Kare to Kanojo no Sentaku - Vol. 3 Ch. 14

Dex-chan lover
people would still somehow find reasons to discriminate despite the fact that: the victims have no control over
There are more examples, in real life or in manga, for when the vicitim suffers discrimination despite having no control over the aspect that is being discriminated against, than there is for when people stop discrimination when they learn that the victim had no say in possesing said aspect.
I mean, that's basically how racism works

Group Leader
Why did I write all that? Well hopefully you can understand my disappoitment when I tell you that the two characters who are the most attracted to each other, don't end up together. It ends in a very vanilla way and it feels like the author wrote the manga more as a lecture or awareness message about trans issues. So if you expect some kind of insightful romance story, this is not it. Save yourself from the anticipation...
Assuming no 🧢, I somewhat kinda expected that.

Manga authors seemingly almost ALWAYS go the opposite direction than what their readers want.

Dex-chan lover
Hi, I am going to be real with you guys: this manga looks very good but the author is very aware of this and is using it to keep your brain distracted.

Lately a lot of these TS manga have been less fun and more serious about Trans issues.

Take this manga for example, if a diseases existed that turned biological men into biological women, then they would probably not be treated any different from real women. I mean the girl has lady parts and even a period that means that she can get pregnant.

Here is what is dumb about it: this author is trying to convince the audience that in a world of full gender switch, people would still somehow find reasons to discriminate despite the fact that: the victims have no control over the transformation and that the transformation is complete...

Why did I write all that? Well hopefully you can understand my disappoitment when I tell you that the two characters who are the most attracted to each other, don't end up together. It ends in a very vanilla way and it feels like the author wrote the manga more as a lecture or awareness message about trans issues. So if you expect some kind of insightful romance story, this is not it. Save yourself from the anticipation...
People tend to discriminate over the most stupid reasons even if there is nothing true about it. It happens in real life, it happens very often too.
Homeless people, people born a certain race, people born with a medical condition, people with certain sexual or gender dispositions, people raised with certain values, etc.
All circumstances out of their control, yet discrimination persists everywhere. It's common, and sadly so.

Dex-chan lover
People tend to discriminate over the most stupid reasons even if there is nothing true about it. It happens in real life, it happens very often too.
Homeless people, people born a certain race, people born with a medical condition, people with certain sexual or gender dispositions, people raised with certain values, etc.
All circumstances out of their control, yet discrimination persists everywhere. It's common, and sadly so.
I completely agree with your comment. At the same time, I kind of think like: okay so according to this Manga's logic this thing happens pretty often (1 in 10K or 1 in 1K I think) and... how can I put this?
It feels like the author is intentionally putting on the best case scenario for just one side of the argument making me question the whole argument. LIke if every case of Gender switch in their world is like Haruka ot her collegue at work, then why is there an argument? They look just like or even better than natural born girls. Then the argument would be: trust us, it just is. We don't have to explain it. You either get it or you're one of them... (where is the nuance? Arguments happen because of nuance and grey zones)

By that, I mean this: Haruka is the most beautiful woman in the manga. The most beautiful human even. The author is trying to say, "Yeah, but that is not enough."

If Haruka was just a lanky androgynous character calling themselves a woman, I would believe in the discrimination angle.

I am noticing this growing trend in Manga recently where Manga is starting to be changed from being an entertainment space to a preaching space and that could have only come from western Influence. The same western influences that have run their comics companies into the ground and had to sell off their creative freedom to giant corporations.
I hope Manga isn't making that same mistake just yet.

I saw the same thing in comics: they attract you with a cover and they preach to you a message inside... manga does this very well by actually having good art though...

