Kamitachi ni Hirowareta Otoko - Vol. 2 Ch. 5 - The First City

Aggregator gang
https://mangadex.org/data/fa77f6c4dfca27999922b35ce33af576/x2.jpg

"Woah" is not a word. However, "whoa" is a word. The letter 'h' is the second letter, not the last.

I can't understand how people keep messing this up. Just turning on a spell-checker would prevent this. Even a simple web browser spell-checker. For instance, I'm using Chrome and its spell-checker easily catches the mistake.

I'm not singling this group out, since I see many people mess this up. But really, it's so easy to avoid this error.

https://www.slate.com/articles/life/the_good_word/2013/12/whoa_or_woah_correct_spelling_and_variants_of_the_increasingly_popular_word.html

Edit: Reduced the abrasiveness of my comment. Sorry. I was bothered because of how often I see the mistake, and it's like every manga group copies the incorrect "woah" so it's become a pet peeve of mine.

@Sola When you look at it from an english speakers point then what you say is true, however for Japanese it’s different. In japan うお(uo), ヲあ(woa), and うおあ(uoa) are used to express surprise/intrigue in the same way as whoa, wow, and the like. Going from Japanese to english without losing the same effect for some translators means keeping the small details in pronunciation the same, which can be difficult due to English having multiple pronunciations and uses for words like wanting to read vs having read or pencil lead vs having lead someone. Woah kind of meets a middle ground where the spelling matches the way it would be pronounced in Japanese, the ah sound at the end helps with pronunciation for those who might be unsure, and if you don’t know otherwise it just reads the same as whoa. Japanese do have a similar sound used like you would whoa and that’s うお(uo or wo), but that’s more...... surprised I guess instead of intrigued. The subtleties in Japanese can be endless and unbelievably annoying which is why words like sensei, senpai, kouhai, and the like are kept, even the difference between nii, ani, aniki, and onii-chan.

Dex-chan lover
This MC is just another Gary Stu. ?
Is it normal nowadays to see pickpockets steal from kids and bulky men try to beat up children? Oo

btw. I don't see the troll chapter on kissmanga anymore :/ Could someone link it pls? I want to have a laugh. :>

Dex-chan lover
Technically the people aint wrong that the guy had a rough life before they met him
You know in another world thou but hey!

Dex-chan lover
@Sola according to Way with Words, either spelling is correct, woah is more commonly used in the UK, while whoa is more commonly used in the US, but the spelling tends to vary with the speaker, so who knows. Grammarly apparently asserts the same thing as you though, saying that whoa is the correct one, used to denote pause. The way language works though, the more a word is used, the more correct it is.

Group Leader
It's always fun seeing the MC's backstory evolve in other character's minds as they misinterpret it, with himself being none the wiser.

It looks like he would be popular among the figure-collecting otaku crowd.

I'm really loving comfy series' like this. I feel immediately healed after a stressful day.

Dex-chan lover
This is all cute and wholesome but if this other world is as realistic as ours then a selfish company will find a way to exploit workers and slimes to monopolize the raincoat industry.

Users who are viewing this thread