Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san - Vol. 14 Ch. 114 - Detour (Part 1)

Double-page supporter
Nishikata, get your head out of your skinny little butt and notice that you've ALREADY FALLEN IN LOVE!

Nishikata: [looking at Takagi]

Tagaki: "It's so pretty, isn't it?"

Nishikata: "...yeah."

He's in looooove!~

Used that code back in highschool with flip phones and limited typing, 143 was faster and easier on the phone bill

Group Leader
LOL i was trying so hard to figure out how 143 made "I love you" in Japanese until that TL note

Dex-chan lover
Nishikata getting dunked on by the fates now, kid can't catch a break. Bless Takagi though, she almost thought her confession was finally about to arrive.

TSP

Group Leader
@tsuu

Actually, we just searched ways to say "I love you" in three numbers in English.
We didn't know about it until working on this chapter.

Group Leader
@TSP
I think you've should just keep it 415 and leave explanation in credits page.

Atleast it'd be educational and faithful to original.

Changing original idea is basically what 4kids did to one piece.

Plus there's no way that there's only 143 steps. They climbed to a mountain, not to a mall's last floor lmao.

TSP

Group Leader
To recap what we explained lower down in the comments:

- The originally is extremely forced and only uses that number of stairs because it's the only number pairing that does what the author needs it to do.

- If the characters had been wheezing and panting, yes, we would have not done this change, however, there was zero emphasis on it at all.

- Thus, we concluded that the actual number was not important and that the author only chose it to brute-force his meaning. Therefore, the most important thing in this text was the meaning.

- However, we included the original anyway in a TL note so that people who prefer things that way so can enjoy that as well. For any changes such as what we did in this chapter, (see: the beach swimming chapter), we always add a note so that people can enjoy both a smooth reading experience that matches how a native speaker would experience it, and people who care about the exact original can see and know that as well.

- This number, unlike the localizations of 4Kids, is not changing the culture of the original. For cultural items, we always remain faithful (see: Acchi-Muite-Hoi chapter). This number has absolutely nothing to do with Japanese culture and was made up by the author for a specific purpose.

- Either way, we cannot please everyone. (also: Acchi-Muite-Hoi, not all of the complaints are on MDex, but we got quite a few complaints for leaving it as-is). All we can do is weigh each option carefully and do what we can to select we think will not detract from the flow of the reading experience.

Dex-chan lover
Dude, just translate it normally. It's obvious there's a language thing, whoever actually cares will look it up. What you guys did made just as little sense to me.

@TSP

You did a fine translating job. Don't listen to naysayers, they have no idea what they're talking about. If they want to have any translation as "pure" as possible, then they just have to learn japanese and buy the originals. Problem solved.

@TSP
Thanks for your work, and you did the right thing by the way, even if some people don't like it you do it for free so there is nothing to complain about it!

Dex-chan lover
Oi, that's too much. You can wrap your heads around puns as much as you can but change facts like numbers is NG. Even I was confused about such small number. If there was no explanation page and I was speaking about it with someone who read the original, I would have had big problems. Please, don't do that any more.

Users who are viewing this thread