Dex-chan lover
They literally just won’t directly explore the idea of gender and sexuality as an LGBTQIA+ topic. In a manga about someone who’s gender isn’t their assigned at birth anymore and they like men. Like bro, do people just wanna explore the male best friend that I want to be my girlfriend, but in a way where “it’s not gay”?
Pretty much

Dex-chan lover
it's kinda weird that this manga chose to go with a magic sex change thing instead of just making the characters trans, even with the earlier chapters with the cute lesbian couple they just avoided mentioning any actual lgbt topics like it was the plague

but i guess that's how things are still in japan for the most part which is unfortunate
I dont want to read about two gay dudes

Group Leader
Hi, I am going to be real with you guys: this manga looks very good but the author is very aware of this and is using it to keep your brain distracted.

Lately a lot of these TS manga have been less fun and more serious about Trans issues.

Take this manga for example, if a diseases existed that turned biological men into biological women, then they would probably not be treated any different from real women. I mean the girl has lady parts and even a period that means that she can get pregnant.

Here is what is dumb about it: this author is trying to convince the audience that in a world of full gender switch, people would still somehow find reasons to discriminate despite the fact that: the victims have no control over the transformation and that the transformation is complete...

YES. YES people would discriminate! Now, if the gender switch happened to everyone or even 1/4 to 1/2 of all people then you would have a point, but do you think if there was a condition that effected about 1 in 10000 people that they wouldn't be trampled on? Have you SEEN how minorities are treated throughout history? Personally I would have liked if the manga went more into this side of the situation, like what excuses do people use? How widespread is the abuse? But they clearly wanted to keep it more lighthearted

But yes, the ending might disappoint some people if they were expecting a romance. Personally I kind of like this ending even if it's a bit bitter sweet

Last edited:
Group Leader
By that, I mean this: Haruka is the most beautiful woman in the manga. The most beautiful human even. The author is trying to say, "Yeah, but that is not enough."

If Haruka was just a lanky androgynous character calling themselves a woman, I would believe in the discrimination angle.
You think....good looking people can't be discriminated against?

Dex-chan lover
YES. YES people would discriminate! Now, if the gender switch happened to everyone or even 1/4 to 1/2 of all people then you would have a point, but do you think if there was a condition that effected about 1 in 10000 people that they wouldn't be trampled on? Have you SEEN how minorities are treated throughout history? Personally I would have liked if the manga went more into this side of the situation, like what excuses do people use? How widespread is the abuse? But they clearly wanted to keep it more lighthearted

But yes, the ending might disappoint some people if they were expecting a romance. Personally I kind of like this ending even if it's a bit bitter sweet
We used to discriminated left-handed people and they made a little over 10% of the population.
We used to say about red haired people that they have no soul.
We even used to call people who like to cosplay: weirdos and exhibitionists or worse.
We used to treat Rock and Roll music as noise.l

Trends change when it becomes normalized. And this thing would definitely be on all the media and normalized already.

As for your second commend
You think....good looking people can't be discriminated against?
No, I am not saying that good looking people can't get discriminated! I am just saying that in case both Chris Hemsworth and Jonah Hill walked into a bar in a Nordic country and starting hitting on women, one of them might walk out with some phone numbers and the other with some harassment charges...

Group Leader
Trends change when it becomes normalized. And this thing would definitely be on all the media and normalized already.
I mean, oftentimes things take decades if not centuries to normalize. But yeah, this manga doesn't really go into any details on most things so a lot is left to the imagination

Fed-Kun's army
Why not have characters with "TS disease" decide to keep living as their original gender? Why are men who are turned into women suddenly forced to live as women? Or characters who are transgender suddenly have a body that aligns with their gender identity?
That's Japan for you. The less you stand out the better, and conforming to traditional roles is more socially acceptable.

how is being trans "political" lol
Story might not be necessarily about lgbt. A lot of gender bender mangas exist simply for the sake of existing, because it'd make for a cute love story or something. You seem like a guy/girl that'd always mention lgbt somewhere even when it's not really applicable. Like here, randomly transforming into the other gender is certainly different from being trans, plot wouldn't be the same. Like the guy above me mentioned, first group didn't want it, second group did. Anyway, your comment felt out of place, so I felt like you're being political about it

Thanks for the chapter.

in regards to discussion on transgender stuff, it seems like Japan tends to like the "gender bender" genre since it definitely appears a lot more often in manga vs most Western media, but as a society still pretty heavily adheres to strict gender roles. When looking at gender bender or TS stories through a transgender lens, esp a nonbinary one, they can feel pretty regressive and almost frustrating. The concept of gender in a lot of these stories is strictly tied to binary sex and enforced upon these characters by their peers, society, and themselves.

