Jujutsu Kaisen - Ch. 236 - Heading South

Dex-chan lover
I mean, I doubt Gojo is actually dead. He told Toji that the only reason he didn't win was because Toji didn't cut off his head so... Even then there are still so many ways he could come back.
The reason Gojo said that "you should've cut my head off" to Toji was because unlike Cursed Energy, Reversal cursed energy is created in the brain, while Reversal Cursed Energy can heal most things, it cannot bring the dead back. Especially, considering that Gojo was split in half which is a very different scenario compared to getting stabbed in various body parts like Toji did. Also, it was already mentioned that his healing has become very slow because reversal cursed energy has highly plummeted, I highly doubt he is going to get revived by any means.

Also, I believe it would really go against the story to bring back the dead back, the manga really captures that deaths aren't some glorified and romanticized ending, death is just part of the life and it can come to all and it will at any moment, Neither the mighty Honoured one, Satoru Gojo can escape the shackles of his death. While Satoru's death might not be the very satisfying one, it was very much in the nature of the manga which we are reading. By the way, I, myself, don't like his death infact I kind of started crying, I was in a somber mood for straight two days because of his death.

Dex-chan lover
What? xd Gojo was blocking other characters development, its sad, but good that he died. Can't wait for next chapter.
But last chapter literally ended with Gojo won then this chapter starts with him already dead. And they’re all saying Sukuna was holding back the whole time but the way it was narrated was he couldn’t keep up. I agree Gojo was way too strong but a way better solution would be to have Sukuna takeover Gojo’s body. All problems solved and the villain becomes insanely powerful.

Dex-chan lover
ngl if gege keeps gojo dead after writing it like this, this'll be a really really bad step for the manga, especially considering this is such a major fight to dismiss his death. I'll give him a couple of chapters but if this really is his climax for gojo its a cheap way to deliver things since there are so many unanswered questions. Have a few reservations as well about my crackpot copium theories:

Gojo's ego during the "afterlife" is a big assassination of his central beliefs throughout the manga. He goes from wanting to be a cocky dude who is the modern-day strongest and wanting to change the jujutsu world from the higher-ups to glazing sukuna when he loses. A key point here though is that he changes his attitude again when confronted when Nanami. In comparison, geto consoles gojo which makes gojo concede his ego, very different from gojo's attitude prior. After listening to nanami gojo understands that he's not actively trying to reject his defeat and is instead giving up, the panel of him looking with determination and him saying "I see" feels like a realization rather than a concession. This leads to believe that he'll come back, (why is there so much emphasis/care about this conversation if Gojo's gonna die anyway, it just creates more unanswered questions?)

I think this is gojo's push to actually take the north and awaken himself. When he fought toji he awakened his pure, total jujutsu potential, but he has not awakened his physical potential of his mind, which multiple characters have done like yuta, accepting his role with rika and learning to make connections/friends, hakari, who always takes life as a gamble, maki rejecting the zenin standards, etc. Which aligns with the core theme of JJK. Also, while toji refined his jujutsu abilities, he's never had a rival in the jujutsu world, so this shatters his mental and requires him to retreat back to his teenage years to find inspiration to beat sukuna.

yeah or gege just kills him off which is pretty wild lmfao. Can't wait for hakari to pop domain only for sukuna to cleave his head off.
Really hope kashimo has some great moments considering how hyped his domain and cursed technique have been teased, hopefully a madara vs. might guy situation for him since his entrance was really dope

Hard disagree.

v3

Aggregator gang
What? xd Gojo was blocking other characters development, its sad, but good that he died. Can't wait for next chapter.
Both Gojo and Sukuna needed to die for that though. Now there's no one even close to Sukuna's level, especially now that he can cut anything without any counter (if even the Six Eyes couldn't see/detect the attack - no one can)

Dex-chan lover
I have faith that Gojo's pulling a very risky move and survives. If not, I WILL RIOT

Fed-Kun's army
…that’s it? Gege spent 300 pages, longer than some entire manga, on the lead up to and entirety of a fight that was foreshadowed from the first volume and we don’t even get to see the actual ending?

Gojo’s death is necessary to place the onus of action on the primary protagonists. Hopefully it will also help limit the amount of exposition necessary since his abilities were so high concept. But this is historically bad, like Jujutsu Kaiser‘s new ceiling is an 8 out of 10 manga bad. Considering how long shonen manga take to build up this is a once in a generation fuckup. Sorry, Gen Z.

Dex-chan lover
After 12 chapters of GOATED fight, how can it fcking end off screen

Aggregator gang
I mean, I doubt Gojo is actually dead. He told Toji that the only reason he didn't win was because Toji didn't cut off his head so... Even then there are still so many ways he could come back.
The stomach is the reservoir of cursed energy, the brain is the RCT transformator. Any of the 2 damaged beyond repair will result in death. You can patch a hole in a reservoir, but slice in half is out of question.

Aggregator gang
But last chapter literally ended with Gojo won then this chapter starts with him already dead. And they’re all saying Sukuna was holding back the whole time but the way it was narrated was he couldn’t keep up. I agree Gojo was way too strong but a way better solution would be to have Sukuna takeover Gojo’s body. All problems solved and the villain becomes insanely powerful.
No, we know this already even in the previous chapters, narrated by Kusakabe. In his defense, Sukuna has to reserve as much energy as possible because he has to face us as well, while Gojo has nothing to hold back.

Aggregator gang
Both Gojo and Sukuna needed to die for that though. Now there's no one even close to Sukuna's level, especially now that he can cut anything without any counter (if even the Six Eyes couldn't see/detect the attack - no one can)
Angel is their best weapon right now, assuming they are ready to sacrifice Megumi in the process and defending her along the way

Dex-chan lover
I think I've gotten more enjoyment from people's reaction to this chapter than from the whole series.

Dex-chan lover
While I don't want him to die, him being dead is a good development too.
They way Gege handled it is just a massive disappointment.
There was no foreshadowing or anything, he's just suddenly dead, it feels like Gege does this just for the shock factor.
It's just weird considering he killed off Nanami, another great character, just fine. We saw him being weathered down before being finished off.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I figured Gojo was going to lose but that felt like such a cheap fake out and it looks like we won’t even see what actually happened unless they recap it next chapter before the next fight happens.

Double-page supporter
I mean its ok and i like the whole heaven sequence, but gojo did get bodied a bit too quickly here. Like the dude has been nailing sukuna for the last few chapters. At least make it so he heavily crippled the guy.

I mean where do we go from here now? Sukuna is just wayy to OP to deal with without a major ass pull. I'm not sure i'll find any victory on the guy believable by value of sukuna being that op.

Personally i would have gone for the double kill route. Gojo bodies sukuna, sukuna bodies gojo. Both die. Then the remaining cast can deal with kenjaku who is much more managable while remaining threatening.

Gojo was doomed to lose this from the start. There were too many loose threads with other characters needing to fight Sukuna. Kashimo's gonna use his masterpiece technique on Sukuna and lose, then Yuta's gonna try and fight him and either die or be left on the brink of death. Shoko's then gonna tell Yuji the secret about his dad that Gojo mentions in his post death scene, Yuji'll fight Sukuna after he's gotten worn down by 3 other top tier fighters, reclaim him inside his own body and save Megumi. (bonus points for Nobara showing up for the assist at the last minute in the same week that her eye gets blown out in the anime)

Users who are viewing this thread