Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen - Vol. 20 Ch. 201 - Tsubame-senpai Wants To Overwrite

Glad to see that every chapter of this manga will now have several different translations

Hahaha now we wait for the mass update of chapter 201. Thabks for translating

@Mashimiyu, @Jojeke, @BobPotato and others:

As this version's typesetter & proof-reader, I had do something about the atrocious version I came upon.

The original phrasing was poor. Without any copies of 201 posted, I hoped to pop this in as swiftly as possible. But it appeared to be rejected. So, I just let it go and figured it won't show up.

I've enjoyed doing some private re-lettering in the past. (I've got quite a selection of fonts.) Please understand, this wasn't a way to hop on the 201 Tsunami. *grins*

EDIT: I have a theory as to what's going to happen. I'm sure Akasaka-sensei is not going to follow my idea. However, though this is mere guesswork, I'm going to tag it as a spoiler. Please do not click the Spoiler button unless you've donned your Spoiler Helmet, Spoiler-proof vest, and Spoiler-gas mask.

I picture the next chapter in roughly these terms.

Somewhere within the chapter, it may not be at the beginning—knowing Akasaka-sensei (writer), he'll mess with us a bit—but I suspect that Ootomo (I used the spelling found on page 20 of chapter 88. Others use Otomo, but it looks weird to me.) will be standing on one side of the hall way, while Ishigami will stand on the other side finally facing her. She will, essentially offer an apology for her behaviour, likely a tearful one. The question I cannot correctly predict is how Ishigami will respond. I'll probably get a lot of hating for the next thing I say, but I do hope Ootomo & Ishigami reconcile in each other's arms. My view is that Ishigami's own pride, pain and love for Ootomo are so mixed up that it may take a bit before he accepts her. Likely his disappointment that she so quickly abandoned him will play a role.

However, a second viable scenario that I see as a whopping possibility: Ootomo and Ishigami reconcile, but without any further developed relationship. Tsubame will have made it clear to Ishigami that she's not really his love, but that she firmly believes she's a mere copy of Ootomo, that Ootomo is truly Ishigami's first love. From that point she veers out of the story. Ishigami accepts, with some pain, her rejection, likewise rejects Ootomo on the basis of her shallowness, and returns to the council room. And then we have the "ship" so many have been waiting for: Iino is there to console Ishigami as he sits playing some game. Then, seeing that Ootomo was soundly rejected, and that Tsubame has gently let Ishigami down, she'll spill on how she feels. Ishigami may not "jump" at the Iino offer, but keeps it as a consideration.

Yeah, those are all probably going to fail. But I look forward to the next chapter in two weeks. 😄

@Jojeke -- THANK YOU!! This is the font used in Quintessential Quintuplets, and it was such a beautiful type set that I simply HAD to get my hands on this font! So your comment made me squeal with joy!! Someone get Jojeke a pizza!!

Dex-chan lover
A pleasant read. While I don't know the original Japanese, the localizations seems appropriate given the other translations. Certainly some liberties (or perhaps appropriate carryover?) with the typesetting (bolding and italicizing some words for emphasis; were these words emphasized in the raw?), but like with a new production of a play, there's definitely room for these kind of interpretations if it's the former.

Thanks for the chapter!

@Candymon
I have only rarely seen bold italics in Manga. And that's usually in official releases.
Likely, any emphasis in Japanese text might not carry well into English.
Technically, I could have just put plain text in all dialogue boxes, along with plain italics in the exposition boxes.
But having followed these characters, I opted to go a little wild:
I gave Kaguya a refined text (no contractions) and Momo was guilty of the greatest number of contractions. Once the page was completed, it ran as an animé in my mind with the English voice actors. I heard their gentle nudges concerning certain words and tried enhancing with bold italics, making sure this was never over-used.
Lastly, I figured there would be a glut of 201s flooding the channel as happened with 200. If mine was despised, I would have taken it down.
And there you have it.

Dex-chan lover
@Fujiwara_no_Sai Yeah, I figured you decided to have a little fun with it, given we're not sure how many translations will appear and the emphasis made it more interesting. Thanks for the effort!

Users who are viewing this thread