Keikenchi Chochiku de Nonbiri Shoushin Ryokou ~Yuusha to Koibito ni Tsuihou sareta Senshi no Mujikaku zama~ - Ch. 22

Dex-chan lover
Yep called it. It's like the brainwashing hero in moon led journey, once its broken they want to kill themselves.
Its honestly the only way to redeem a brainwashed character. Last chapter, i was wondering how the author would redeem these characters, but this worked for me.

What's with Isekai/fantasy/mmo-esque MCs and slavery recently? I get that most of these are just power-fantasy stories, but this is getting ridiculous lol. Just overplayed really.
I guess shield-hero is to blame, but I get the feeling this is before that.
no, its not. let me go into why.
one of the most powerful magics in pretty much any mmo, any setting with magic, is going to be domination/charm effectively, this is slavery magic because that's what the magic makes you.
Imagine a world where magic exists, would it realistically still have prisons for low level criminals? you would have a tiered slave system.
if someone, in this case, a friend, decided they wanted to kill themselves, do you think if anyone cared about them they wouldn't make them a slave and forbid it? this isn't the first time this concept came up.

the slavery systems in manga like these, isekai and betrayal/esq, are very simple to understand, mc does not know who to trust, so who can you trust? someone bound to you. this is why slavery is a commonish trope in fantasy, its actually fairly realistic for the setting, I guarantee you any setting with magic also has a very in depth, probably the most researched part of magic, sex tree, but because these aren't hentai no one goes into it. these two trees are just the most realistic branches of magic if magic is allowed to exist in them.

essentially you have a culture that isn't hung up on talking about slavery like it's the biggest taboo ever, making a relatively thought out magic system. it's not a trend that will ever die as long as the genres exist, and even then, slavery is FAR better than a prison system when you don't have a modern society, because if you don't have excess, prisons are kind of really hard to justify. slavery is just a concept that will never go away in a fantasy setting that's trying to be somewhat grounded.

Dex-chan lover
"brainwashed and controlled"... that sounds like a slave to me ¯\(ツ)
It's different.
A normal Slave knows he/she is a bound to a person to do their bidding.

A Brainwashed person doesn't know they are being controlled and might even consider that whatever they are doing is by their own will. In a way you can say that the present notion of Corporate Slave falls under this category, as people like those don't know they are being manipulated and just keep on working.

Fed-Kun's army
Did MC save Soara from slavery too ? Or MC too late to save her because someone already buy her ?
He finds he near the capital as newly stocked slaves on the way to the store and just buys here the and there. So not too late.

Dex-chan lover
no, its not. let me go into why.
one of the most powerful magics in pretty much any mmo, any setting with magic, is going to be domination/charm effectively, this is slavery magic because that's what the magic makes you.
Imagine a world where magic exists, would it realistically still have prisons for low level criminals? you would have a tiered slave system.
if someone, in this case, a friend, decided they wanted to kill themselves, do you think if anyone cared about them they wouldn't make them a slave and forbid it? this isn't the first time this concept came up.

the slavery systems in manga like these, isekai and betrayal/esq, are very simple to understand, mc does not know who to trust, so who can you trust? someone bound to you. this is why slavery is a commonish trope in fantasy, its actually fairly realistic for the setting, I guarantee you any setting with magic also has a very in depth, probably the most researched part of magic, sex tree, but because these aren't hentai no one goes into it. these two trees are just the most realistic branches of magic if magic is allowed to exist in them.

essentially you have a culture that isn't hung up on talking about slavery like it's the biggest taboo ever, making a relatively thought out magic system. it's not a trend that will ever die as long as the genres exist, and even then, slavery is FAR better than a prison system when you don't have a modern society, because if you don't have excess, prisons are kind of really hard to justify. slavery is just a concept that will never go away in a fantasy setting that's trying to be somewhat grounded.
To add to this, Modern Prisons are mostly just there for show as they don't really have much impact on the convict.

I mean they treat prison as rehabilitation center, but majority of convicts either stay inside there their whole life or when they are set free after completing their sentence, they just continue committing more crime (only a few percentage of convicts actually change after their sentence).
Plus in a way prisons are a burden on society as they run on public taxes, so people have to pay for convicts to goof-around in one place who don't do a thing in return.

Atleast some countries have the notion of prison workshop where the convicts are made to create stuff so that they learn new skills while also earning some income. But that's rare and most of the time prisoners just stay locked up doing nothing. And in the case of some high profile criminal (like a politician or terrorist or businessman), prison sentence isn't that different for them compared to a vacation in a 2 or 3 star hotel accommodation.

Dex-chan lover
The person who brainwashed her was unforgivable, but you're not much better yourself, MC you slave driver :/
I don't think it's good, but it's far better than unforgivable. He's at least doing it with the intention of helping her.

Its honestly the only way to redeem a brainwashed character. Last chapter, i was wondering how the author would redeem these characters, but this worked for me.
I don't think it's the only way, but it's a way that sort of works. Generally I think that if someone's brainwashed, the fault lies with the brainwasher, not the brainwashed.

