June 2018: Official MangaDex Art!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Zephyrus
I'm thinking of making each piece an optional entry. If someone wants to submit all 3 pieces, great. If not, we'll select winners from each category: mascot, logo, and site banner.
imo that's definitely the way to go, I see no reason to force people to try doing 3 pieces. Since those are pretty different kinds of artwork and there's also a time limit, sounds way too difficult for someone to do the 3 great jobs, let alone the 3 best.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
I have officially modified the contest. Users can now choose to focus their energies on one item if they so choose.

As noted in the edited OP, please keep in mind that we'd prefer entries that have all 3 items. The tentative new prize plan is that only entries with all three items will be eligible for @Lymus 's donation. I will break up my own donation into smaller prizes for the winners of the individual item entries, if any.

Contributor
1:1 seems an odd aspect ratio for the logo. If it's going into the same space where "MangaDex" currently is in the nav bar then it would be going into a DIV thats currently 117 x 50.

I assume it's because it'll also be the page icon, like what you see when using multiple tabs.

VIP
Got a few questions I hope you don't mind answering!!

For the mascot did you want a full designed mascot/ full body design? Assuming it'd be cropped for an avatar for it or are we allowed to design the mascot and make a separate avatar as well?
And also are we allowed to submit multiple entries sets with small variations (something like color scheme changes) or even completely different designs? (1 set entry per person or can we submit variations/multiple)

Thank you!! ?

Double-page supporter
The mascot, which will replace the current default avatar of Index
Nuuu.... I've been having too much fun with this avatar.
WINDEX_3.gif
WINDEX4.gif
Tentacle all-the-way-through was next.

Staff
Super Moderator
@Archomp
While I appreciate your artistic talents, please make sure to keep your avatars from being explicitly NSFW. The ones I've seen so far are borderline, which is perfectly fine for now.

@caprisun
We have absolutely no creative boundaries! Do whatever makes you happy. It's most likely, yes, that we'd crop a full body mascot to an avatar, but we'll certainly find a way to feature the mascot if the winning entry is a full body shot.

If you'd like to go through the trouble, please do make different variations on color and style! The more, the merrier.

Double-page supporter
@Zephyrus Because I did make it intentionally borderline for just-a-prank-bruh lol.
Welp, if I actually submit one, I'd prolly take it seriously. That is IF I decide to submit one.

I present to you my idea for the new mascot(s): Mango and Dex!
f8dewSk.png
Mango is the orange snake and Dex is the white snake.

The site, as it is now, is very simple which i really like. I tried to create something simple and professional. The images were done rather quickly and this was perfect for procrastinating my exams. ?
The color scheme reminds me of some other site and I can't for my life figure out from where but hopefully it's something original. (Except the reddit-looking snake)

Below are the three (plus one) images requested:
Mascot:
tQ8CIPM.png

Logo:
nRe0Ss0.png

Logo outlined (for brighter backgrounds):
OXR38KS.png

Banner:
eTo9R1G.png

Everything was created in Illustrator so there I have the vector formats all these images.

Here are some images that show some of the process:
https://i.imgur.com/N9lDLeS.png
https://i.imgur.com/NgiByHH.png

@Zephyrus

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Legatius how did you decide on snakes?

also I may or may not be impartial to the idea of a snek girl mascot
5e998e2e79.png

@Plykiya I wanted to create something playful and thought of animals, so I searched around for some animals with recognizable characteristics. Stumbled on snakes and tried to draw some icons on paper. I still kinda suck at drawing so the snakes alone might not leave the impression that this is a manga site.

Staff
Super Moderator
@legatius
I'm a personal believer in simple and clean design. This is a very fun entry and I'm glad it was the first! This isn't in the official rules, but you're welcome to play around with variations on your current entry or if you have a better idea later, you can request that your current entry be replaced.

Great job!

Staff
Super Moderator
I'm really liking @legatius' approach tho' I'd prefer it had a bit more of a weeb feel into it, ya kno'? To not deviate much from our previous mascot saint Index~
Also, Dex = Nadeko and I won't change my mind about it.
sengoku_nadeko_monogatari_series_gorgon-BmMA.jpg

@zephyrus How about entrants post a new thread in this subforum?
For non-artists such as me, I'd enjoy separate threads for easier viewing and commenting each entry such as @legatius. ?
In case there are future contests, you could have each entry thread contain prefix (for example [2018 Art Contest] ).

This would also let people use this main thread for asking questions.

Looking forwards to seeing all the entries! Thanks for the contest!

Power Uploader
Hey @Zephyrus, are contestants limited to one entry per category?

I have several ideas for a logo, but I'm not sure if entering them all breaks any rules.

Staff
Super Moderator
@Noms
That's actually a pretty great idea. Dunno why I didn't think of it.

Here you are.

@legatius
If you would, please move your entry to the above thread.

@m3ch_mania
Yes, multiple submissions are fine. I'll note it in the rules.

Power Uploader
Because I came here from the index... I didn't see the entry thread... don't mind me... post there as well

@legatius I like yours. Very much so the banner, it's super cute.
Though maybe a set of anamorphic snake twins with white and orange hair... Because... snek girls.
Lastly... +1 for mangos.

9lYVyRw.png

Though the white doesn't look that great on the light theme... but who cares... they deserve it for using the light theme
L0z1VC1.png

@Archomp keep up the good work...

Anyway... someone had to do it and I lack graphical talent(seems like a good fit)... Of course using a alternative free font to prevent legal trouble for such a legal-based site's logo :p (SansSerifBldFLF). I'm not a fan of how the first "a" just fuses into the "n" so it's not 100% the same style :p

RBoQrIV.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread