Kaguya-den - Vol. 1 Ch. 2 - The Black Barracks

Group Leader
Thank you for racking your brains with all this history stuff for us. I'm so happy to have more Saitou ikemen in my life.

Group Leader
The history is genuinely interesting, but the downside of not doing a Japanese degree is that I don't have a grounding in this stuff, and lots of it is buried in Japanese-only websites (not even Wikipedia has everything). While I have a bunch of Japanese history books on the shelf, most of them are from the Tokugawas onwards - I've picked up a copy of the Pillow Book and The World of the Shining Prince for a bit of reference in case they're helpful.

Getting the balance right between localisation and just copping out and Romanising a bunch of words with TL notes takes a bit of thought. I wonder whether, when the story takes a turn for the supernatural, it will get even more complicated...

Everyone is pretty in Saitou world. I have a soft spot for the Chief of the Takaguchi (a beard! In josei manga!), and am amused that even Chiten no Kimi, with his pointy ears and birthmark/scar/whatever it is designed to code him as Evil, is still devastatingly handsome. I suppose maybe the comic relief characters like Hanemaru are more obviously "odd-looking", though. I've been reading Yuu Watase's Ayashi no Ceres recently (which I probably should have read 20 years ago when I might have thought it more romantic, rather than unpleasant in the wrong kinds of ways), partly because of its links to the storyline of Kaguyaden, and nothing can compare to the incongruity of having all these impossibly beautiful men/women alongside the character of Mrs Q...

Users who are viewing this thread