Kakunaru Ue wa - Ch. 23 - Awards Ceremony

Dex-chan lover
Screenshot-2024-04-22-06-48-26-59-551f7f0ca926862b368845ce7ee433aa.jpg

meirl

Dex-chan lover
Oh no, the usual "I have to be worthy of her by doing things" trope
Quite possibly my least favorite trope these romance stories have because even when it does make sense or is realistic, it's such an arbitrary and esoteric thing that it's impossible not to see through it to a meta perspective of like "oh okay the author is just telling us to fucking sit on it until they feel like it." Which is of course how all fictional stories work, but I hate being directly given that as a reason. It's so fucking frustrating. There are so many other ways to convey a character overcoming their insecurities without attaching a big, blinking neon stop sign to it.

I like this manga and I'm not going to drop it or anything, but fffffffffffffffuck is that just such a maddeningly lame ass reason.

Dex-chan lover
It's cute how happy she is for him.

What do you mean "no style"? He's got way more style than some by-the-numbers suit.

You really don't have to speak loud at all in a microphone. Well, depending on how it's balanced.

So they went from, "I wonder if there will be one," to, "There will be one." Same logic as people arguing online, I suppose.

Suddenly, all of his friends appeared.

I don't think she needs an excuse to be there, but she's no less than half as socially awkward as he is, so it makes sense for her to be awkward about it.

Introducing herself as his girlfriend. Well, almost.

He's more honest. And he gets it.

Again, there's absolutely nothing wrong with his shirt.

It's not a fake relationship if it's based on interests. The only supposedly fake part is their romantic relationship, and that's not entirely fake anyway. Not that he'd know.

Oh no, the usual "I have to be worthy of her by doing things" trope
Yeah. All he has to do is to convince her he's worthy, since her opinion is the only one that matters regarding whether he's worthy of her. And that's already a done deal.

"oh okay the author is just telling us to fucking sit on it until they feel like it."
Pretty much. It's an arbitrary goal for the character to reach, and quite often not a reachable one to begin with. And it very rarely has to do with the actual character's feelings.

Dex-chan lover
Pretty much. It's an arbitrary goal for the character to reach, and quite often not a reachable one to begin with.
Exactly. The end goal of "I have to be a man worthy of them!" is always "but you already are, you just didn't realize it!" We just have to sit and wait until he's allowed to understand that and then we can move on to the rest of the story.

Dex-chan lover
And then the dude proceed to propose her when his manga got an anime adaptation.

Dex-chan lover
Can't wait for the big confession scene, when he realize they were both madly in love with each other since the beggining !

Users who are viewing this thread