueen: Kachow, kill me ect.

DIO and Jolyne

i dont think i have to explain much about why Dio was bad here, nothing that he does in Pucci's memories are in line with his character in pt 3 (which takes place at soon after the latest of the flashbacks) it makes no sense. Jolyne on the other hand isn't often talked about, around the solitary confinement arc her personality goes from bubbly and loud mouthed with a violent side to Jotaro level badass (though she does express slightly more emotion then Jotaro from pt3 which is nice) and she doesn't have those fun quirky moments that made her so charming originaly. I think what Araki was going for here was for her to be hardened by her time in prison which would make sense but the change is so sudden that it just falls apart, we see a bit of an in-between stage around the Marilyn Manson arc but its not enough to justify the complete shift in personality.

Opinions of mine

Ive already explained most of what i had to say about the pacing in the Jolyne section so what I'm going to do here is some things I would have liked to see changed but don't really impact the overall quality.1 I prefered Anasui durring his introduction when he looked more effeminate (not when he's first seen mind you but when his stand if first shown and he talks for the first time). 2 Foof did not need to die that early on, best girl you will be missed. 3 I think that "Giorno may already be in florida" cocktease pissed us all off, It would be idiotic and unsatsfying if he just pulled up with GER during the final fight and bodied Pucci himself but come on, give us something! 4 Why do all the extras look so fucking ugly? please change that shit.

Pt 7

I want to say something real quick about pt 7, going in it has a really slow start but picks up steam tremedously after chapter 33 or so, so don't get dispirited because the first 3rd is really boring, it gets so much better

bois it's been a long journey say bye to stone ocean and say hi to the next best thing STEEL BALL RUN! WHIP YOUR HORSES AND LETS GO!

Well that was the ending... my first read through and I can easily say this is my faviroute part, I could feel emotion from the characters I teared up at Weathers death and pretty much cried when jotaro died and all the things they said brought emotion and impact with it I could really connect with the characters. When I watched part 5 I could feel emotion but it wasn't hitting me right the last time I felt something like this was during Battle Tendency, which is my second faviroute part.
But the best thing about this part was definitely the fights and the way they used there stands in smart ways like when in the battle with Darby in Stardust Crusaders where Jotaro played the mind games, and especially during the esidisi fight where Joseph just outsmarted esidisi completely.
But the downsides to this part was how jolynes character shifted so fast, she went from badass all the way to more concerned and loving/caring and I'm personally not a big fan of that I like the badass but funny characters like young Joseph (please bare with me I know I'm referencing Joseph a lot but he's just a perfect character in my opinion.)
We have more negatives but I'm not one to go into EVERY negative I have but one more I'll say is, how forgetful some of the antagonists midway through are, and to me I didnt actually feel like reading when I got half way into the story so I left it for a while then just hearing about JoJo made me excited to read it again therefore I blasted through this part and quite enjoyed it and it became (and probably still will) a nightly read.
Anyway my overall rating of this part is a solid 8.5/10 It was fun.

Users who are viewing this thread