Josou Off-Kai (Pre-Serialization) - Ch. 14.5 - Volume 1: Extras

Dex-chan lover
@xp32 Nowadays, transphobic and homophobic are often used as labels to dehumanize the opponent, as at one time people began to use the word fascist for the same purposes and it became shameful to call someone a fascist. And this shit really annoys me, because LGBTQ folks have fought for their rights for centuries not so that modern children on the Internet devalue these concepts, using them as loopholes in Internet wars.

@Hexxy Nobody forbids trans women from identifying themselves as women (although by using the trans prefix you are already adding a nuance to this), problems start when some trans women try to seduce lesbians or straight men, threatening to accuse them of transphobia if they do not want to see them as attractive a woman just because of their gender identity. Not to mention that arguments like “you love my gender, not me” are quite manipulative and simply devalue someone's sexuality.

Group Leader
@SuperOniichan lol dude I'm not even going to argue with you on this. Like your entire statement is wrong but you're clearly not here to have your mind changed so go away, I'm not going to waste my breath on some guy who thinks transphobia and homophobia aren't real but are "labels to attack opponents".

Pests, I swear

Dex-chan lover
@Hexxy Okay, because you literally proved me right. I literally talked about people who ABUSE accusations of transphobia and homophobia, using them as empty labels, but you grossly perverted that by saying that I DENY the existence of homophobia and transphobia in general. And after that you even try to speak to me in a condescending tone. Aaand I'm not even talking about your motives, because anyone who reads my original post will understand that there was not even a question of any denial. Yep, you just confirmed my words.

But, if you still have a conscience, I hope that you will show me where I really deny the existence of these phenomena. After all, you don't use slander in order not to answer the theses that are uncomfortable for you, right?

Group Leader
@SuperOniichan Okay, fine, I'll humour you.

You said the following:
- "Nobody forbids trans women from identifying themselves as women (although by using the trans prefix you are already adding a nuance to this), problems start when some trans women try to seduce lesbians or straight men, threatening to accuse them of transphobia if they do not want to see them as attractive a woman just because of their gender identity. Not to mention that arguments like “you love my gender, not me” are quite manipulative and simply devalue someone's sexuality."

I don't know about you, but trans women don't generally go around trying to seduce people who dislike them. In fact, most trans people I know almost exclusively date other trans people, so this problem seems to be highly exaggerated to demonise trans people, women in particular.

For another thing, you say this as if trans women liking cis lesbians or straight guys is inherently problematic because you don't believe they're "really" women. Which is, again, wrong. Trans women are women, no debate. It is perfectly fine for lesbians of any kind or straight men to be interested in them.

What we're accusing people of transphobia for isn't because they won't fuck trans women, it's when trans women are denied BECAUSE they're trans. Cis people who want to date another cis person don't cry foul when they get rejected and if a trans woman wants to be with a cis lesbian or straight guy and gets rejected, that is not automatic transphobia.

Everyone has a right to date or not date who they want to. Nobody is calling people who reject trans women transphobes if they reply "sorry, I don't feel the same way about you" or "Sorry, I already like someone else" or whatever. The problem comes when trans women are denied their womanhood. We only ever call people transphobic if their immediate response is "I refuse to date a trans person".

In this scenario, an entire group of people is being denied solely on the basis of who they are as a collective marginalised identity. It's no better than those people on Tinder or Grindr who have in their profiles "No black, no Jewish, no [insert minority group here]".

Those kinds of statements aren't just a "preference", it's full on prejudice or phobia. It's stating that an immutable part of a person's entire being is more important to you than their actual personality, so even if it was preference, at best it just makes you look shallow.

Saying "you like my gender, not me?" is not someone trying to be manipulative. It's already established she liked or likes him - she's simply trying to make sense of it in her head since she thought she was only into women. The thing this character is ACTUALLY saying is "maybe you can give it a try, and we can see how you feel about it?" It's not uncommon for people to be in a relationship without actually liking or knowing much about the other at first, this isn't any different from meeting someone you only talked to on OkCupid for a few dates to see if you're into them. That's the entire point of dating at first, in fact.

Dex-chan lover
@Hexxy You again continue to grossly distort my words and ascribe non-existent statements to me, probably to avoid again discussing the essence of my actual statements. And despite the wall of text, you still haven't pointed out where I deny transphobia and homophobia as a phenomenon, and not just criticize their abuse as an empty label.

This phrase has already become literally a cliche precisely because of that part of the trans community that is trying to manipulate their gender identity in dealing with people. More often than not, I only hear an attempt to force bisexuals to sleep with men or women, accusing them of being either perverse straight or gay who deny their homosexuality. You are right, people have the right to study their feelings and attractions if for some reason they feel the need to do so. But I am completely against that at this moment they were subjected to pressure or demands to please the wishes of their potential partners.

I generally dislike the "gender doesn't matter in love" trope, it feels reductive regarding complex feelings in a very multiply by 0 to get rid of a messy equation way. I'm friends with several people that transitioned and after a few days of having my view of their gender adjust in my brain it didn't change my opinion of them as a person or how much I cared about them, but messed with love-relationship related feelings despite that. There are more than a few examples of marriages dissolving after a transition because the spouse loses romantic interest despite still loving their partner. Even in the context of this series, when Lemon had his reveal it took a couple hours to sink in but when it did I lost basically any romantic oriented feelings for the character even though I still think he's really cool.

It seems to at least be avoiding most of that trope atm by having KantenTarou take a "Let's see if this works out" attitude and giving them agency in the decision so I'm hopeful.

I don't know how much transitioning really affects orientation, it's usually an intensely introspective experience for trans people so I can see why there would be an association, but everyone can question at any point in their lives and end up realizing they were something different than they thought. For reference I was a disaster Bi as a teen, a disaster Bi at the start of my transition and remain a disaster Bi to this day so it didn't change my orientation at all for me.

Dex-chan lover
@Hexxy idk why u even bothered arguing, they have yosuga no sora as their pfp..lol..clearly not someone you can reliably reason with

Users who are viewing this thread