Tho I'd like to see more transgender and nonbinary characters and more nuanced exploration of gender in manga, I at least find some level of comfort and catharsis in GB/TS stories (that aren't pure fetish material lol) since the Ranma ½ days and we're starting to see more of that exploration in TS stories like Zenbu Kimi no Sei. We're also seeing more stories with expressly trans characters like Boys Run the Riot and After School Mate.

Though I do enjoy gender bender stories on their own I'd love to see more really explore the concept of gender vs sex on a societal level. Why not have characters with "TS disease" decide to keep living as their original gender? Why are men who are turned into women suddenly forced to live as women? Or characters who are transgender suddenly have a body that aligns with their gender identity? I'd love to see more stuff like that explored in uniquely fictional GB stories
Thanks for making this reply, have been looking for trans manga where they actually present being trans seriously and not as cliche or a gag, enjoying boys run the riot so far :)

Aggregator gang
Pretty much
Its the most roundabout way to say you’re romantically interested in your male best friend though LMAO. It’s queer no matter what way you look at it. “Yeah bro if you were like a girl/tomboy I’d theoretically bang you and marry you” like alright my man. Sure you can make this your focus and be valid even if it’s goofy, but like why make a character be oblivious to a current affirming identity and not open their perspective on love being beyond the parts you have currently. People’s ideas of themselves would change when their body and gender aren’t congruent! Make them find some real solace and date you. Goofball author, goddamn.

Dex-chan lover
Its the most roundabout way to say you’re romantically interested in your male best friend though LMAO. It’s queer no matter what way you look at it. “Yeah bro if you were like a girl/tomboy I’d theoretically bang you and marry you” like alright my man. Sure you can make this your focus and be valid even if it’s goofy, but like why make a character be oblivious to a current affirming identity and not open their perspective on love being beyond the parts you have currently. People’s ideas of themselves would change when their body and gender aren’t congruent! Make them find some real solace and date you. Goofball author, goddamn.
Because typically men look for feminine features. The first being the chest

it's kinda weird that this manga chose to go with a magic sex change thing instead of just making the characters trans, even with the earlier chapters with the cute lesbian couple they just avoided mentioning any actual lgbt topics like it was the plague

but i guess that's how things are still in japan for the most part which is unfortunate
Thats getting to me as well. But in a different way. Mainly in a different way though. Like does testosterone just not exist in this world. Its really hard to think of Haruka as a woman because he really doesnt seem to like being seen that way. The way he acts has changed but it seems down to a desire to fit in. Like a lot of GB protags come across as eggs but Haruka just doesnt, he doesnt even seem ambivalant about the change. If he could change back it seems like hed take the chance which honestly makes the story feel kinda tragic.
In general I'd prefer it to "he got turned into a girl and now wants boys" usually bit the author feels unaware of how tragic the story is

Supporter
but trans people WANT to change.
I mean yes... BUT if only it was this simple.
I will go a little bit out side of the discussion about what the manga should or shouldn't but for some trans people the thing they want to change is their idea of being trans, they try to denied this part of themself because it is easier to pretend everything is fine that to "jump" into the "unknow" and transition (+ all the stigma that society have)... And most often are hurting themself in the process.
could make an interesting story but it would have the drama tag

Also something pretty interesting about Japan and transgender people but instead of making a poorly written comment here a interesting video about that

Thanks for the spoiler. I don't have to waste my time waiting for this crap.

Dex-chan lover

nobody wants to read your toxic lgbt shit. cry more.

Users who are viewing this thread