Kaika Apartment - Vol. 1 Ch. 3 - Who Are You?

Double-page supporter
Apologies for the delay, folks. The rest of the volume should be coming along fairly quickly, so you can look forward to that.
  • For those who would like more information about the Japanese traditional mourning wear discussed in my notes, please refer to my ever-more-detailed notes at the end of the Ameishi oneshot The Red Shoes.
  • Ameishi recently made another oneshot for the Harta magazine that Kaika Apartment runs in, which I took the time to do as well—part of the reason behind the delay in getting this chapter out. You can find it here.

Aggregator gang
Golly, I love this manga so much. Totally enthralled. Thank you for the translation. And, no worries, on the delay. Your notes and superb work are worth the wait!

Dex-chan lover
really love how this manga explores the trope of an enchanting yet poisonous seductress

a small part of the tale is based on a slightly unusual voice and a tragic mistake, but most of it comes from collective delusions of writers and artists. the MC and the kid even notice that the voice has a strong impact a first, but that quickly fades.

the idea of a woman being a beautiful, poisonous flower is just a meme that resonated in a male-dominated society

Group Leader
I'm loving the way this manga is using ancillary visuals like the vines and stems etc to make a point - that double page spread with the manuscript paper as well was gorgeous.

Also thanks to the tl group, absolutely adore how you set out the TN page and the way you worded the credits this time around!

Fed-Kun's army
Now I wanna know how he survived till aduthood if he was allergic to fish (and in Japan too, where fish is eaten all the time!)

Dex-chan lover
Now I wanna know how he survived till aduthood if he was allergic to fish (and in Japan too, where fish is eaten all the time!)

This is a modern misconception. Japanese people ate very little fish in the era depicted in this story. The people who ate fish the most were day laborers in the port cities and wealthy people. Sushi, for example, was a blue-collar food in the Edo era and only found favor with the middle classes during the late-Taisho to early-Showa era, exactly the time period covered in his manga. In fact, most Japanese ate very little meat of any kind, with chicken and quail being the most common available. The dominant source of protein were tofu and eggs. This was the reason behind the government campaign to popularize eating beef and pork during this era.

Fed-Kun's army
This is a modern misconception. Japanese people ate very little fish in the era depicted in this story. The people who ate fish the most were day laborers in the port cities and wealthy people. Sushi, for example, was a blue-collar food in the Edo era and only found favor with the middle classes during the late-Taisho to early-Showa era, exactly the time period covered in his manga. In fact, most Japanese ate very little meat of any kind, with chicken and quail being the most common available. The dominant source of protein were tofu and eggs. This was the reason behind the government campaign to popularize eating beef and pork during this era.

Ooh that's interesting! Thanks for the info ♥️

Users who are viewing this thread