Imagine a world where magic exists, would it realistically still have prisons for low level criminals?
Prisons didn't really exist much as punishment before America started using them as such. Before it was more about jailing people until they got their punishment, which was usually slavery, death, or some lesser form of physical punishment.

Magic would make slavery a more reliable option, and thus more common. That way the criminal would be giving some value back.

essentially you have a culture that isn't hung up on talking about slavery like it's the biggest taboo ever
When a lot of people think about slavery today, they think about American slavery. That's a more modern take on slavery than what existed back before people started settling over there.

Atleast some countries have the notion of prison workshop where the convicts are made to create stuff so that they learn new skills while also earning some income.
That's sometimes pretty much slavery, but never called as such.

Because of the story beats, I forgot that this wasn't isekai lol
I sometimes call these stories "isekai-likes", because they usually have a protagonist who acts like an isekaied person, even if they aren't.

Dex-chan lover
why being slave of one guy when you can be the slave of another guy huh... slavery is always the answer if you are a female in a generic shounen power fantasy manga... Edit: Normally I don't mind the slave trope in isekais but thinking that's the ONLY solution is very stupid... Edit2: Specially in a setting where literally magic exist...
Actually for once it make sense.
From one side the slave contract make him prevent her to kill herself. From the other side she can cope with her betrayal using her status as slave as a "punishment" for what she did during her brainwashing and redeem herself.
I would say that between all slavery manga inwhich i have seen this trope until now this is the situation that make most sense for a relationship between a "happy slave" and a "slaver hero".

Dex-chan lover
Actually for once it make sense.
From one side the slave contract make him prevent her to kill herself. From the other side she can cope with her betrayal using her status as slave as a "punishment" for what she did during her brainwashing and redeem herself.
I would say that between all slavery manga inwhich i have seen this trope until now this is the situation that make most sense for a relationship between a "happy slave" and a "slaver hero".
They literally can use magic, if the author really wanted a solution without relying on the slave trope they could very easily do it, like erasing her memories or something. It wasn't the only solution and not even the best one, but there is a very simple reason why it was slavery... this is a very cliché harem manga trying to fulfill a fetish, and the more power to the people that actually like that, but let's not kid ourselves, the in-world reasoning was very stupid...

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
It's different.
A normal Slave knows he/she is a bound to a person to do their bidding.

A Brainwashed person doesn't know they are being controlled and might even consider that whatever they are doing is by their own will. In a way you can say that the present notion of Corporate Slave falls under this category, as people like those don't know they are being manipulated and just keep on working.
Slavery is restricting someone of their free will, if the slave is aware of it or not, is irrelevant.... you even used the term "slave" in both of your statements, indirectly admitting that both are slavery...

Dex-chan lover
I suppose even if it isnt a perfect solution it surely is one thing he cn do to ensure she doesnt commit sewerslide, and perhaps get her to look past and get over the trauma of what she's been thru

Fed-Kun's army
They literally can use magic, if the author really wanted a solution without relying on the slave trope they could very easily do it, like erasing her memories or something. It wasn't the only solution and not even the best one, but there is a very simple reason why it was slavery... this is a very cliché harem manga trying to fulfill a fetish, and the more power to the people that actually like that, but let's not kid ourselves, the in-world reasoning was very stupid...
Erasing memories is far more stupid. It makes the entire trauma meaningless and it actually inhibits the characters growth.
I get people hate slavery, but that doesn't mean it's bad for the story. It simply means you just don't like it.

Dex-chan lover
I don't think it's the only way, but it's a way that sort of works. Generally I think that if someone's brainwashed, the fault lies with the brainwasher, not the brainwashed.
Its definitely the brainwashers fault, but i, personally, cant stand the "i dont remeber anything while i was mind controlled, teehee" resolutions. This result gives a gravity to the mind controlled persons conscious making you hate the brainwasher more. MC was right when he told her it wasnt her fault. This solution makes me hate the brainwasher while also pitying the brainwashed more than other solutions would have.

Fed-Kun's army
Before the brainwash the girl was his friend and kind to mc. He knows that if he let she by herself she will try suicide, thats why he put the slave contract, as a mean so that she think the "sins" she committed are being payed, what will easy her mind, and with this contract she has the certainty he will not abandon her. is really that hard to understand the premise behind the author thoughts?

jak

Contributor
Slavery existed in this world as general practice just a few centuries ago. There are still people who are basically slaves (such as women who have been had passports stolen and are forced to work in the "sex industry").
Oh gee really? I didn't know... /s My point still stands.

Dex-chan lover
I don't think it's good, but it's far better than unforgivable. He's at least doing it with the intention of helping her.

Prisons didn't really exist much as punishment before America started using them as such. Before it was more about jailing people until they got their punishment, which was usually slavery, death, or some lesser form of physical punishment.

Magic would make slavery a more reliable option, and thus more common. That way the criminal would be giving some value back.

When a lot of people think about slavery today, they think about American slavery. That's a more modern take on slavery than what existed back before people started settling over there.

That's sometimes pretty much slavery, but never called as such.

I sometimes call these stories "isekai-likes", because they usually have a protagonist who acts like an isekaied person, even if they aren't.

"isekai-likes"
A certain website sometimes refer to them as "native-isekai"

Users who are viewing this thread