Kage no Eiyuu no Nichijou-tan - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

Fed-Kun's army
“As you are well aware, your name is Blah Blah and you are blah years old and your job is to blah blah…”

I'd honestly prefer a long info dump text box to dialogue like this.

(Just wanted to pile on the shitty exposition.)

Dex-chan lover
Feels like a serious version of Kage No Jitsuryokusha without a harem...yet or none

Dex-chan lover
@Sceleris Agree that is narator job the square box job. This kind of dialog if executed poorly (like what happen here) is too out of place and kinda waste of pace.

like how she explain the organization "Organization blah blah for blah bla".
I was wondering who are this girl talking too? he has been working with you for 10 years and now you recite the company profile just to lay off your employee?

Fed-Kun's army
@shyevsa A probably better alternative to text heavy boxes could be to have the guy be ignorant. Like, he already has no feelings about his situation, just let him be unaware as well, then the info dump would be justified. Something like “Good work.” “Thank you. What's the next mission?” “There is no next mission. This was it. Didn't anyone ever tell you?” “Not really. I was just trained for battle.” “Not even about where the demon lord comes from?” “No.” “Well, for the past thirty years (blah blah), and our whole organization was founded to (blah blah). And you defeated that same demon lord.” “So what you're telling me is that I'm out of a job?”

Although most of the information is unnecessary, certainly at this point, so they could've instead trimmed the information down and woven it with characterization into dialogue to let us readers piece together the situation… buuuut that would kind of require character traits beyond “apathy”.

On the other hand, to be fair, I don't believe that this kind of “better writing” is necessarily absolute across all time and every culture. I'm not Japanese, who am I to say whether “as you know I am your father” writing works for them.

I like the humor thus far but regarding the exposition dump, I think a better way to have handled this would have been to start with him already enrolled in the academy. Then the students could have gossiped about the death of the demon lord and obviously credited the hero, but just have him internally monologue/flashback on what really happened and why he's there now. The politics involving the hero and their country, ect. could have been handled by a teacher in a history class or some shit.

Most fantasy manga will spoon-feed you info to get the protagonist power-up number eight and harem member number six, so I'm not disappointed, but there are certainly more elegant ways of avoiding the narrative conceit of two people lecturing the other on information they both know.

Dex-chan lover
@Sceleris
I'm not Japanese, who am I to say whether “as you know I am your father” writing works for them.

I don't know Japanese, but to my understanding that'd be"Know your father I"

But translation services do not agree. So I guess I'm wrong.

It might be the translation services are wrong as well though.
They do suggest both:
Gozonji no yō ni, watashi wa anata no chichioyadesu
and
Anata ga shitte iru yō ni, watashi wa anata no chichioyadesu
as options for the sentence “as you know I am your father” (and translate both back to the same sentence).

But beyond having different suggestions for as you know, my understanding is that watashi only works as self-reference (I) if the speaker is either a female (which might not apply to the father) - or the speaker is male but has no particular relation to the listener at all (something that technically should be even harder for the father).

Fed-Kun's army
@Simpleton In case you're serious, I wrote “‘as you know I am your father’ writing”, not “writing ‘as you know I am your father’”. In other words, I was talking about whether or not the kind of literary style of exposition-through-dialogue where characters state known facts for the sake of the reader works (i.e. is not distracting and fake-seeming) for Japanese readers. It IS distracting and fake-seeming for many, if not most, of us here, but I'm not qualified to completely condemn the style of a Japanese author writing for Japanese readers.

But “知っての通り俺はお前の父だ。” is maybe how I would render the phrase – depending on their relationship, of course.

Dex-chan lover
@Sceleris My earlier comment started out as a serious attempt to draw some kind of connection between the ambiguity of the Japanese language and a propensity for endless exposition type of storytelling, as in trying to agree with and add additional force to the reasoning that it was something they'd enjoy or at least appreciate (since it'd presumably add clarity, something which is then repeated by the translator when rephrasing the story for us). But it ended up being mostly a joke post and maybe I shouldn't have kept at dragging you into it.

But thank you for taking me as seriously as possible. :)

Also, your suggested rendering seems to be word-hippoed into "Shittenotōri ore wa omae no chichida" which is interesting in it's complete differences to the google and hippo ones. XD
(But it might be because it is suggested to mean "As you know I'm you father", so no "your" there according to the translation service, but in every other way your sentence seems superior so I have no real reason to doubt that bit.)

Their Organization reminded me of what job Karma Akabane took on. He said that the Politician's was completely useless on an earthquake and the Bureaucrat was the one able to solve it behind the scenes

i guess the author played terraria prior in making this manga.........any volunteers in making this mod?

How should you live? Bro slow life and meet obnoxious people along the way, then they belittle your power. Show them what your capable of BUT don't let them know that you are that strong. They will start to question "Wait a minute, WHO ARE YOU?"

Damn the kingdom terraria? So we gon fight the moon lord next or what?

This is kinda dumb... every 10 years? That’s so short wouldn’t the previous hero be still alive and in his prime still?
It kinda ruined the rest of the chapter for me, couldn’t read it properly.

Users who are viewing this thread